West Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 5_labsownus

anyone know how to rebuild a tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 12:22 AM
whack&stack
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone know how to rebuild a tranny?

i have been looking at rebuild kits since i cant find a decent price on a used one. anyone here know how to rebuild one that is willing to help a FTE'er out with the rebuild?

Old 12-04-2011, 08:02 AM
tewferford
Post Fiend
Automatic, or Manual? If it's the latter, it's a pretty straight forward rebuild. Remember, a digital camera can be your best friend. I myself would never attempt a auto rebuild, just for the simple fact of not having all the right tools to do the job.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:59 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Many years ago, my Dad & I rebuilt a 4x4 C4 on the kitchen table in the house LOL.

It was pretty easy since we had a how-to video to follow. Main thing is to take your time and make sure you're working in a clean environment. There were a few specialty tools we had to borrow (some type of puller, I don't remember what exactly) but I think you can borrow most tools from Auto Zone or Advance.

Here's a similar video for your E40D: Rebuild DVD, Book/Manual - Ford Truck E4OD Trans

These days you might be able to find this info on the internet (youtube maybe?).

Good luck!

Old 12-04-2011, 06:39 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Instead of rebuilding the auto how about you swap in a manual? But then again youd have to set your purse down so you can have a hand to shift with.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:08 AM
whack&stack
Elder User
Originally Posted by crazyredneckanyhow
Instead of rebuilding the auto how about you swap in a manual? But then again youd have to set your purse down so you can have a hand to shift with.
lol its not a purse its a satchel thank you very much. i do wanna swap in a manual but you gotta buy a whole freaking truck to do the swap with to make sure you get all the parts. thats more expensive than a rebuilt auto. wife says with baby boy coming i cant buy whatever i want right now. geez she is a kill joy. i am just trying to make it drivable. so do you know how to rebuild a tranny lol

Old 12-13-2011, 09:17 AM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by whack&stack
lol its not a purse its a satchel thank you very much. i do wanna swap in a manual but you gotta buy a whole freaking truck to do the swap with to make sure you get all the parts. thats more expensive than a rebuilt auto. wife says with baby boy coming i cant buy whatever i want right now. geez she is a kill joy. i am just trying to make it drivable. so do you know how to rebuild a tranny lol
Where are you at. It has been a while since I did one, but I will help you do it. I cannot lift so you would have to do the grunt work, but a rebuild is very simple. Just have to have a clean area and a good flat table to hold the weight.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:00 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pmasley
Where are you at. It has been a while since I did one, but I will help you do it. I cannot lift so ill just drink beer, but a rebuild is very simple. Just have to have a clean area and a good flat table to hold the weight.

fixt

Old 12-13-2011, 09:47 PM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by crazyredneckanyhow
fixt
Always the smartass in the bunch. LOL

Old 12-14-2011, 07:25 AM
whack&stack
Elder User
Where are you at. It has been a while since I did one, but I will help you do it. I cannot lift so you would have to do the grunt work, but a rebuild is very simple. Just have to have a clean area and a good flat table to hold the weight.

i am in parkersburg. i am very good at grunt work lol i have no trouble doing that. if its ok with you we will wait till after the new year get all the holidays out of the way. i really do appreciate that. very nice of you.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:32 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
May I suggest buying an ASTG manual when you buy the parts kits. It's worth the money as it gives very detailed information on the specific trans your working on. I am trained on rebuilding auto's and I still have those books for any I work on just for the torque specs etc.

also buy a decent inch/lb torque wrench, your going to need it. and have a clean area to work.

This is where I get my parts and manuals from most of the time for stock rebuilds and some minor performance stuff

4L60E 700R4 4L80E 4R100 E4OD 2004R C6 TH350 TH400 Transmission Parts

Old 12-14-2011, 08:22 PM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Talking

Originally Posted by whack&stack
i am in parkersburg. i am very good at grunt work lol i have no trouble doing that. if its ok with you we will wait till after the new year get all the holidays out of the way. i really do appreciate that. very nice of you.
You are just an hour away. Take the trans and transfer case out as one. Once you get it out and get the grundge cleaned off of it, tearing it apart and putting it back together should not take no more than four hours. Just make sure you have the spec book that monsterbaby described and both torque wrenches. I prefer to use 6 point sockets in a trans. I have some of them, but like I said, it has been a while since I undertook a trans rebuild. Hopefully all it will need will be clutches and bands and no hard parts. Just make sure the rebuild kit you get has all the seals, including the front and rear ones. Nothing would be as bad as putting it in, firing it up and having it blow fluid out the front or leak going to the transfer case. You also may want to consider putting a shift kit in at this time since we will be so deep in it.

I will bring my digital camera and laptop. The FTE brothers and sisters will want a step by step photo shoot of what we do.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:12 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will bring my digital camera and laptop. The FTE brothers and sisters will want a step by step photo shoot of what we do.
you know that's right!