2011 to 2019 Explorer Discuss the 2011 to 2019 Explorer

Myford touch & Nav

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 08:02 PM
ericg70
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Myford touch & Nav

Hi All, I'm looking at picking up a 2011 XLT for my wife. There is a demo at local lincon dealer that has 5K on it. It has the myFord touch system, so it had the screen and everything but it doesn't have the nav system. A guy at work told that if you have the myford system all the nav is is a sim card that can bu put in very easily. I was curious if any one if that were true. Before I go in there and ask the dealer, I like to already the answer. Also I know the truck is new and so is this forum, but does anyone know of any nagging problems with these that I shoudl look out for. Any help anyone can give would be a big help.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:08 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Wow, that's a good question.

I have done some searching on the net and haven't really come up with a good answer. What I did find was that there were some vehicles with My Ford Touch that had the Navigation units installed but they weren't functional. An SD card was used to complete the installation and get the units functional. However, from what I have been able to find, those vehicles that had only the MFT and no nav, can't be upgraded as of yet.

On another forum, a member posted a letter he received from Ford saying that they were considering that as an upgrade available in the future but they gave no timeline.

All of that said, you know how the internet is. Most of what I read was on other forums I arrived at after doing a Google search on the topic. So as the saying goes, take it for what it's worth.

I have contacted one of our resident Ford gurus though and am awaiting his reply. He may be able to shed some light on it for you. If he contacts me via PM, I'll post back here but I also sent him the link to this thread so he may also post here if he's got any info.

In the meantime, here are some links I found that may be of interest to you:

Ford SYNC | SYNC Support, Phone Compatibility, Updates, Manuals, Voice Guides, Instructions & More | Ford.com

Using the 8-inch touchscreen

Ford MyTouch Upgrades Speech, Nav for New Models, Existing Owners | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Ford to Upgrade MyFord Touch for 2013 Models, Retrofit New Software to Customers

Old 11-10-2011, 08:56 AM
ericg70
Freshman User
Thanks for all the great info, I will run through the links later today. I was speaking to another guy here at work who has a 2011 Explorer. His does not hav ethe MFT, but the dealer told him if you have the MFT you can sync your cell phones nav (iPhone) to display on the LCD screen. That seems crazy, sounds like a salesman talking out of his you know what. I think this weekend I wil lgo and check it out, I will hit the dealer with my questions and see what they say. If he gives me anything good I will post it back. Thanks again for the info.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:19 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
I did read that with the MFT, you can do the turn-by-turn directions and they will display on the screen. When I was shopping for my '11 F-350, I didn't want the Navigation system. When I found my truck, it had everything I wanted plus the Nav so I went ahead and bought it. Now, I'm glad I did. It's a great system and it looks like the MFT plus Nav is even better.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:27 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will look into this further to see if I can find anything additional, but in the mean time here is Ford's current stance...

"Can navigation be added to My Ford Touch/My Lincoln Touch vehicles not originally equipped?
No, currently adding Navigation is not an option and shouldn't be attempted."

Old 11-10-2011, 10:32 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by PowerStrokeHD
I will look into this further to see if I can find anything additional, but in the mean time here is Ford's current stance...

"Can navigation be added to My Ford Touch/My Lincoln Touch vehicles not originally equipped?
No, currently adding Navigation is not an option and shouldn't be attempted."
As always, thanks a million for helping out PSHD.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:23 PM
dano6257
4wd Low
By chance does anyone know if Ford has changed their position regarding upgrading the Ford MyTouch to include navigation?

Old 02-03-2014, 04:54 PM
ericg70
Freshman User
As far as I know Ford still has not offered that as an upgrade. Seems strange b/c that seems like an easy way for them to make money, sell the sim card and provide a software download on a flash drive.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:50 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Honestly, I have mft in both our new vehicles and it has been HORRIBLE !!!

I use one of our Garmins for nav (or google on a tablet) before I use the nav from ford !

It never finds a POI I'm looking for, the maps are ancient, the routing when you DO enter an address is atrocious... I would not get the mft for a few years...

as an example,
we were going up the entrance ramp to the Tollway the other day and the nav said turn right at the next intersection, then turn right again and backtrack two blocks to turn right again and enter the same entrance ramp !!!

Here's an example of it's routing on another time on the tollway - see if you would follow the little green line ?!?
it had us on the LEFT side of oncoming traffic (the elevated roadway is 8 or 10 lanes right in there),
wanted us to back up the entrance ramp and turn left,
go a couple of blocks and turn right,
turn right again,
and go UNDER the road we are on to turn left and run a few blocks to get back on the road we are on

funny thing is, this is after the update and it was working better than before !!! it's microsoft after all !

Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2014, 09:41 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by dano6257
By chance does anyone know if Ford has changed their position regarding upgrading the Ford MyTouch to include navigation?
Hello dano6257,

The current position remains unchanged. In order for a MyFord Touch system to include navigation, this feature must have been included as a factory-installed option.

Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
... It never finds a POI I'm looking for, the maps are ancient ...
Hi jdadamsjr,

Based on your picture, it's almost as if the "Avoid highways" setting had been activated somehow. Have you spoken with your dealership regarding this behavior? I'd like to see what else we can do to help you out with this.

Antonio

Old 02-04-2014, 12:38 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Yes, enough times to not waste anymore time on it...
just know I won't get nav next time.

but I do have to bring the wife's in again as she just told me of a new feature on her Explorer sport...
first pic is what should be there,
second is what she has !

Yikes ! 110 volt out in the open !!!

Attached Images   
Old 02-07-2014, 12:53 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by ericg70
Hi All, I'm looking at picking up a 2011 XLT for my wife. There is a demo at local lincon dealer that has 5K on it. It has the myFord touch system, so it had the screen and everything but it doesn't have the nav system. A guy at work told that if you have the myford system all the nav is is a sim card that can bu put in very easily. I was curious if any one if that were true. Before I go in there and ask the dealer, I like to already the answer. Also I know the truck is new and so is this forum, but does anyone know of any nagging problems with these that I shoudl look out for. Any help anyone can give would be a big help.
The Nav system is quite a bit more than a SIM card. The card only contains the current map data. The system also needs the GPSM (Global Positioning System Module) and associated wiring which mounts in the center of the dash just under the dash cover. Then there's the necessary firmware in the My Ford Touch system to make it all play together. In theory, it might be possible to upgrade a vehicle that didn't come with the system IF you could get Ford to provide the necessary firmware.