Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Injector cup replacement?????

Old 10-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Finally Powerstrokin
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector cup replacement?????

Ok so I have fuel in my coolant on my 2002 F250 7.3. Everthing I have read points to bad injector cups. I am pretty decent with a wrench but by no means a diesel mechanic but after calling a local diesel shop today I am thinking of trying to tackle this myself. They said it would be between $1500 & $1800. He said he would have to pull the heads. I ask him about the tool and he said it was too hard to use in the truck and it would cost more in labor than just pulling the heads. I think he must have been talking about a slide hammer type tool. I have already looked at Riff Raffs kit and am thinking about trying this but I need to know that with these tools it is something that an averege guy with a set of wrenches and this rental tool can do with the help of all the expert guys on here. I also need to know how to test the injectors and glow plugs so that I can replace anything that needs replaced while I am in here. I love my truck and dont mind wrenching but also dont want to get in over my head.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:21 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Average guy can do it, if you have the drive to do it, it's not that bad. Sounds like you already know Clay has the best prices on them with great customer service, here is a link to Robin's writeup and he was not using Clay's newest tool IIRC Robin's Injector Cup R&R

i would send the injectors off to have them flow tested while you had them out and if you could do without for a few days, Riffraff Diesel: HEUI Flow testing

GP's are cheap enough that while you were going to be in there I would change them all personally. But you could ohm them out to verify proper resistance.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:28 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can do it of way less then 1500 go for it. the injectors are not that bad to do the cups cant be that bad.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Finally Powerstrokin
Junior User
Thanks for the confidence guys. Is there anyone that has used Clay's new version of the injector cup R&R tool that can tell me how difficult it is and approximatly how much time I can expect it to take?

Old 10-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Larry_the_handyman
Senior User
For a fellow Tarheel (and gearheads everywhere), I will do the R&R with the new tool. I can't promise it'll be as good as Robin's so I might just show the difference in the new version. I just got it in the mail today and I'll be doing the cups this weekend.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:58 PM
sledheadm7
Senior User
i did this project not to long ago and it took me 5 hours but i also did a oil cooler rebuild and added some other goodies while i was in there. also i am a diesel technician so prety strait forward fix for me. other then the cup removal tool there is no special tools needed. good luck hope this fixes your problems.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:40 AM
Larry_the_handyman
Senior User
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll be happy to get it done in less than 10 hours. lol

Old 10-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Finally Powerstrokin
Junior User
Larry,
Thats awsome...I mean not that you are having problems but that you are willing to document your procedure. I will be very appreciative of any help I can get. Please give all the detail you can because I am sure I will need it. the more pics the better. Oh yea by the way how did a fellow Tar Heel end up in Sunny California anyways?...lol & thanks for the help man

Old 10-12-2011, 10:00 PM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i used clays tool last weekend but it removed all the rockers and rods which i wont do next time
id say a novice could do it in a day

Old 10-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by rat49f6
i used clays tool last weekend but it removed all the rockers and rods which i wont do next time
id say a novice could do it in a day
What were you thinking

Old 10-13-2011, 07:18 AM
brownie83
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
What were you thinking
ditto....

Old 10-13-2011, 08:21 AM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was thinking I had all that off when I did mine...forgetting I did valve springs too

Old 10-13-2011, 09:10 AM
brownie83
Posting Guru
we all still love you...

Old 12-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Finally Powerstrokin
Junior User
Finally Purchased Clay's kit

Ok I finally got the extra money and have ordered Clay's injector cup kit with rental tool. Also bought Glow plugs to change while I am there and the Riff Raff air filter kit for my personal Christmas Present to myself. I am sooo ready to get this problem fixed I have hardley drove my truck for 2 months. You guys please wish me luck and give me any pointers that you have. I remember seeing a step by step guide to this repair on here a while back. I am going to keep looking for it but if anyone has a link please share it. I will try to take pics and give the best info I can for the next guy that may have to takle this repair.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:47 PM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
Theres a link in post #2 and heres is another one.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...placement.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Injector cup replacement?????