1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Another hard shift thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 07:45 AM
79OldBone
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another hard shift thread

So I picked up a 95 powerstroke last night for 2k to start my 79 body swap project with. Has 240k on it but the trans was rebuild in 08 and has all the papers to match. It shifts wicked hard tho. Puts your head right back back in the seat. BUT he said the speedo stopped working the same time it started shifting hard and the O/D Off started flashing. So from what I can tell that sounds like a VSS to me right? Thoughts?

Old 10-06-2011, 09:33 AM
79OldBone
Tuned
The odometer stopped working as well tho. I'm not sure if that would have anything to do with the vss or not.

Edit:
Also the dash lights from the speedo to the left died so you can only see the tach. All the other gauges themselves work tho. The left blinker light doesnt work on the dash either. I have read that a bad gauge cluster could do the same thing? Or does that just sound like a few lights out on the dash?

Old 10-06-2011, 10:15 AM
disco biscuit
Senior User
Finally something I can comment on...yeah the tranny goes into limp and increases pressures to try to save the tranny. Runnin it like this will damage it. It will start leavin gears out of the sequence if you go too long

On mine I changed the sensor in the diff but after the speedo still bounced, it went right back to limp. The diff has a trigger ring attached, mine was damaged from a loose ring gear tooth. I went ahead and built the rearend. This trigger ring if flat in any spots will cause speedo/ shift problems

Old 10-06-2011, 10:36 AM
disco biscuit
Senior User
I gotta say after your edit...it does sound electrical. I'm not familiar enough with the specifics of the vehicle to tell you if the signal from vss goes through the ECU first or not.

Hell I should be...I've been chasing gremlins on the E-40 for awhile now. Mine hasn't been electrical though besides a few ratty connectors

Old 10-06-2011, 10:43 AM
79OldBone
Tuned
well what about the lights being out on the dash? is there a bulb behind it? or are the lights an integrated circuit in the dash?

Old 10-06-2011, 10:44 AM
79OldBone
Tuned
I also am not sure which sensor to buy. There are 2 and alot of ppl are saying that the 95's dont have the sensor in the transfer case. But I have an option of both of these.

Duralast/Vehicle Speed Sensor (SU1019) | 1995 Ford F250 3/4 ton P/U 4WD 8 Cylinders F 7.3L Turbo Diesel | AutoZone.com

Vehicle Speed Sensor | AutoZone.com

Old 10-06-2011, 10:47 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

Id recommend you to scan your truck to get codes

Old 10-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 79OldBone
So I picked up a 95 powerstroke last night for 2k to start my 79 body swap project with. Has 240k on it but the trans was rebuild in 08 and has all the papers to match. It shifts wicked hard tho. Puts your head right back back in the seat. BUT he said the speedo stopped working the same time it started shifting hard and the O/D Off started flashing. So from what I can tell that sounds like a VSS to me right? Thoughts?
Look for a broken wire frame the frame to the VSS ..

Old 10-06-2011, 10:55 AM
79OldBone
Tuned
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP

Theres no check engine light tho? Wouldnt it come on if there was a code?

Old 10-06-2011, 11:00 AM
disco biscuit
Senior User
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP

x2 on that deal friend. It's important to note not just any scanner will retrieve the tranny codes. I believe if you have a ford module type scanner it will do it...point is it's not a CEL.

I went through several friends who even had the model specific module. The one I found through process of elimination was the Snap-On Solarus. plus while he was there it ran good test on the rest of the systems...opened the waste gate on the turbo..

Also the visual look at the wiring from the axle all the way to the front is a good idea, as well as a jumper wire from front to back to check continuity with an ohmmeter.

Like his signature says but slight variation:

If you can't fix it with a hammer you got an electrical problem

Old 10-06-2011, 11:02 AM
disco biscuit
Senior User
The tranny on these models throws separate from the ECU....I knew you would ask that, see my above post.

I gotta go back to studying Diesel specifics

Old 10-06-2011, 11:17 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

You wrote: the O/D Off started flashing. thats a reason to get codes.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:38 AM
79OldBone
Tuned
Alright, I have a buddy who works at the local ford dealership. When I get home I will see if he'll run down. I'll buy the sensor anyways tho since its only $20 and try it.

So true or false tho... the 95 only has the VSS in the rear axle? Why is there 2 options of one that looks like it goes in the transfer?

Also if the gauge cluster is messed up I have a buddy with a 91 cab. Will that gauge cluster work in my 95 gas or diesel? The wait to start is in the dash itself not the cluster.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Leemakesmepee
Elder User
Not sure if its the same. but my dads 95 f150 gasser`s speedo went out and it started ****ting really hard. We replaced the vss and did a tranny flush but it turned out being the speedo breaking. not sure if its the same on our trucks. just an idea.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:32 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
If you've got bulbs out, then go ahead and replace them. All you have to do is pull the trim pieces, unhook the little cable that changes your transmission range indicator, and then pull out the instrument cluster. I just took the whole thing to a parts store and they hooked me up with the proper bulbs. It's a night and day difference.

Quick Reply: Another hard shift thread