Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spray in liner VS. Slide in liner

Old 04-17-2003, 07:07 PM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Spray in liner VS. Slide in liner

I have had a slide in liner before, and I liked it very much except for what it did to the paint in my bed. The problem I see with spray in liners, is that they would not be dent resistant, or scratch resistant. I used to slide axles and engines and all sorts of stuff on my slide in liner, I might get a few shavings off it, but nothing went through. I think If I was dropping loads of rocks on the spray on, it would dent the bed of the truck and scratch off the spray on coating. Has this happened to anyone?

Old 04-17-2003, 07:56 PM
Buckarcher
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Linex spray-on in my newer Super-Duty and a slide in liner in my 92. Yes it will dent, the little nicks and dings won't do it, but 200 lb oak log did a number on my tailgate, but my experience with the slide in liner in my other truck is that a force that large will dent through that one too. I have tried to scratch the liner and it holds up better than the slide in that I have in the older truck. I am seriously considering taking the plastic liner out, sandblasting/priming the bed and having it sprayed too. The truck isn't worth much though so I am not sure if it is worth it. Actually what I will likely do is wait until the wheel wells finish rusting through and then replace the bed and get that one sprayed.

Old 04-21-2003, 10:51 PM
theologian
Postmaster

I have a herculiner painted on liner in my old banger truck, (F150) and it does not get gouged out by all the junk I throw in there. I have a reflex liner sprayed into the '96 that seems very tough, much better than the plastic junk in the '02. I intend to change that one to a spray in one soon.

Theo

Old 04-21-2003, 11:49 PM
Hi Ho
Senior User

I don't have a bed liner in my 1977 F-250. Just a peice of plywood. I really beat it up too. Rocks, jagged metal, tools, dirt, just about anything. The paint is really tough and I don't have any rust in the bed.

Old 04-24-2003, 01:06 AM
damonlan
Senior User

Look here.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...threadid=98710

My response in that thread is kind of winded but informative. If you want to keep your truck pretty, I'll understand.

Old 04-26-2003, 01:49 PM
Karic
Elder User

I really don't care for the plastic "liners" due to the condensation build up underneath. I've seen some ugly results.

I thought a rubber mat would generate the same problems, so I used plywood for years. Then I found this:

It's a piece of rubber floor matting. I scored this chunk from the Air Force guys here at the airport. This really works well, the ventilation holes allow everything the dry out and it's easy to remove to clean under it.

Unfortunately no one could tell me where to buy it, but any large industrial supply outlet should have the snap-together stuff and it would work just as well. The similar stuff we use in our fire truck compartments is about $10CDN per square foot piece, snaps together and is easily cut with a utility knife.

Just another idea,

Rick

Old 04-27-2003, 01:22 AM
damonlan
Senior User

-karic-

No that is a cool liner. A+ for the grab. Even I would be tempted if I could score one of those.

Old 05-05-2003, 11:06 PM
Bikeitswift
Senior User
Lightbulb Spray in liner VS. Slide in liner

My 63 F100 is nice, but the bed is horribly lumped up. The spray liner the prvious owner put in couldn't hide those lumps. Now (look at my gallery) I've put in a piece of 3/4" Pressure Treated Plywood, and bolted some $5.00 swap meet strips(guess that's what Chevy parts are worth), add new carriage bolts and washers, an angle iron "lip" at the tail end...Whalaa!! About $30.00, looks great, and could always be repaired (the plywood was $21.00) cheaply. I'm gonna make "filler" pieces for the area in front and rear of the wheel wells. I'd put the picture here, but I don't know how. I've had more than a few fellow truckers kick themselves for spending $400.00 more. Not show grade, but very nice in a driver.