5.4 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:45 PM
ArrizX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 Rebuild

I have not much experience in this area .... I am getting a F250 that has a "bad engine" as far as I know it runs but uses oil so bad you cant drive it. There is also a huge oil leak under it and I cant see where it is coming from.

I was told it needed a rebuild and thats what I intend to do since its highler mileage anyways.

I need to be pointed in the right direction. I plan to do it all myself with a friend or two. No shops. I will buy any tools I might need for this... But what do I buy for the engine?

Overhaul kit? There are different kinds im not sure what to do? Should I just tear it down and re do what I can like bearings, rings, gaskets ...?

Can anyone I guess link me to a solid source for something to buy. I really need to stay under 1000 dollars but I would really REALLY like to be under 500 if thats even possible.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:01 PM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ArrizX
I have not much experience in this area .... I am getting a F250 that has a "bad engine" as far as I know it runs but uses oil so bad you cant drive it. There is also a huge oil leak under it and I cant see where it is coming from.

I was told it needed a rebuild and thats what I intend to do since its highler mileage anyways.

I need to be pointed in the right direction. I plan to do it all myself with a friend or two. No shops. I will buy any tools I might need for this... But what do I buy for the engine?

Overhaul kit? There are different kinds im not sure what to do? Should I just tear it down and re do what I can like bearings, rings, gaskets ...?

Can anyone I guess link me to a solid source for something to buy. I really need to stay under 1000 dollars but I would really REALLY like to be under 500 if thats even possible.
Not sure if your going to be able to stay under those dollar amounts....on a overhaul.
Sure you can prolly find over haul kits...but its going to be the machine work to prep the block and heads...etc, on top of that will blow your budget. Then factor in get tools and refreshments for your help....well I suspect you'll spend closer to $2500...depending on if you are well outfitted already with tools.

your more economical way it to get a running engine out of the Salvage yard and swap it out.

you can look at Summit or Jegs for OH kits for on line...but a good chatt at your local automotive machine shop will shed better lite

Old 12-13-2011, 09:06 PM
ArrizX
Senior User
Originally Posted by enriched&beyound
Not sure if your going to be able to stay under those dollar amounts....on a overhaul.
Sure you can prolly find over haul kits...but its going to be the machine work to prep the block and heads...etc, on top of that will blow your budget. Then factor in get tools and refreshments for your help....well I suspect you'll spend closer to $2500...depending on if you are well outfitted already with tools.

your more economical way it to get a running engine out of the Salvage yard and swap it out.

you can look at Summit or Jegs for OH kits for on line...but a good chatt at your local automotive machine shop will shed better lite
See this is what confuses me. Why does there need to be machine work? I dont suspect the truck needs to get bored over or the crank turned or anything like that. Like I said I dont know a ton about this so forgive stupid questions.

Why cant I just go in and replace wear items and gaskets i.e. rings, bearings, valves and springs even??

Old 12-13-2011, 10:19 PM
ArrizX
Senior User
Like... would this work?

Ford 5.4L 1997-2005 Engine Rebuild Kit

or would I really have to spend the extra and get this

http://www.rpmmachine.com/shop/index...t_detail&p=718

Old 12-14-2011, 06:29 AM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Like... would this work?

or would I really have to spend the extra and get this

mostlikely the second one , because more is included, gaskets & such. BUT... what kind of quality of items are with in this kit is the better question. the 1st one rely on using most of your current items pistons, crankshaft, heads...etc provided that they are show minimal wear.

as far as why machine work is needed.... well that all depends really what kind of condition your engine is in?

A machine shop can ascertain the condition of your engine with special instruments and measuring devices...measure the journals on the crankshaft...taper on the cylinder bores, to see what is with in specification , as well as, check for internal cracks...to correct this wear...they have the specialized equipment to correct for this too. this takes time and is where $$ add up.

you can do some of this yourself if you know what to look for and have reasonable knowledge of tolerances and specifications and time to walk through it checking and rechecking often. and of course the tools

hope that helps

Old 12-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I guess the first thing I would do is verify that it needs any work to begin with , if it is leaking a large amount of oil find out where it is coming from, could be the oil cooler, could be a cracked filter housing , lots of possible scenarios, after that recheck for oil usage maybe after you fix all the leaks the oil usage might be within reason. Just my thoughts

Old 12-14-2011, 09:04 PM
jayton4
Junior User
Rebuilding an engine requires machine shop work. Oil leaks are not the reason why engines need to be rebuilt. There is something else wrong with the engine they are not telling you. I agree with the others, get the best looking salvage yard engine you can find for a low price. Call around to a bunch of places. Search on car-part.com.

Not an insult, but just judging from your post, it sounds like you may be in over your head. You have a lot more reading up to do. You are going to have to increase the allotted funds or pick a different project. I've spent around $2000 on the 4.6L build I am working on now for an engine hoist, engine stand, cam timing tool, engine with 51k miles, head gaskets, head bolts, bottom end gasket kit, cleaning solvents, replacement fluids, and about a dozen other things I'm sure that I'm forgetting.

My garage was already pretty well stocked with all air tools, ratchets, sockets, wrenches and other special tools needed.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:40 AM
ArrizX
Senior User
Originally Posted by jayton4
Rebuilding an engine requires machine shop work. Oil leaks are not the reason why engines need to be rebuilt. There is something else wrong with the engine they are not telling you. I agree with the others, get the best looking salvage yard engine you can find for a low price. Call around to a bunch of places. Search on car-part.com.

Not an insult, but just judging from your post, it sounds like you may be in over your head. You have a lot more reading up to do. You are going to have to increase the allotted funds or pick a different project. I've spent around $2000 on the 4.6L build I am working on now for an engine hoist, engine stand, cam timing tool, engine with 51k miles, head gaskets, head bolts, bottom end gasket kit, cleaning solvents, replacement fluids, and about a dozen other things I'm sure that I'm forgetting.

My garage was already pretty well stocked with all air tools, ratchets, sockets, wrenches and other special tools needed.
Well when you start the truck up it makes a clank clank clank noise then stops. So this is the senario. Guy owns 2wd 5.4 as a work truck. Takes good care of it but a friend is going to give him a good deal on a diesel 4x4. Guys wife says no way unless his current one dies. So what does he do? Drive the snot out of it till something goes pop. I am kind of agreeing on the salvage yard engine.

And yes im totally in over my head on this stuff. Never really done anything internally other than some crank bearings on my old SBC. But thats why I am here asking.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:12 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
As the others have already said no offense but rebuilding an engine with little or no experience can be much much more costly than the salvage yard/used motor route.

I'm not sure how valuable this new-to-you truck will be if its running well so I'd suggest looking at a Ford long block which is a somewhat easier exchange than the engine rebuild. Those typically run about $2700, $500 core charge with a 3 year/50K mile warranty too.

If its just a beater truck of sorts you're getting for a great price maybe Craig's List is a good source in your area? I found a '99 5.4 gasser motor with 85K miles for $1,000. Sadly it wasn't suited for my later model E250 so it had to be resold quickly.

There is some great advice to be had here, many having already done most anything being considered by others---well worth heeding their advice.

Best of luck--------hope this is a great truck once its finished!

Old 12-17-2011, 01:42 PM
ArrizX
Senior User
Originally Posted by JWA
As the others have already said no offense but rebuilding an engine with little or no experience can be much much more costly than the salvage yard/used motor route.

I'm not sure how valuable this new-to-you truck will be if its running well so I'd suggest looking at a Ford long block which is a somewhat easier exchange than the engine rebuild. Those typically run about $2700, $500 core charge with a 3 year/50K mile warranty too.

If its just a beater truck of sorts you're getting for a great price maybe Craig's List is a good source in your area? I found a '99 5.4 gasser motor with 85K miles for $1,000. Sadly it wasn't suited for my later model E250 so it had to be resold quickly.

There is some great advice to be had here, many having already done most anything being considered by others---well worth heeding their advice.

Best of luck--------hope this is a great truck once its finished!
I appreciate it but 2700 is just not there and wont be for a project.

It wont be a beater truck but it will never be a daily driver and I will never need to rely on it... Its going to be a mud truck. Its a 2wd and I have a divorced Tcase for it chevy 3/4 axles, plans for big lift and 40" tires.

I will start a build thread for it tomorrow when I get the truck....

What about putting a 460 BB in it? I am going to search for adapters and such to even see if thats an option.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Skoda
Elder User
I appreciate it but 2700 is just not there and wont be for a project.

It wont be a beater truck but it will never be a daily driver and I will never need to rely on it... Its going to be a mud truck. Its a 2wd and I have a divorced Tcase for it chevy 3/4 axles, plans for big lift and 40" tires.

I will start a build thread for it tomorrow when I get the truck....

What about putting a 460 BB in it? I am going to search for adapters and such to even see if thats an option.
well if you want the hardcore kiss aproch you might aswell drop the 350sbc and its tranny 7r400? in it too, not one thought less of a lie cheap and to the point

Old 01-12-2012, 09:45 PM
ArrizX
Senior User
Appreciate the response and have been though lots of ideas for my project. Did go out and buy a 460 and c6 combo but I have decided to resell it and probably rebuild this engine as I can since the truck is going to be a project for a while!

Old 01-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Skoda
Elder User
i'am really curious to know whats wrong with this engine...

Old 01-12-2012, 10:43 PM
ArrizX
Senior User
Me too!

This is the best I can do for a sound clip

There are more grinding and metal clanking noises than you can hear in the video.

Hardly stays running. Wont rev pas 2k.

Apparently bad rings

Very smokey

This is about 2 minutes of running just on the trailer to get it off

It stalls/misses/shudders/grinds......

OH!

And it doesnt even have a check engine light.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:58 PM
svo121
Freshman User
From what I have read here you have a project truck that you are going to put in mud with oversize tires and nothing under the hood to make the tires turn. If it rattles and smokes and won't rev past 2 grand then I'd bet it is worn out which means it needs boring, pistons, rings and bearings, rods reconditioned, etc. Valve guides could also be worn out so there is more machine work and money, crank probably needs turning from the egg shaped rods that are hammering on it while it is trying to run. So the way I see it is that if you don't want to spend more than $500 dollars then your best bet is to part the truck out and forget about slinging mud. Its real simple, a powerplant that knocks, smokes and barely runs won't pull gumbo mudders. Take the money you would spend on the tires and wheels and put it under the hood first. Then buy the tires and wheels for slinging mud. Sorry, but rings and gaskets won't fix an engine that is worn as bad as yours seem to be. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 5.4 Rebuild