2011 to 2019 Explorer Discuss the 2011 to 2019 Explorer

Plug & Play Ford Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 06:14 AM
cparks
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Plug & Play Ford Remote Starter

Has anyone installed one of the Ford Plug & Play Remote Starters on a 2011 newer Ford Explorer? I am looking to pick one up for my wife, for Christmas. I understand you then have to take the vehicle to the Ford dealer and have them turn it on by programing the vehicle. Just curious if anyone else has done it.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
IMHO I would avoid one if you live in an metro area.....these e-box start-em up units are just an e-key for a thief.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:25 PM
cparks
More Turbo
I live somewhat rural, and have had one in my 05 Superduty for 6 years. It starts up, the doors are locked and they can't take the vehicle. If they broke in, the steering wheel is still locked, and if they hit the brake pedal, it shuts off.

I did pick up the unit today from my local Ford dealer. I will be installing over the next week and will give an update. Just trying to figure out how to do it without the wife finding out.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Beechkid
Being in a rural are you are probably ok.......
for those who don't,...
each of these wireless units activates with a code (ramdom or otherwise) and is transmitted......any code that is transmitted can be read remotely, once read a theif can now open the doors, start the engine and drive away....all without a key (yes, they would have to break the steering wheel lock mechanism, but that is a mere inconvenience)

During the holiday season, most law enforcement agencies do pr specifically on this issue with using remote car alarm/door lock actuators.....basically, if you can use a key or key pad to lock your car, do so....if you use a wireless remote transmitter to lock & alarm your car, theives now have immediate access to your vehicle.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:48 PM
cparks
More Turbo
Very good info.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:18 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cparks
I live somewhat rural, and have had one in my 05 Superduty for 6 years. It starts up, the doors are locked and they can't take the vehicle. If they broke in, the steering wheel is still locked, and if they hit the brake pedal, it shuts off.

I did pick up the unit today from my local Ford dealer. I will be installing over the next week and will give an update. Just trying to figure out how to do it without the wife finding out.
I would not be overly worried. The security is quite good with these units and it would be quite difficult to get anywhere without the correct key which has the PATS chip...

Which kit did you end up going with? I know that there are like 4 to choose from now. The basic one is nothing more then 2 keys with the remote start button and just requires activation. The upper end models have an additional module and antenna(s). The installs of all models are generally easy with the hardest part being not getting charged a arm and a leg for the programming at the dealer...

Old 12-13-2011, 09:22 PM
cparks
More Turbo
I bought the CL3Z-19G364-B unit which is going to be pretty easy to install, but I have not yet figured out where the plug is. The directions are only available to Ford Dealer employees, and I looked on AllData which we have access too, and they don't show anything. I am thinking it is by the glove box, but still working on it. I will keep everyone posted.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:49 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
I just bought a door digit pad for the keyless entry from my local dealer and had it installed on my daughter's 2010 Focus S. The programming of this was a piece of cake and it took the dealer about 5 minutes to activate.

Granted, it's not a remote starter but I can't image that programming would be a huge issue for the dealer.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:18 AM
cparks
More Turbo
I think they have to plug in their computer system, and turn it on which will bring up the menu options in the sync system. Probably a 5-minute thing from the dealer.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:27 PM
cparks
More Turbo
The installation went exceptionally well, took me about 30 minutes. I could do another in half that time. This was with the help of a fellow member with the instructions for the installation.
The glove box door comes off pretty easy. Had to remove the strap that lowers the door slow, and then two white plastic clips which slide out on the bottom hinge area.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1012340...13886388939266

Removed the two bolts holding on the handle, and the A pillar trim piece popped right off.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1012340...13806993152546

Installed the remote start antenna wires from the glove box area, through the A pillar trim panel, on the edge of the head liner and down the rear view mirror wires to the antenna.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1012340...13823002540082

Installed the antenna up a little higher than they wanted in the instructions. I am sure it will hurt the range some, but for the most part we will be starting in our driveway, and I tried it before the permanent installation and it worked fine.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1012340...13774777902322

The rear console control panel pops right off, pretty easy. Then the side panel cover also removes fairly easily, and you don't have to remove from the vehicle, just give yourself enough room to you can run the wire from the rear panel area to the glove box area. All you have to do is unplug the tps control box, and the new harness plugs into the tps box and then also the existing wiring plug. You then run that up to the glove box area, and reinstall the panels.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1012340...13786128684434

https://picasaweb.google.com/1012340...13783013638786

https://picasaweb.google.com/1012340...13806983159650

There is a space for the remote start control box which tucks in to the left of the glove box area. I plugged in the two cables, and tucked the box into its new home, and reinstalled the glove box.

Last thing was for the Ford Dealer to turn on the remote start capability for the Sync system, which allows you to have some additional features, where you can set run time, how it works with the heater / ac, etc. I then did the final programing to the Explorer would talk to the new remote start box, which only took a minute. And it works.

So the wife will be happy when she receives the controls under the tree on Christmas.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Beechkid
[QUOTE=PowerStrokeHD;11151293]I would not be overly worried. The security is quite good with these units and it would be quite difficult to get anywhere without the correct key which has the PATS chip...

QUOTE]

FYI- It is not worth a crap........the typicaly (and readily available programs can read the codes (including the PATS) is less than 10 seconds. It is actually faster to gain entry into a vehicle with a remote locking system & PATS than using a slim jim & hot wire a car from the 60's (which takes 5 - 10 minutes) depending on skill level. In this case, the thief needs no skills, no practice, just two software programs and a FOB chip (if you vehicle is so equipped)

As an example of just how poor or vulnerable our IT systems are........
2011- News reporters covering the cartel in Mexico were killed, their location was verified by their smart phone.
2011- Infraguard (the FBI's private sector security related web-based information portal) was hacked, protected personal information on members was obtained.
2010 (IIRR)- Booze Allen Hamilton, DHS's largest CyberSecurity Contractor- e-mail server hacked.
2010- Finance & banking- $4.5 billion dollars in online-related fraud.
Unless it is located & transmissions are within a secured facility, there is no viable security for any wireless system.