Oregon Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 892504x4

Corvallis/Albany.... Best of?

Old 10-04-2011, 12:24 PM
The Carpathia
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corvallis/Albany.... Best of?

Howdy!

I'm new in town and I need some advice about mechanics for my beloved 2001 73.L PSD.

I'd like a "best of" list from you locals:

Jiffylube-- like place where I bring them my Rotella and Motorcraft filter and they do the dirty work?

Skilled diesel mechanic. My truck is one of those women who likes to keep her own personal physician "on staff." She doesn't want a dealership, thank you very much, but a mechanic who will know her well.

Bodyshop. She has some rust on her that's making me itchy.

Horse trailer repair place. Same order as for the truck's doctor-- a good guy who appreciates nice equipment and my efforts to keep it nice.

Maybe a trailer storage place.

Thanks in advance for the rec.s! Hope to meet some of you Oregon dieselers before too long.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:30 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to Oregon! I approved your membership this morning, and you are now an Official Oregon Chapter member!

I can't help you with your questions ( I live on the East side...), but Evan and Dave live near ya, and will probably be along to help soon.

Once again, welcome!
Don.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:20 AM
bertha66
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the chapter, I'm also on the east side.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:15 AM
V10Crew
Senior User

Welcome aboard! If your ever in the Stayton area check out Hendricks Truck and Diesel Repair, they are trained on the Power Stroke and the ONLY shop that will ever work on my 7.3, they also service my Peterbilts and have clients that drive from Portland to have them work on their trucks, no BS just staright forward stand up guys.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:49 AM
joe_13894
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the group.

I lived in Corvallis for 4 years and worked there for 10, but unfortunately I'm not a lot of help with your requests. I'm not much into taking my vehicles into mechanics so that doesn't give me a lot of experience in what you seek.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:51 PM
The Carpathia
Senior User
Thanks for the warm welcome, you guys. I'll need it given the way y'all do rain here.

I work in Corvallis but just a bit northwest of Jefferson. Does that count as "on the east side" to you all? Or do you mean east of the Cascades?

V10Crew, I will make the pilgrimage to Hendricks Truck and Diesel Repair. My truck is worth it to me.

Hope to see you all around before too long.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:37 PM
joe_13894
Posting Guru
The "East Side" or "Dry Side" refers to crossing the Cascades. The climate change crossing the mountains is stark. For the most part, so is the outlook on life and behavior of people.

Folks there call it "Central Oregon" if you're anywhere near Madras, Prineville, Redmond, Bend, Sisters, LaPine or Chemult.

"Eastern Oregon" is reserved for the Blue Mountains or the Steens.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:43 PM
joe_13894
Posting Guru
My daughter is active in her high school equestrian team. I did ask her to ask folks about horse trailer repair.

Close to you there is a storage yard on 99W just north of town. It is a former mill site that they converted their yard to storage. It's just past the hospital and not hard to miss since it's right on the highway.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
Welcome!! Well the first thing you ought to do is introduce yourself to Mark (Milleroutdoors) on here. He has a shop near Scio, not too far from Jefferson. I can't tell you how many engines, transmissions, injectors, headstuds, up-pipes, lift kits, etc, etc, etc, have been done in his shop. He also hosts many get-togethers out there as well with fellow diesel enthusiasts. It is a great place to hang out and learn the in's and outs of our trucks. If you are interested in learning how to do the work yourself it is a great place to start. My truck has spent several nights in that shop... LOL

As far as shops go, I am like the rest. Typically do all the work myself. But I can definitely tell you to steer away from a local shop called Cordray's Transmission (Diesel shop). Heard more bad then good. Can't really get into it in here...

Honestly the rest of your questions you just should ask Mark (milleroutdoors) he has lived in the area his whole life and give you the in's and outs of this area.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
First off, for oil changes, DON'T GO TO JIFFY LUBE!!! I used to work there several years ago and there's some shady stuff going on.
I do my own oil changes, but a friend of mine works at the Oil Can Henry's in Corvallis on Philomath Blvd and they do good work there.

For a mechanic, D&B Bear does good work, as does Ken Fischer Auto Repair.

Hard to beat Les Schwab for tire service, but Beggs has been good to me as well.

Body Shops: Freebird on Hwy 34 is good.

Not sure about trailer repair, but for storage I'd go with Riverside Stor N Lock out off Hwy 34 about 2 miles east of corvallis.

Good to see another diesel guy here! We should grab lunch and compare rides sometime soon! If we can get a break in the rain...

Old 10-05-2011, 08:11 PM
The Carpathia
Senior User
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon
First off, for oil changes, DON'T GO TO JIFFY LUBE!!! I used to work there several years ago and there's some shady stuff going on.
I do my own oil changes, but a friend of mine works at the Oil Can Henry's in Corvallis on Philomath Blvd and they do good work there.

For a mechanic, D&B Bear does good work, as does Ken Fischer Auto Repair.

Hard to beat Les Schwab for tire service, but Beggs has been good to me as well.

Body Shops: Freebird on Hwy 34 is good.

Not sure about trailer repair, but for storage I'd go with Riverside Stor N Lock out off Hwy 34 about 2 miles east of corvallis.

Good to see another diesel guy here! We should grab lunch and compare rides sometime soon! If we can get a break in the rain...
Hey, thanks for the heads up re: Jiffy Lube. Just went to Autozone on 9th to get oil and filter with a plan to go to Jiffy Lube. (FYI: Rotella 15/40 gallons are $12.99 right now. No signs for that sale and I bought all at that Autozone.)

So... now would be a good time to learn to change my own cotton pickin' oil n'est ce pas?

I'll keep the other recs in mind, too.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:19 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Stick around this crowd long enough, and we'll have ya doing ALL your own work!

Old 10-05-2011, 08:39 PM
The Carpathia
Senior User
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Stick around this crowd long enough, and we'll have ya doing ALL your own work!
That's the plan... if you guys don't mind starting with me at almost the beginning.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:49 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
We're here for ya! I just retired this year, and have been working on and building "rigs" for over 40 years. The Oregon Chapter is FULL of great people ready and willing to help. Wish You were closer to me, and you could use my shop and gain the knowledge you seek. If your ever over here on the East side of the Cascades your more than welcome to stop by!

Old 10-05-2011, 08:53 PM
The Carpathia
Senior User
Where in the East?

I have a good friend in Sisters so I'll be over there sooner or later.

Oh, and can you explain what is going on with the folks in all that wide open land along 97? How far to a grocery store? Damn, it looks like it takes some skill and planning to live out there. Just sayin'.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvallis/Albany.... Best of?