1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck will not start or crank.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 10:08 AM
slayerman54
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck will not start or crank.

My father-in-law's truck won't start so he asked me if I could diagnose the problem. The truck is a '02 F250 supercab 4x4 with the V10(41K miles) and 4R100 transmission. He only uses his truck about 10 times a year so needless to say, it does a lot of sitting. He jumped in it the other day and all the lights and chimes turned on but when he turned the key forward it did nothing. I told him to check his connections and try a new battery if the connections were fine so he did. Still nothing. I made the 2 hour trip to his house to see if I could help but I don't have much experience with Super Dutys and no experience with the Ford V10. I can dismantle any OBS Ford with my eyes closed and put it back together just the same so I have a lot of experience with trucks just not his so I was wondering if there were any tricks with these trucks I'm not aware of.
So far what we have checked/done is: First, I told him to make sure the truck was fully in Park or Neutral before he tried starting but it was fully engaged. Then he put in a new battery and when that wouldn't work I had to come check it out. I disconnected all wires that connect to the battery and cleaned the contacts. The same goes for the starter. We found the chassis to body ground had rotted off so we made up a new ground because I have experienced that as the cause of a truck not starting in the past. Still nothing. No clicking, no cranking, nothing but the lights and chimes come on. My next guess is to tell him to have the starter checked at Autozone or somewhere. I noticed there isn't a fender mounted starter solenoid on these trucks so is the one on the starter itself it? My next guess is the starter relay, what do you guys think?

Old 10-16-2011, 10:17 AM
gatormccluskey
Posting Guru
Are you getting any fire to the starter solenoid ?

Old 10-16-2011, 10:23 AM
George141
New User
..I would reccomend taking off serpentine belt and spin all accessories...if the air condiotioning compressor is seized it will not allow motor to turn over..if that is the case you can take compressor off..and replace with a "dummy pulley" on it's own perch so you continue to use same size serpentine belt..I had the same scenario on my 01 SD F250 5.4 2 years ago..good luck..George

Old 10-16-2011, 10:42 AM
slayerman54
Senior User
Originally Posted by gatormccluskey
Are you getting any fire to the starter solenoid ?
Well what I'm asking is the one on the starter itself the only one? If so then I'll test that next but I didn't bring my test probe because my father-in-law is an electrician so I figured he would have tons of them. Well it turns out most all of his tools are at his other house and he has not had a chance to move them yet so we couldn't test that. It was pissing rain on us anyway so he just told me he'd take the starter out and have it tested. I'm going over to help him again soon and in case the starter is not the problem, is there any other solenoid I'm not aware of on this particular truck? I still have to check the neutral safety switch and test the starter and the solenoid attached to it but I need to know if there is anything else I should check before I drive 2 hours each way for nothing again.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:42 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Check for current draw. Turn lights on. Try to start engine. Do headlights dim?

If so, you're getting current to the starter. Either the battery doesn't have enough power to turn engine over, wiring (current path) is bad, starter is locked or engine is locked.

If lights do not dim, you're not getting current to (and through) the starter. Look a solenoid, wiring, park/neutral switch.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:22 PM
slayerman54
Senior User
Originally Posted by redford
Check for current draw. Turn lights on. Try to start engine. Do headlights dim?

If so, you're getting current to the starter. Either the battery doesn't have enough power to turn engine over, wiring (current path) is bad, starter is locked or engine is locked.

If lights do not dim, you're not getting current to (and through) the starter. Look a solenoid, wiring, park/neutral switch.
Guys, guys, not to be rude but I know how to diagnose electrical problems as I stated before. The basic methods you mentioned apply for all vehicles and I have lots of experience with numerous vehicles just not this one. Thats why I'm asking if there is any oddball switch on this particular truck/engine combo that I am not aware of that doesn't apply to the average car/truck that might be the cause of not starting.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:31 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Nothing special with fords... Key sw to start relay to solenoid on fender wall..At least on my year..Work backwards apply 12v to starter small wire. Truck should turn over with key off. If does go back to solenoid on fender wall apply 12v to small wire truck should turn over..
You already know to check P N sw..At least if you work backwards you can eliminate some things...12v relay in under hood relay panel I think.. Pull out and push in..

Dick

Old 10-16-2011, 06:31 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
What is the chances the starter hung out due to low voltage? He may find when he pulls it off thats the case and it will crank.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:34 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Guy's he isn't hearing anything no solenoids thumping nothing..Which means the solenoids /relays are not even getting voltage...

Dick

Old 10-16-2011, 08:45 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd be looking for grounds speciffically the incoming chassis ground on the block, the ground strap between engine & chassis at the firewall as well as the positive battery cable chassis accy power tap connection usually a 10mm nut and very susceptible to corrosion!
Jim & fat Monty

Old 10-30-2011, 11:00 AM
slayerman54
Senior User
Originally Posted by hotroddsl
I'd be looking for grounds speciffically the incoming chassis ground on the block, the ground strap between engine & chassis at the firewall as well as the positive battery cable chassis accy power tap connection usually a 10mm nut and very susceptible to corrosion!
Jim & fat Monty
I don't know if you missed what I wrote to begin with but grounds were the first thing I checked. Anyway, I told him to check the ignition wire to the starter to see if it was getting power and he told me it was. I went over and pulled the starter and put a new one back in for him and voilà, the beast roared back to life. I told him that he needs to start taking better care of his truck. It's an '02 with like 41K on it but the undercarriage looks like an abused '85. He pulls his camper with it about 5 times a year(often on wet and/or salty roads) and then lets it sit and rust for months on end with no undercoating or corrosion inhibators anywhere. Anyway, thanks guys for your input.