1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

58 f100 Suspension Swap

Old 12-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Jrf100
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 58 f100 Suspension Swap

I have a 1958 f100 that i am building from ground up. My plans are to bag the truck. I am looking for a suspension for my f100. Does anyone know about a cost efficient swap. My buddy told me about grabbing a suspension of a 74-78 mustang ii, but the track width is 55.6, I need something in the 60''. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Old 12-24-2011, 11:00 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The original MII suspension is too weak for a pickup. Track width is a useless dimension as wheel width along with offset affect it. What do you consider cost effective? You have a couple inexpensive options for the rear. MN12 IRS or 4 bar. How low do you want to go?

Old 12-24-2011, 11:18 PM
Jrf100
New User
I am just interested in upgrading the front suspension right now, the rear i am going to put links and bag it. I was planing on maybe a mustang ii conversion. I dont want to cut the chasis, but dont mind trimming and welding. I have seen people use the crown vic front suspension. What are some good recomendations? The lower the better.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:16 AM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
If you are wanting to slam it the MII style IFS units are probably the best overall choice. Not an original MII but the kits made by TCI, Fatman, Bob's F100 etc. Cost will vary depending on what you want. The CV IFS swap will drop it for considerably less money but you won't be able to slam the truck along with I have yet to see bags for the front even though people say they exist. Why bags? I have a CV IFS with 1 1/2" drop springs and a MN12 IRS with 1/2 coil cut. I have pics of the truck next to stock trucks and a few with me next to it. I am 5'11".

The FORDification.com Forums • View topic - 1970 F100 CV/Thunderbird

Another option and not all that expensive would be a frame swap. Swapping in a '03-'11 Crown Vic chassis will get the truck down. Stir in the drop springs and it will be downright low. I seen a thread where a guy did it on a '61 Unibody style pickup.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:22 AM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
I know on the 70's trucks a lot of guys also run a camaro front suspension or even a newer full size Chevy front suspension. If you plan to bodydrop the truck on a big wheel and tire you may find that the mustang II suspension doesn't get enough travel. Just something to think about.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Jrf100
New User
I wanna go with air ride to just have a different type of style. Everyone usually makes them look stock, i want to go further than stock. I am looking into mii kits, but i am stuck on what kit to get. I am looking more to wards the heidts. Any suggestions?

Old 12-26-2011, 03:30 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Perhaps someone with air ride can help out with more info. I watched a Chevrolet that was bagged blow either a bag or line to the left front and there he sat on the rail at 6:00 on a Saturday night. No way to drive it, no way to fix it until Monday, only choice is a rollback if they would pull it up on their alum bed. Not too sure how you would get it off short of chaining it to a tree and pulling the truck out from under it. That was the deciding factor for me. I was going to bag my truck until I seen that.

I have not done a MII suspension but a friend of mine is doing a TCI kit on a '56 Chevrolet panel. It is a pretty slick kit. Came with boxing plates, crossmember and all parts specific for the truck. Reasonably easy to follow instructs.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:54 PM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
Using air for the only means of support does add some additional variables. Whenever I travel far I always take some spare fittings, air line and sometimes a spare bag if I have the room.

If installed correctly, airbags can be incredibly reliable. Everything from motorbike's, buses and even ambulances use them everyday. The biggest difference is that depending on how low you plan to go if you have a problem you end up having to fix it on the road, might not be able to nurse it down the road.

With that being said I commend you on going with air. It is an addiction once you've had it. It's a great way to stand apart from the crowd and can give your truck an amazing stance.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:45 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
IMHO bags are very reliable when used as originally designed in a suspension that can still function if the bag blows. Example being semi tractors & trailers but they are sprung using bags as an additional. Ford did bags on some of their cars but when the compressor went out (pretty common on those old Fords) the vehicle sat low but was still driveable.

I would bag my truck IF it could be set up like the old Lincolns that when they failed the vehicle was still driveable. I would hate to be stranded all because I didn't have that one piece that would fix it in the truck with me. Being able to drive it into the next town or home and dealing with it then would be nice. I have no complaints out of my coil springs. A friend of mine with a Lincoln said once I go air I would never go back to springs.

What would you recommend that would fit my situation? I have a '05 Crown Vic IFS & a MN12 IRS out of a '95 TBird.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:14 AM
Jrf100
New User
Well you could set up your system so that it will still be drivable when your ride is comletely aired out. I am planing on doing this for my 58. Also i had air ride on my car and never had a problem. As long as you install everything with care and use the correct fitting, valves, wirering, ect. You should be fine. I helped my brother build a 88 ranger, it has bags all around and we live in the bay area. Each year we drive it to car shows all around the area and to fresno. I am pretty comfortable around air ride suspension. To avoid air leaks just get hydraulic line. There are many different setups just do some research and look to see what is more reliable.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:51 AM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
Originally Posted by elgemcdlf

What would you recommend that would fit my situation? I have a '05 Crown Vic IFS & a MN12 IRS out of a '95 TBird.
I've never personally bagged an IRS, but I have seen quite a few. What you may be able to get away with in the front and rear is adding a cup setup similar to this:

This would allow you to bolt into the factory spring pockets. They offer a universal kit so that you can make the cups to your desired height. The one pictured is designed for an S10, but the concept would be the same.

I've seen a lot of guys run the bags on top of the upper control arm, or on a lever to the lower such as this:

The only problem is if not done right the airbag can end up twisting, such as those in the picture. This doesn't necessarily destroy the airbag, but it isn't recommended.

As for the bag itself, you should be able to run around a 2600 size or worst case a 2500. The major difference in the two is size. The 2600 should have about an 8" diameter and the 2500 is a 7" diameter.

To fit either size you may have to trim the spring pocket.

Also while searching for a picture I came across this site, might help you out some although most of the pictures are not visible.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:34 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
The MN12 came with bags on some Lincolns. My upper mounts are set up for either coils or bags. I don't want to bag it if I am left on the rails when completely out of air. The front is coilovers. They are big coilovers to the point some people mistake them as struts. The bag would have to be like a donut shape so the shock could extend through.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:51 PM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
I understand what you are looking for, I wasn't sure if that was the style yours was it not.

We also offer universal kits for applications such as yours.

http://www.airliftperformance.com/ap...niversal-kits/

If you look on the right hand side of that page, you will see the different universal kits we offer. There is also a link to specs on each of the kits we offer.

These would require some fabrication on your behalf but I believe that is the style you were referencing.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:29 AM
Jrf100
New User
Does anyone know the difference between the 53-56 and 57-60 f100?

Old 12-28-2011, 02:31 AM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Jrf100
Does anyone know the difference between the 53-56 and 57-60 f100?
Went from a narrow body with running boards to a full width body with no running boards.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 58 f100 Suspension Swap