6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Old 11-24-2014, 05:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Bilstein 5100 Shock install with VIDEO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Fontana
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasA&M
Part of the dual set up is definitely bling, but once you go up to a big enough tire, it does make a difference. If you are staying with stock sized tires, there really is no need for it.

The reason to replace the stock stabilizer is the same reason as replacing the stock shocks... the stock stuff sucks.

My $0.02.
I think that with respect to the Fx4 package stock shocks were crap. I switched over to Bilstein months ago and never looked back. In my opinion I believe that the stock stabilizer is good to go. Agree that if you modify with a lift kit and larger tires you may have a need for a Bilstein stabilizer. If you stay stock size tires I would nt spend the money.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:53 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Fontana
If you stay stock size tires I would nt spend the money.
I disagree, when you're stock tires are doing what mine are (were) in the video, you may want to upgrade:

Old 01-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Fontana
Senior User
Holy ****! That was scary! Is the the death wobble people have been talking about?

My truck has the snow plow prep package springs and Bilstein 5100 shocks and drives like a dream.

That wheel shake is not acceptable. Do and spend whatever you need to get that crap fixed ASAP.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:02 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I had the same issue with larger tires. I can't say if it happened with the stock Michellins as I only had them on the truck for about 20 miles. Silverbullet's video is a perfect demonstration as it shows the wobble starting and then quickly coming under control. Almost faster than the naked eye can detect. The slow motion tells all. I figure if you can stop the wobble from happening in the first place with a good shock/stabilizer combo, why not? Even if it happens and is controlled quickly, the suspension will eventually pay a price.

Skip to 6:10 in this video for another view of wobble before and after:

Installing Rancho Steering Stabilizer & RS9000XL Shocks Ford Super Duty - YouTube

Old 01-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Gunny77
Senior User
Originally Posted by P.I.T.S.
Stabilizer vs Damper

Not sure what the difference is between that one and this one:

Bilstein Part 24-158848 - Bilstein 5100 Series Steering Damper

Different model year.

Damper and Stabilizer are the same thing.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:26 AM
dualli f 350 Quebec
New User
tank you.
whit this video i realise that my dealers was not right to do tire rotation and looking everywhere els then shock, i do what sarge do and bingo my ford is new....it took me 1hrs. and internet is awesome for information ....
tanks sarge....

Old 01-29-2012, 10:29 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Fontana
Holy ****! That was scary! Is the the death wobble people have been talking about?
It's not THE death wobble, but it's excessive in my opinion. I told my dealer about it, they took my truck on a 1 mile test drive, then said it's not happening. I told them I had a video of it in my truck on my tablet, they didn't care to see it. Instead of getting into a p***ing match with them, I resolved it myself. I think another OEM stabilizer would've done the same thing over time (truck has 10k miles on it) as the roads out here in PA are terrible.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
Originally Posted by Shepardsonp
I just got my Bilstein 5100's installed with a leveling kit. The ride is definitely better than the stock Rancho's. I have 22,000 miles on my truck and the stock Rancho's all were all functioning - nothing like what Big Sarge experienced at 2,900 miles.

I could have swore that i had some back shocks as my ride was pretty bad.

Definitely a better ride than what i had for sure!!!
CORRECTION!!! I just pulled my Rancho's out of the bed of my truck and was able to completely compress all 4 shocks easily by hand. As I am writing this post, the 2 front shocks have yet to return. Rancho's are a POS Shock!

Shame On FORD

Peace

Old 01-29-2012, 03:11 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I installed the Carli Bilstein steering stabilizer and my death wobble came back. That was the worst $280 spent ever. I think with the exception of the dual setup, the best stablizer out there is the stock OEM one. Once I installed it back on the truck, no more death wobble. And it was for real death wobble, like wont stop till you stop type.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Big-Sarge
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gunny77
Pic of the 5100 Bilstein Stabilizer installed.

Gunny....Can you give me your opinion on how much better the Bilstein stabilizer was over the stock one. If the was the case. Thanks you.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:41 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by 6.7L
Just wondering if the 6.4L have these suspension problems.
Any one?
it goes all the way back to the upgraded 05' suspension change, its essentially the same thru 12'.........

Old 02-01-2012, 08:15 AM
TxFordGuy1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gunny77
I hope you have better luck with them than I did. They gave me the run around about when it was going to be shipped, ended up cancelling my order.

@ TXFordGuy1, I sprayed the bolt with WD40 and got a BFH (Big friggin hammer) and wacked it a few times, came right out. I am really happy with how it rides now.

Well, finally got my tracking number from Shock Warehouse....so appears to be on the way...but apparently they are just real slow! 3 weeks or so if it get here Monday as scheduled

Old 02-01-2012, 10:02 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by TxFordGuy1
Well, finally got my tracking number from Shock Warehouse....so appears to be on the way...but apparently they are just real slow! 3 weeks or so if it get here Monday as scheduled
Oh my...that is really slow. Maybe they were just out of stock...or something. I ordered my Bilstein shocks from them a few years back...and received them pretty quick.

Good luck with them...

biz

Old 02-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Gunny77
Senior User
Originally Posted by Big-Sarge
Gunny....Can you give me your opinion on how much better the Bilstein stabilizer was over the stock one. If the was the case. Thanks you.
The Bilstein makes the steering feel a little more stiff which puts it to where it should have been IMO. I think it was too sloppy.
I also dont have the wobble feeling when hitting pot holes and road imperfections. My front end felt like the video 2000silverbullet posted but not anymore.

The combination of the Bilstein shocks and steering stabilizer have put the suspension where it should be.

Well worth the $ spent.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:16 PM
dualli f 350 Quebec
New User
I just order a new stabilizateur from summit parts
california.cost $142.00 i just try my new bilstein 5100 and it more stiff,the shaky dashboard have come once after that ,and that s why i order the stabilizateur i hope it will fixe that for reel....

Quick Reply: Bilstein 5100 Shock install with VIDEO!!!