Smoke coming from oil dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Brian Duda
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoke coming from oil dipstick

2000 Ford 7.3L Diesel F250

I noticed the other day while my engine was running that I could here little bursts of noise. I narrowed it down to my dipstick being shot up a bit for smoke to exhaust from it then it would fall back down. When holding a flashlight to it and holding it open, I could clearly see smoke coming out of it at a steady stream. It seems to be coming out all the time, and I don't know for how long. I've also noticed an unusual amount of oil consumption occurring. I think I had to top it off with 2 quarts after maybe a tank and a half or two tanks of fuel and I just did an oil change right before those tanks (3 weeks ago) The oil change was with 10W-30 amsoil for diesel engines. It says rated for up to 95 degrees so I've been putting it in the winter time when it's definitely cold out and then mixing in 15W-40 as spring hits, doing a full change sometime around there when it gets hot to just straight 15W-40. I don't recall the problem then and my first instinct was to call Amsoil and find if I wasn't supposed to use this oil in the truck, they pointed me to it possibly being a CPB valve (or whatever it is, I forgot already PCB?) Called ford to ask where it was and they said it doesn't have one. Other things Amsoil mentioned was a going gasket or something more complex. I can't recall the specific things they suggested. It's probably not the oil itself and I'm not quite sure how long this has been going on either.

So now the question is, what could it be? What can I check for to troubleshoot? If it's something simple that needs to be replaced I want to do it, but if this sounds more major, I'll be looking for a mechanic. I have 205k miles on this thing and it's 2nd-hand, so there's no telling what has and hasn't been replaced.

Other details:I run 100% biodiesel, been running for a year and a half now without having to change a thing in the vehicle. Also been running HHO with unsuccessful gains since July, and have recently been playing with a MAP mod that might actually be working this time.

Any help? Or run to a mechanic instead?

Old 12-13-2011, 09:18 PM
robs01f250
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is called blowby and it is normal on our trucks. One test that you can do to see if it is something to worry about is to run the engine and take the oil fill cap off and turn it upside down on the fill neck and see if if blows it off. If it doesnt there isnt really anything to worry about. If it does blow it off then you may need to look at getting a mechanic to look at the rings. You could have a cracked piston

Old 12-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Brian Duda
New User
That's relieving. This is what I get for paying attention lol. I'll do the cap test tomorrow to be sure it's nothing else. I was aware that this engine likes to drink oil I just felt like it was going faster than usual. It could be my oil change was off and it was only halfway filled form the low part. I love how Ford's response was "we can't say anything until you bring it in." I don't trust those guys at all. They're so busy you cant even get something looked at the first day, takes several days of leaving it there. Expensive service is supposed to be the quick and easy way you'd think.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:14 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
If the smoke blow the drip stick out by itself I'm afraid you have a big problem. Try the cap like said above. If it blow the dip stick out the cap won't stay on either. Now I hope I'm wrong but that is not a good sign. I don't know who told you these engines use a lot of oil. I only use 1 quart in 5 thousand miles and its an e99. Some use more but most if they were taken care of don't use much. If the cap blows off not falls off you need to do a compression test to find out what cyclinder went bad. If thats the case call up amoil I would like to see if there warrinty is good for motors as stated. God bless and please report back. Chet

Old 12-14-2011, 07:53 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you done the CCV mod? If so, make sure the line is not kinked or pluged with oil. If not, check the filter on the drivers VC where the hose goes into the intake.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Brian Duda
New User
Results

I did the oil cap test. I only saw white smoke dusting out of it but there was no pressure able to blow the cap off. Just the vibration of the truck annoying slid it off.

I also found out another annoying thing doing the test. The AC compressor turns on for any heat setting except for feet only selection. It worked literally for every other setting. Is this normal for these Ford trucks? Or did my previous owner rewire this thing on me? Anyway, I pulled the plug on the compressor so it won't run. The only reason I can think of for Ford to do this is to keep lubrication on the seals during winter months. But geez I could run it myself 10 minutes a week, I don't want it running all the time!

Old 12-16-2011, 10:17 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
only time mine kicks off, is when its set to "off". The vent/floor setting blows colder than my MAX A/C does

I dig the idea of unplugging the system. Anyone have any comments to this being a bad idea, could you throw a bone as to why, if not, think i'll do the same.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:43 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
I belive running the ac compressor drys the air just slightly, not sure how or why. A lot of non american made vehicles give you a seperate AC button and if you run defrost with and without the compressor running you will see the difference immediately as the windows stayed defogged with it on. I believe Ford does it that way to keep your windows defogged when your heating the cab. Here in Ga we have very high humidity and it can be a constant battle on cold damp days to keep the windows clear.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Ford runs the AC whenever the defrost cycle is on, anywhere. So sounds normal to me. I hate it because in real cold weather it first frogs my window then clears.

Chet

Old 12-16-2011, 12:27 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you don't "exercise" the AC system, the seals will dry up and the refrigerant will leak out. You will also notice, as mentioned above, that your defrosters will not work as well without the AC compressor running. Our Edge has the button to turn off the AC separately. My wife thought there was something wrong with her defrosters until I told her to turn the AC button on.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:44 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Here are the workshop pages that explain the climate control settings.
This is for 1999 models but I presume it is similar for the other years as well.

The A/C compressor does not operate when Vent, Off or Floor is selected. It can and will come on when the dial is set to any of the other positions.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Climate Control Operation.pdf (105.8 KB, 109 views)