1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F350 4x4 front axle removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Jungle4jim2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F350 4x4 front axle removal

I have an 06 F350 4x4 and have it torn down to replace the axle joint drivers side. Is there a trick (ie clip, roll pin) to removing it from the housing? It seems pretty happy in there...... I cant find an exploded view on line any where... Thanks- Jim

Old 10-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The axle just pops out of the carrier , get a big screwdriver or pry bar and pop it out . There is a great step by step ball joint replacement that shows in pics how to get the axle out, just do a search. On mine The seal that is in the knuckle was keeping me from getting the axle out so I had to pound out the seal from the back side then the axle came right out.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:55 AM
KSRick
New User
Try https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...ll-joints.html

Good step by step instructions with pictures.

Rick

Old 05-07-2018, 10:53 PM
lassoatrain
New User
Solution for Removing Snap Ring

I recently had to replace the front axel's universal joints. Like many others who have attempted too perform the miracle instead ended up with the urge to take a sledge hammer to that keeper from hell the snap ring on the end of the axel. though there is much written and endless video's of those that have been blessed with supernatural powers I have come to terms that I was not a chosen one . What I mean is I have a whole stack of worthless brand new snap ring pliers of every shape ,size, and price ,and all have failed. I have so much invested in snap ring pliers I could have dropped my truck off at ford and let them rip me off and still come out ahead. desperation requires desperate measures so I thought I would save someone the needless sleepless nights trying to figure out how they will make it to work on Monday morning. this I realize will be frowned on by the establishment but this worked and it thus far as worked very well. Don't take it off. that's right I said "don't take the snap ring off" just take the caliper and the caliper bracket, the locking hub cap, and the hub under the cap off, and the grease fitting on top of the wheel bearing housing . and the trick is to just remove the 4 nuts behind the assembly . have some one tap on the wheel bearing housing ok maybe a little harder then tap , while you under the truck and from behind beat the S.O.B. out. just kidding . just convince the unit to come out. you may need to tap with a brass rod on the back wheel seal but be gentle because you might be reusing those seals. I did and they work great, no problem what so ever. but if you don't want to re-use those seals it still has to be easier to get that damn snap ring off while the unit is in a vise rather then on all 4's on a cement floor covered in broken snap ring pliers. it was so much easier. putting it back in was really pretty simple and the beauty is since you didn't take the snap ring off when you tighten the 4 nuts in the back it pulls every thing back to exactly where it was when you started. good luck and at your own risk by the way I am not a mechanic . I am a retired machinist . haha yes I know how homeless people feel.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:44 AM
SnowPlowDriver
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by lassoatrain
I recently had to replace the front axel's universal joints. Like many others who have attempted too perform the miracle instead ended up with the urge to take a sledge hammer to that keeper from hell the snap ring on the end of the axel. though there is much written and endless video's of those that have been blessed with supernatural powers I have come to terms that I was not a chosen one . What I mean is I have a whole stack of worthless brand new snap ring pliers of every shape ,size, and price ,and all have failed. I have so much invested in snap ring pliers I could have dropped my truck off at ford and let them rip me off and still come out ahead. desperation requires desperate measures so I thought I would save someone the needless sleepless nights trying to figure out how they will make it to work on Monday morning. this I realize will be frowned on by the establishment but this worked and it thus far as worked very well. Don't take it off. that's right I said "don't take the snap ring off" just take the caliper and the caliper bracket, the locking hub cap, and the hub under the cap off, and the grease fitting on top of the wheel bearing housing . and the trick is to just remove the 4 nuts behind the assembly . have some one tap on the wheel bearing housing ok maybe a little harder then tap , while you under the truck and from behind beat the S.O.B. out. just kidding . just convince the unit to come out. you may need to tap with a brass rod on the back wheel seal but be gentle because you might be reusing those seals. I did and they work great, no problem what so ever. but if you don't want to re-use those seals it still has to be easier to get that damn snap ring off while the unit is in a vise rather then on all 4's on a cement floor covered in broken snap ring pliers. it was so much easier. putting it back in was really pretty simple and the beauty is since you didn't take the snap ring off when you tighten the 4 nuts in the back it pulls every thing back to exactly where it was when you started. good luck and at your own risk by the way I am not a mechanic . I am a retired machinist . haha yes I know how homeless people feel.
you didn't have the correct snap ring pliers. I use Knipex 4611a3. Go to Amazon and read the reviews.

Last edited by SnowPlowDriver; 05-08-2018 at 09:54 PM. Reason: to was auto corrected into tomorrow
Old 05-08-2018, 12:13 PM
texinwa
Senior User
a chain attached to the axle on one end and a sledge on the other and swing

Old 05-08-2018, 10:35 PM
lassoatrain
New User
thank you snow plow. I will probably need that information before long since the way I removed the axel did not require removing the snap ring and there for had too go with the same seal. time will tell I suppose . but thank you I will write that down.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:40 AM
RedTonka07
Junior User
Axle And snap ring

my 07 SD axle stub came out with a long crowbar and some pressure.almost certainly your dust seal is broken... they all are so you can pry there or behind the u joints.

i feel for lassoatrain, I bought 4 pair of snap ring players... tried 2 and they weren’t close so wiped them off and put back in their package and luckily was able to return them. Broken a different set and finally made it work with husky snap ring pliers. I set them so they expand when you squeeze vs how they come from the store set to expand when you open the handles. That seems obvious but it took me an hour to figure out they could work that way. A flat head screw driver and snap ring pliers are like the power twin brothers and work well together to deal with that terrible task... but expect 30 minutes and lots of cussing.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:35 AM
sxrfun
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A trick i used to get the snap ring back on the axle after everything is re-assembled......put that large *** snap ring onto your fav set of snap ring pliers.....put handles of snap ring pliers into a vice and carefully close the vice making sure snap ring pliers and snap ring don't fly across the shop......once handles of pliers are held closed by the vice and snap ring is expanded....take a couple zip ties and put around snap ring pliers handles.....thus holding them in the open position. Now take your pliers and the fully expanded snap ring to the truck.....insert and line up the snap ring easily with with 2 fingers...cut the zip tie and voila...one installed large *** snap ring. I found this way easier then trying to muscle open the snap ring while trying to line it up with groove on the axle.