6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2005 6.0 oil cooler problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 06:01 PM
busabuggy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 6.0 oil cooler problems

I have a 2005 6.0 f250 that I bought a few months ago

the previous owner recently ( within a yr) had diesel shop in MI do all this work because it blew a head gasket:

Heads machined
new onyx head gaskets
arp stud kit
new oil cooler
egr block off kit
SCT programmer

when I drove it home a 3-4 months ago 5.5 hrs drive it was fine, but the next day I noticed coolant leaking from the degas bottle.

1st tried a new degas cap

I found that the OC temp and the Coolant temp were greater than 15 degrees apart upto 40 degrees sometimes

2nd called the company that did the work because I thought the head gasket went again

they said the replaced the oil cooler and flushed the whole system but they told the owner to flush in at least 3 more times, he said the previous owner probably didn't keep flushing it and the oil cooler was probably getting clogged because when the head gasket went it contaminated everything in the cooling system and it was impossible to get it all out in one flush.

He said to try to flush it again and if that didn't work I would have to replace the oil cooler again. So I flushed it and it was better for awhile (wouldn't loose as much coolant from the degas bottle)

Now its bad again and loosing coolant, no oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil, no smoke or water out the exhaust.

So I decided to replace the oil cooler, Its on a national back order at the dealer. When I got the old one out I cut it in half with a sawsall. Well it didn't look all plugged inside like the other pics I have seen. When I blew in the inlet I could feel resistance and when I blew in the outlet side, no resistance. I shined a flash light down in the inlet side and there is about a 1/4 inch or more of black crud, I scrapped some out with a screw driver and if you rub it between your fingers its like grease???

I ordered a new oil cooler and a sinster coolant filter.

Does anyone know what this is? The middle of the cooler where I cut it in half was not plugged up that I could see, it looked pretty clean. Is the crud from the previous headgasket blowing? or any ideas? I am going to flush everything out including the block and heater core, but I don't know what this is or what it is from?

I will try to get some pics
Thanks
Brian

Old 12-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
RTV?

old headgasket material?

Soot from the HG lifting?

pics may help

Old 12-24-2011, 01:15 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel forum.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:03 AM
tharepairguy
Senior User
Sorry for your troubles but post's like this help me feel better about spending money on 70+ Gallons of distilled to flush the cooling system before I broke it down to freshen up the top end :P Would any1 like some OCD, I have plenty for every1...

Hopefully it was just crud left over from previous problem left in the cooling system. GL

Old 05-29-2012, 08:06 PM
miteldan
New User
I have the same problem and I been told it's called puking. I found product that is suppose to fix these 6.0 problems for good.
Bullet proof Diesel has a kit called Bullet proof oil system. it replaces the ford oil cooler with a exturnal oil cooler and a better designed EGR.
here is the link
BulletProof Engine Oil Systems

has anyone tried this?
I am going to.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:35 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
cut like this right down the middle the Coolant Jacket

If you dont have a Coolant filter NOW would be a good time to get one and also good time to switch to a EXtended Life Coolant CAT EC-1 Silicate Free rated ELC

the truck needs the crap flushed out of it with VC-9 cleaner with the thermostaT out and set to High Idel or 1100rpm for an hour minimum and Many Many Many flush cycles draining block drains droping the lower hose even stick a Garden hose in it at every Hose Joint and reversed flushed

OEM oil cooollers are fine once system cleaned out I flushed a Full day with cleaners and everything put a coolant filter on it drove 5K Did another day of flushing and More Cleaners changed coolant filter and Oil cooler this time all has been good for 15K

These pics are from Roasted7 a FTE Member

And yes Lots of guys run that BPD oil cooleer setup

Heres a couple pics of my oil cooler Plugged

It looked like Casting sand every coolant vein was plugged almost solid

Old 05-30-2012, 05:33 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by miteldan
I have the same problem and I been told it's called puking. I found product that is suppose to fix these 6.0 problems for good.
Bullet proof Diesel has a kit called Bullet proof oil system. it replaces the ford oil cooler with a exturnal oil cooler and a better designed EGR.
here is the link
BulletProof Engine Oil Systems

has anyone tried this?
I am going to.
I've been running the Bulletproof setup for almost 2 years now with great results.

What part of Arkansas are you from?