Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Can't program a wireless remote key fob

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 12:51 PM
TwoMuchMud
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't program a wireless remote key fob

I have a 2001 Escape (2.0L engine, manual trans). It didn't come with a remote but it does have a working security system. I bought a 3-button Ford remote that is suppose to work for my year.

I tried the procedure at the bottom. The system goes into programming mode correctly (doors lock and unlock automatically to signal programming mode) but then it doesn't respond when I push buttons on the remote. I tried a couple different remotes. One specifically for the Escape (3 button) and one from a 2004 Mustang (4 button). Neither one worked at all.

All these instructions say "if the door locks still fail to respond, refer to Handles, Locks, Latches and Entry Systems in this section" or something similar yet none of these directions contain any more information about that. How do I troubleshoot it? Searching around I can't find any instructions past the basic list below even though they all refer to some "Inspection and Verification" procedure that doesn't seem to be available anywhere.

Any ideas? Is it possible to have the security system but no wireless module?

Thanks!

1. The vehicle must be electronically unlocked before entering program mode using the RKE transmitter, keyless entry keypad (if equipped) or door lock control switch while the driver door is open.

2. Turn the key from OFF to RUN 8 times within 10 seconds, with the eighth turn ending in RUN. If the module successfully enters the program mode, it locks and then unlocks all doors.

3. Within 20 seconds, press any button on an RKE transmitter, and the doors lock and then unlock to confirm that the RKE transmitter is programmed. Repeat this step for each RKE transmitter.

4. If the door locks do not respond for any RKE transmitter, wait several seconds and press the button again. If the door locks still fail to respond, refer to Handles, Locks, Latches and Entry Systems in this section. Make sure that no more than the maximum number of 6 RKE transmitters are attempted to be programmed.

5. Exiting the programming mode is accomplished if one of the following occurs:

The key transitions to the OFF position.
Twenty seconds have passed since entering programming mode or since the last RKE transmitter was programmed.
The maximum number of 6 RKE transmitters have been programmed.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:57 PM
TwoMuchMud
Freshman User
Nevermind, I finally got it to work. I don't know what I did.

It had been sitting for a few hours. I put the remote on my keychain and was like "what the hell I'll try again" and it worked this time. I had already tried like 10 times before that. I didn't do anything different other than the truck was locked before I started this time.

Must be some sort of sequence like: lock the truck, close door, (possibly sit for a long time), unlock door with key, push unlock button on armrest to unlock all doors, then do the remote programming. That's exactly what I did when it finally worked.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:34 PM
TwoMuchMud
Freshman User
Meh, I spoke too soon. The remote is all erratic. Sometimes it works, often times it doesn't. Something is screwed up.

I accidentally hit the panic button one time and I couldn't get the alarm to shut off (even after driving the truck!) until it timed out. WTF, every other car I have had shuts off even the panic if you turn the key in the ignition. Ugh...

Old 10-11-2011, 11:00 PM
astroford
New User
Sounds like the remote itself has a low battery or is defective (putting out a weak signal). Remember that when you "program a remote key fob" you are really programming the car to listen to it -- nothing happens to the remote except that you make it transmit signals so the car can learn to recognize them.