Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel swap

Old 12-27-2011, 10:49 PM
FallstonYJ
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel swap

I think its been about a year since I last checked so I thought I would take another shot.

Does anyone have any experience or information on swapping a steering wheel with the hvac and audio controls in to an EX without controls? I have had the new steering wheel for well over a year but have been hesitant to tear in to the swap because I have never found any definitive info. on here about it.

Thanks for any help,
Tom

Old 12-27-2011, 11:11 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know what you mean. I took a shot in the dark here, and so far so good. I intend to take the radio out of my new Ex and put it in this one to see if the radio controls will work.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...xs-how-to.html

Old 12-27-2011, 11:26 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by FallstonYJ
I think its been about a year since I last checked so I thought I would take another shot.

Does anyone have any experience or information on swapping a steering wheel with the hvac and audio controls in to an EX without controls? I have had the new steering wheel for well over a year but have been hesitant to tear in to the swap because I have never found any definitive info. on here about it.

Thanks for any help,
Tom
I think you have to have the electronic HVAC controls...and the right wiring harness. Does yours have the electronic controls on the dash?

Old 12-28-2011, 12:57 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
1. You have to have the harness inside the steering column...or install them like Sunline Fan did
2. The harness has to run from the column to the radio
3. Your radio has to be capable of this

It's really not that hard to do. just make sure you have all 3 of the above. The link above is good reading. I've been prepping a similar swap for my 06 F-250 to use a F-150 wheel. Some day I'll tear into it and do the darn thing

Old 12-28-2011, 08:21 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Tylus
1. You have to have the harness inside the steering column...or install them like Sunline Fan did
2. The harness has to run from the column to the radio
3. Your radio has to be capable of this

It's really not that hard to do. just make sure you have all 3 of the above. The link above is good reading. I've been prepping a similar swap for my 06 F-250 to use a F-150 wheel. Some day I'll tear into it and do the darn thing
So the radio then sends the signal to the heater/ac controls? Wouldn't he also need to have the electronic heat/air and a connector for that?

Old 12-28-2011, 08:32 PM
FallstonYJ
Senior User

I am assuming I have the electronic HVAC system even though I don't have the steering wheel controls. It has the auto temp feature and you set the desired temperature with digital readout on the dash?

I find it hard to believe that the necessary harness would not already be in place for the steering wheel controls. Can't believe they would wire each truck differently based on which steering wheel it receives but maybe that's just wishful thinking??

One of these days I will dig the box out with the new steering wheel in it and just dive in!...........(Just need to make sure I won't need to drive the EX for a couple of days in case I have problems.)

Old 12-28-2011, 08:50 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
I am assuming I have the electronic HVAC system even though I don't have the steering wheel controls. It has the auto temp feature and you set the desired temperature with digital readout on the dash?

I find it hard to believe that the necessary harness would not already be in place for the steering wheel controls. Can't believe they would wire each truck differently based on which steering wheel it receives but maybe that's just wishful thinking??

One of these days I will dig the box out with the new steering wheel in it and just dive in!...........(Just need to make sure I won't need to drive the EX for a couple of days in case I have problems.)
Ok, so you do have the controller, now do you have the harness? I wouldn't be shocked to see the harness not there. Everything in assembly lines are 'modular', and if the manufacturer can save money by not including another 50 feet of wire that would sit unused, they WILL save that $1 in materials.

Think of it...you pay the raw material cost, then additional time (labor) making the harness just to not use it. Why do that if you don't need to?

In any event, if the wires are NOT there, then you should still be able to add the harness leads. Not saying it would be easy (might be fairly difficult in the 'cut knuckles' department), but it could be done. I'd imagine so long as it doesn't have to go through the main computer (GEM/ECM/some other acronym) that it can be added.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:44 PM
FallstonYJ
Senior User

I am sure you are correct......if they can save $1 per vehicle they will. I guess I just need to do more research and try to have everything on hand that I could possibly need before I open her up.

Thanks for your input!

Old 12-28-2011, 11:13 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
I am sure you are correct......if they can save $1 per vehicle they will. I guess I just need to do more research and try to have everything on hand that I could possibly need before I open her up.

Thanks for your input!
If I were you, I'd check the Ford parts web site and get as many exploded views that you can...and if you are lucky you can find a crashed X at a pick and pull and do a little 'exploratory surgery' while you are there.

So long as you don't destroy parts or steal anything, I'd imagine the owner wouldn't have a problem with you operating on a cadaver truck to learn what you are going to get into on your own.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:29 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager

Yes, you have the electronic HVAC. The other style has three manual *****, one for fan, one for temp, and one for where the air comes out and if it does. They put that style in the earlier Limiteds, but it remained in the XLT when the electronic version came out.

As long as you take the time to disconnect the battery, pull the airbag, pull the steering wheel, pull the clockspring, and then replace with the new clockspring, steering wheel, and then the airbag, you can leave the wiring for later. The plugs for the airbag parts are the same between the two, so you can still drive the truck complete with airbags. You'll just not have horn, cruise, or any of your new buttons until you wire it up.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:35 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
Yes, you have the electronic HVAC. The other style has three manual *****, one for fan, one for temp, and one for where the air comes out and if it does. They put that style in the earlier Limiteds, but it remained in the XLT when the electronic version came out.

As long as you take the time to disconnect the battery, pull the airbag, pull the steering wheel, pull the clockspring, and then replace with the new clockspring, steering wheel, and then the airbag, you can leave the wiring for later. The plugs for the airbag parts are the same between the two, so you can still drive the truck complete with airbags. You'll just not have horn, cruise, or any of your new buttons until you wire it up.
Sunline Fan...so what is involved in adding the electronic heat/ac controls...can it be done to a Limited that has the old manual style?

Old 12-29-2011, 12:01 AM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
That I don't know. I imagine it would be somewhat difficult, but I really have no idea how the manual style works. I've never had one. If the manual style doesn't have vacuum operated blend doors (are they cable driven to the *****?), then it would be really involved. If they are vacuum operated doors that are computer controlled and the ***** are just a different way to input what you want, then it might be possible without major mods.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:17 AM
FallstonYJ
Senior User

Does anyone know the correct Ford part # for the clock spring that works with the steering wheel controls?

"If I were you, I'd check the Ford parts web site and get as many exploded views that you can...and if you are lucky you can find a crashed X at a pick and pull and do a little 'exploratory surgery' while you are there."

Is there a specific web site that you are referring to?

Thanks for all of the replies thus far!

Old 12-30-2011, 11:33 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Does anyone know the correct Ford part # for the clock spring that works with the steering wheel controls?

"If I were you, I'd check the Ford parts web site and get as many exploded views that you can...and if you are lucky you can find a crashed X at a pick and pull and do a little 'exploratory surgery' while you are there."

Is there a specific web site that you are referring to?

Thanks for all of the replies thus far!
Official Ford Parts Site | Buy Motorcraft & OEM Ford Parts Online | FordParts.com

Old 12-30-2011, 11:35 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
That I don't know. I imagine it would be somewhat difficult, but I really have no idea how the manual style works. I've never had one. If the manual style doesn't have vacuum operated blend doors (are they cable driven to the *****?), then it would be really involved. If they are vacuum operated doors that are computer controlled and the ***** are just a different way to input what you want, then it might be possible without major mods.
They were in my 97 Expy (the Expy had a pinhole leak in the blend door, so I pulled the controls to to try to find the leak).