1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a V10, 2001 Excursion. What mods/ maintenance for best power and fuel economy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 08:52 AM
plgebbia
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought a V10, 2001 Excursion. What mods/ maintenance for best power and fuel economy?

Ok guys, I have a v10 now...... If i can't take the fuel economy, I will convert everything over and drop a 7.3L in.

But with that said, I am willing to give the v10 a fair chance.

So, What are the best mods to increase fuel economy (best gain for $ mods)

Thanks guys, I will post some pics of it when I get a chance.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:50 AM
IslandBlueV10
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best bet is to go to the V10 forum and start reading. Lots of good info their. The biggest thing is these motors wasn't built for fuel mileage, they were built to run. Their is not much you can do for better mileage.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:10 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Better mpg, c'mon man it's a V10

Keep your right foot out of the gas pedal, probably only "mod" that may help.

Performance wise everyone raves about the SCT Tuner from 5 Star Tuning.

Oh and "dropping in" a 7.3 will be a great cheaper alternative to filling up with gas??? Even if you use your current 7.3 how many pieces, parts, computer, etc.. will you need to buy?

Old 11-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
To second Dan's motion and add to it:

-Throttle bodies on these trucks are a great waste of money

-Synthetic fluids like Mobil 1 or Royal Purple in the oil, differential, trans, and transfer case always help.

-As a new or not so new V10 owner, it is in accordance with tradition that you christen your truck for it's maiden voyage with a full tank of fuel and two bottles of this stuff in the tank: Techron/20 oz. fuel system cleaner (65740A) | Fuel Additive and Cleaner | AutoZone.com

-Also with tradition, if you haven't "fogged" your V10 yet: drive your truck till hot, then run some of this through the vaccum line at the brake booster while it's running, turn it off, wait 5 minutes, restart, rev, and watch the smoke show: Sea Foam/16 oz. engine fuel and diesel treatment (SF16) | Engine Additive and Cleaner | AutoZone.com

-You may also want to look into a new fuel filter and new Autolite plugs while you're at the 'zone. Neither costs very much and will help maximize fuel economy and power.

-You'll also need this stuff to clean your MAF sensor: CRC/Mass air flow sensor cleaner (05110) | Electrical Parts Cleaner | AutoZone.com

-As far as a programmer, the factory programming sometimes leaves a few things desired, so look up Mike at 5-star tuning: Got a V10 Ford F250/350/450/550? He can sometimes cut you a package deal depending on whats available. (I.e. programmer, y-pipe, intake, muffler etc.)

The above are proven methods to maximize power and fuel economy on the V10. While it may not get 15 city and 18 highway, you can expect 9-12 in town and 12 to as high as 16 mpg (very rare, but I've seen it) on the highway.
Copied and pasted from my other post on the same topic...enjoy!

Old 11-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

If your finances are such that you can just drop in a diesel engine and the associated components without skipping a beat, I'd say either: A. Do a basic tune-up and deal with the fuel economy of the V10, or B. Sell it and buy a PSD equipped truck. I would think that the decreased maintenance costs (gas vs. diesel) would make up for the fuel economy disadvantage of the V10 (at least somewhat).

Do a basic tune-up and leave it alone. Expecting drastic improvements in fuel economy for a V10 makes about as much sense to me as looking for a virgin in a house. I'll never understand the logic behind throwing $300+ at an intake, $500+ at a tuner, and $500+ at an exhaust in an attempt to gain a couple MPG. If you can afford to flush money down the toilet on parts like that, you can afford to just deal with the gas pump as-is. Just my $.02...

Last edited by powerstroke72; 11-15-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: language
Old 11-15-2011, 05:50 PM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
I would also install additional cooling for the automatic transmission, because a cool 4R100 is a happy 4R100.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:08 PM
0311Bulldog
New User
Been There Done That

I had one and put lots of mod $$ into it. The only thing that gave me any improvement was a K&N intake. Now we're not talking a huge improvement, maybe 2 mpg, if I kept my foot out of it. Opening up the exhaust did nothing for the mpg. Lifting it and putting wider tires on it killed the mpg. So, if you wan't to see your mpg number go up a little I would say an air intake but shop around because you won't save enough to pay for it. With all this said though, I got rid of my 01 Excursion because of the manifold stud issue. I missed it so much I just picked up a 250 with another V10. Before making the decision I penciled out the cost of a trip figuring diesel prices on the west coast compared to gas prices. Even though you may get better mpg with the diesel I believe you'll spend less overall staying with gas.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Boss08v10
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fuel economy and the ford 6.8L V10 are often talked about but never realized. Fuel consumption is what the V10 does really well. I get 9 around town and 11 on the hiway, 6-8 towing my car hauler. When the gas gauge gets low I stop and add some more. My only real gripe with my CC SB is the size of the gas tank. Some rally good advise above and some of them may even help.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:59 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Boss08v10
My only real gripe with my CC SB is the size of the gas tank.
I'm feeling this one too! And no one makes a larger poly fuel tank, only metal ones which rot.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:27 PM
plgebbia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
Better mpg, c'mon man it's a V10

Keep your right foot out of the gas pedal, probably only "mod" that may help.

Performance wise everyone raves about the SCT Tuner from 5 Star Tuning.

Oh and "dropping in" a 7.3 will be a great cheaper alternative to filling up with gas??? Even if you use your current 7.3 how many pieces, parts, computer, etc.. will you need to buy?
Thanks for the input. As far as naysaying the powerstroke swap, I figured that would come...... I run a Powerstroke repair and performance shop in Southern Illinois, and I know what I am doing when it comes to a diesel swap . For most people it would not make sense, but in my position, I could easily recoup the money spent on the swap, especially considering what I paid for the EX.

Originally Posted by redford
I would also install additional cooling for the automatic transmission, because a cool 4R100 is a happy 4R100.
Agreed, that seems to be a common weak spot.

Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Copied and pasted from my other post on the same topic...enjoy!
Thanks, Good info there.

Originally Posted by Boss08v10
fuel economy and the ford 6.8L V10 are often talked about but never realized. Fuel consumption is what the V10 does really well. I get 9 around town and 11 on the hiway, 6-8 towing my car hauler. When the gas gauge gets low I stop and add some more. My only real gripe with my CC SB is the size of the gas tank. Some rally good advise above and some of them may even help.
Oh well, I am used to the mileage my truck gets. And the power that it has

Old 11-15-2011, 09:32 PM
pappy19
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Find a good 3 valve 6.8 and have it balanced and blueprinted, with a Torqueshift tranny, then add a 5 Star SCT by Mike, an Airaid intake and a good exhaust and it will blow your 7.3's off the road and get a decent mileage, considering. What rearend ratio does it have?

Pap

Old 11-16-2011, 12:51 AM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by pappy19
Find a good 3 valve 6.8 and have it balanced and blueprinted, with a Torqueshift tranny, then add a 5 Star SCT by Mike, an Airaid intake and a good exhaust and it will blow your 7.3's off the road and get a decent mileage, considering. What rearend ratio does it have?

Pap
How would you put a 3V V10 and 5R110 on a V10 Excursion? I thought about doing something like that once, but thought it was way too complicated. Has it been done?

Old 11-16-2011, 07:02 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by plgebbia
Thanks for the input. As far as naysaying the powerstroke swap, I figured that would come...... I run a Powerstroke repair and performance shop in Southern Illinois, and I know what I am doing when it comes to a diesel swap . For most people it would not make sense, but in my position, I could easily recoup the money spent on the swap, especially considering what I paid for the EX.

My apologies! You got it all set up then! Could be interesting to see if done.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:10 AM
0311Bulldog
New User
Boss08v10, I agree with the fuel tank size. I'm wondering if you can take a 44 gallon tank from say an Excursion and swap it for the 38 gallon tank in a 250. It's not a lot but every little bit helps. Anyone out there done this?

Old 11-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by 0311Bulldog
Boss08v10, I agree with the fuel tank size. I'm wondering if you can take a 44 gallon tank from say an Excursion and swap it for the 38 gallon tank in a 250. It's not a lot but every little bit helps. Anyone out there done this?
It would never fit, the tank is wide and not long like it needs to be. Ever look at a Titan tank?

2011 Ford Super Duty Titan Fuel Tank Installation - YouTube

Quick Reply: Bought a V10, 2001 Excursion. What mods/ maintenance for best power and fuel economy?