EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Truth About Trucks - Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:50 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
Truth About Trucks - Ecoboost

Here's a video I found on the durability features on the Ecoboost. Nothing really new, but for you viewing entertainment.

Enjoy....

Durability - YouTube

Old 09-28-2011, 05:41 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Thanks for posting Troy! It gives me shivers to see stuff like that.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:10 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That video is very impressive.

I read in an article that the Ecoboost engine was built with diesel engine specifications, performance characteristics and diesel engine technology. This video lends some credence to the possibility that the Ecoboost engine could some day be transformed into a diesel engine. Forged crank, diesel engine type pistons, direct injection and an inner-cooled turbo. Everything about the new EB engine reeks of diesel performance.

GM converted a gasoline engine to diesel a few years back so why couldn't Ford do it?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Another good information video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxGSH...eature=related

Old 09-28-2011, 04:50 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
The funny thing about 10K oil changes is that you'll never find that in black and white in the owner' guides.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:11 PM
shortride
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tseekins
The funny thing about 10K oil changes is that you'll never find that in black and white in the owner' guides.
That's a good pointer there Tim. I don't have an '11 model owners manual to reference but you're probably right. 10K is a long time between oil changes. You would never catch me going that long. I promise you if Ford said 10k miles, there will be some that will do exactly that. Maybe Ford is revising the manual.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:19 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by shortride
That's a good pointer there Tim. I don't have an '11 model owners manual to reference but you're probably right. 10K is a long time between oil changes. You would never catch me going that long. I promise you if Ford said 10k miles, there will be some that will do exactly that. Maybe Ford is revising the manual.
My manual is very ambiguous and when I brought that pint up to my dealer's service department, they said to perform 5K changes.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:50 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Longer oil change intervals in diesels tend to lead to premature valve train wear and sludge.

I would be concerned with the same in a gas motor as well.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:18 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
From the mid 90's until 2009 or there abouts, I was performing 10K changes in everything I owned and using the orange Fram filters to boot. Never an issue, ever.

But, the power of suggestion here on FTE has convinced me to shy away from that maintenance interval and return to MC oil and filters and perform 5K changes. I'm not noticing any difference in performance, mpg's or reliability and I'm spending about the same amount of money as I did when using the Mobil1 extended performance oil.

My comments are clearly not scientific and I've never owned a vehicle beyond 150K of my own miles. So, I guess a man's mind is his worst enemy.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:01 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
I had a buick one time. New in 91. Pennzoil every 3-5K. At 180K it got totaled. If you looked at the inside where you fill it up with oil it was as clean as a whistle.

Contrast that to our 98 Merc Mountaineer. Bought it 1.5 years ago. All gummed up and sludged. Owner changed it every 10K.

Merc is finally coming out of it now since i have it on a strict diet.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:17 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
I have no scientific evidence that the oil I used (Amsoil full synthetic) contributed to the 211,000 miles I put on a 1994 Honda Goldwing. I did every riding season send a used 3500 mile oil sample to Blackstone Laboratories for analysis.

This picture was taken the day I traded for a 2003 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic. That's my '04 STX in the background.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:22 AM
ddrumman2004
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ nice bike. I owned one as well but it was just too much bike for me around town.
Do you anticipate getting the same high miles with the HD?

Anyway, I plan on the 5k oil change interval myself with my truck only I may go with a full synthetic instead of a blend.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:03 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ddrumman2004
^^^ nice bike. I owned one as well but it was just too much bike for me around town.
Do you anticipate getting the same high miles with the HD?

Anyway, I plan on the 5k oil change interval myself with my truck only I may go with a full synthetic instead of a blend.
The '09 Harley Ultra Classic get around 40 mpg and I've gotten as high at 50 mpg with the Goldwing. the Harley is no where close to the quality bike the Goldwing is. My current Harley has had more issues than all of the 7 Goldwings I’ve owned all put together.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Powerdude
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wait a minute...you can't check the transmission fluid because it's "sealed for life" ?

What's that all about? I normally change my transmission fluids every 30k miles.

It seems stupid to not maintain the transmission...

Old 10-17-2011, 05:24 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Powerdude
Wait a minute...you can't check the transmission fluid because it's "sealed for life" ?

What's that all about? I normally change my transmission fluids every 30k miles.

It seems stupid to not maintain the transmission...
Lubed for life transmissions. The fluid is good for 150,000 miles, according to Ford. After that milestone is reached, the transmission should be flushed and the filter screen replaced, according to the maintenance guide. Same thing in my 2010 Focus.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:31 PM
08SDGal
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They did this because alot of people would change, or have the trans fluid changed, and the incorrect fluid was put in. In modern automatics, the correct fluid is so critical, that they wanted to eliminate the common "big dummy" moment.

We all have to remember that the dummy who uses the wrong fluid, and the trans fails, will badmouth Ford all over the internet. It is never "our" fault. With the way that news travels on the internet, it doesn't matter if the truth eventually always comes out in these threads. The perception is already implanted in peoples minds. Case in point, the spark plug issue which only happened to less than 1% of the trucks out there. Yet, to read on the internet, spark plugs are flying out of heads, through hoods, and killing people ***** nilly.

So, due to the dumbness of the few, the majority get something taken away.

Quick Reply: Truth About Trucks - Ecoboost