2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

2011/12 Expy

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:33 PM
ranstl
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011/12 Expy

We're looking at the 2011/12 Expy's to replace my 2005 F150 Screw. I'm looking for real-world experiences with this vehicle...good and bad. We will tow a 3500# (loaded) boat occassionally, but basically it will be a grocery-go-getter. Also, is this the same 5.4L motor they used in the F150s for a few years (the one with the spark plug and cam phaser issues)?

Appreciate any and all comments on the vehicle.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:02 AM
rjd75
Senior User
I have owned two.. Get a Sequoia or a QX56, Expys are lemons.. After 5 years they can't get the transmission right and the quality is still sub par.. The only reason I drive them is because I can't fit into anything else.. If you are dead set on buying one, get a used one to cut down on depreciation or wait for 2013 when they are supposedly redesigning it and offering new motor options and hopefully a new transmission to go with it.. If you buy a 2012 and they release the eco boost in 2013 you can kiss half the worth of your vehicle good bye right there if not more..

Old 09-23-2011, 03:21 PM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I have had an 07 with very few issues and now have had an 11 alomst a year with no issues either. Our EL is a grocery getter. Drives much better than the 07 and I believe the spark plug issue was solved in 09 or 10.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:09 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I did this exact same swap you describe.

2006 F-150 Supercrew with 5.4 3v (old head design)
2008 Expedition EL with 5.4 3v (old head design)

in fall 2007 (November-ish), Ford redesigned the 3v heads. The sticking issue no longer applies to anything built after that. Cam Phasers were addressed as well and i honestly haven't heard about them in the newer engines as being a problem

I love my Expedition. Coming from your 2005, you will be very familiary with how the whole truck rides and operates. They share many of the same features.

2007+ Expy has a fully independant suspension. Rides great. It also has a 6 speed transmission. Coupled with the 325 HP the 2010+ models get and you have a pretty decently spirited vehicle. Mine is over 7,000 lbs with my family of 6 and out crap inside it. No complaints about performance really.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:31 AM
bigal614
Freshman User
I bought a 2010 Limited a month ago and absolutely love it!.

I was worried about the power and size coming from a 7.3 Excursion but it has plenty of gitty up and with the 3rd row flat folding seats even more room than the X.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by bigal614
I was worried about the power and size coming from a 7.3 Excursion but it has plenty of gitty up and with the 3rd row flat folding seats even more room than the X.
really?

Wife and I are giving serious consideration to selling our 08 Expy and buying a 2005 Excursion. Nothing wrong with the Expy, but she is jealous of my truck, and I would love to have another PSD in the driveway.

we really don't need that huge amount of space back there, but it seems to get used alot

Old 09-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Johnny Law
Junior User
I purchased a 2011 Limited Expedition EL in June. I purchased it to tow my 19ft bowrider which is also 4000lbs +. The Expy replaced my '96 Suburban as the primary tow vehicle. We did keep the Suburban as it has been extremely reliable since new but does have 150K on the odometer.

I decided to look at the Expedition because of the government take-over of the company and the way it was done. I had a difficult time locating the Expedition I wanted so I did take a new Suburban on a test drive. It too road well. I chose the Expedition over the Suburban mainly because of our government's actions and the fact that you can no longer put a 4x8 piece of plywood in the back of a Suburban. The Suburban was definitely much nicer on the inside IMO, but the Expedition had some features that are difficult to beat. For instance, the folding 3rd row seats, the flat floor, the retracting rear side glass, better backup camera software. I am not thrilled about the lack of aftermarket support on the 3rd Gen Expedition. Not that I will be in the market for anything as I do still have my Suburban but just sayin'.

I am a bit worried about the electronics in the Expy. It really is a computer controlled vehicle. Sign of the times I'm afraid. There just more systems that can go wrong, and when they do, I could be stuck. Time will tell. The '96 Suburban has yet been in a auto shop so I am afraid I will be let down when/if something goes wrong with the Expy.

rjd75 if you are really that disappointed with the Expedition, why not buy a Tahoe or Suburban, they will fit you just the same. You do have options before you tell people they "generally" suck.

I have towed with the Expedition and it tows the boat better than my '96 Suburban 5.7L (imagine that). The main reason I feel it tows better is the 6 speed transmission. It really does a nice job of putting the engine in the right RPM range to tackle the mountain passes we have here in the Pacific NW. The back-up camera makes connecting the trailer a one time back up experience. I also have the Rear Leveling Suspension which is another system to break down (leak) but does work flawlessly and the truck does not sag a bit when connected to the boat whereas the Suburban does a bit.

Johnny

Some pics:

Old 09-28-2011, 04:01 PM
bigal614
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Tylus
really?

Wife and I are giving serious consideration to selling our 08 Expy and buying a 2005 Excursion. Nothing wrong with the Expy, but she is jealous of my truck, and I would love to have another PSD in the driveway.

we really don't need that huge amount of space back there, but it seems to get used alot
Yes.....With the 3rd row flat folding seats it will still fit a 4x8 sheet (if need be?)

I haven't towed with it yet but my 7.3 is rated for 10,000lbs and this is rated for 8900lbs so I'm not losing much and I do love the PSD's but too many things other than the engine that can fail and be costly and IF you haven't had any trouble out of your 6.0 you more than likely will. My mech said EVERY one breaks and I trust him, I had an IDM go bad and had to do injectors and that cost as much as an engine.

I have a warranty with mine (Which is exactly like his white EL) and have no regrets as of yet!

My 7.3 is for sale as I type

Old 09-29-2011, 05:08 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

@OP

if you haven't driven a new 07+ Expy yet, you really should. Ford did alot of work to make them more fun/easy to drive. They are quite nimble and responsive. I hadn't driven mine for 3-4 days and just a quick trip down to the store reminded me how nicely they ride. Compared to my truck, the Expy is a sports car in the handling and ease of driving arena
Originally Posted by bigal614
I have a warranty with mine
that is primarily the reason why the wife isn't driving an X right now. I always make sure she and the kids are in a late model vehicle with Warranty and Tow services. Especially when I'm deployed. I pay more long term because we trade up vehicles every 2-3 yrs...but I never have to worry about her being stranded and unable to get repairs completed while I'm deployed.

on the other hand, if my personal truck/car breaks...it's just an inconvenience. I took a risk on my PSD. We'll see what happens

Old 09-29-2011, 05:24 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

here is some cargo shots of my Expy in action. This was my sons entire bedroom set. I was pretty happy with being able to get it all in 1 trip. Notice the twins carseats stacking

1 crip, 1 dresser, mattress, all the other crap the wife felt necessary for another kid

Old 10-03-2011, 05:51 AM
rjd75
Senior User
Originally Posted by Johnny Law

...rjd75 if you are really that disappointed with the Expedition, why not buy a Tahoe or Suburban, they will fit you just the same. You do have options before you tell people they "generally" suck.
Actually I did look at them and they are not the same, they are smaller. In any of the GMs my head is rubbing the head liner if it has a sunroof. In the expedition there is just a little more room. Doesn't really matter though, GMs are just as prone to annoying failures as Ford's. I don't really have many options sadly, I can't fit in the jap trucks either, same problem. Did you know I have already owned two? a 2007 and now a 2010, both transmissions had shifting issues. As I have said before, I am sorry if I offend those who think that crooked body panels, paint issues, leaking windows, and poor transmissions are accetable on vehicles in this day and age. Your truck is still new so you are in the honeymoon phase, give it time.. I have owned two and have a friend who has owned two and all four of them have shifting issues, I guess we just have bad luck and high expectations.

BTW right now I am driving a Ford Escape because my Expedition is in the shop for multiple repairs. After numerous complaints to Ford customer service they refuse to provide me a seven passenger vehicle to accommodate my 3 children in car seats. Now I have to rely on friends and family to help drive my kids around while my big expensive expedition is in the shop. Guess what? The escape has a crappy transmission and has shifting issues as well.. Big surprise..

Old 10-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Johnny Law
Junior User
rdj75,

I am real sorry about your experiences with your two Expeditions. What you are going through would be a nightmare to me. I switched brands (from Chevy to Ford) more on ideological reasons and functional, but I probably would have stayed with a Suburban due to the reliability of the one I own. This does worry me some as I have had very little problems with my '96 Suburban. It has never been in a shop, although I did replace the Fuel Pump in it at about 110K miles. Did that myself. Other than that it has been trouble free and it has 150K+ miles on it now and still my daily driver.

I have a friend who is 6'5" with a large part of his height in his upper torso. He is always dropping by car dealerships and sitting in their cars. He ended up buying a Honda Pilot. I think he has been able to adjust the seat in such a manner as to give himself the head room he needs.

You are right, the Expedition is taller than the Suburban. I apologize if I came across a bit brash, but I think your second post is much better for the OP as it points out the reasons you are in the Expedition and the troubles you have had with it and why you wished you had an option.

That being said, there have been many Expeditions sold and I can't believe that every one of them has a Transmission problem, paint problem and panel alignment problem. Mine has shown none of these and yes it is still brand new. I am concerned as I will only probably put 3K on it per year as it is my vacation car at this point and will be out of warranty by 9-12K miles. It sits in my heated shop so any paint issues won't show up for years I suspect.

I guess when you buy a new car, of any brand you could end up with a Lemon, you ending up with two does seem suspect and I can see how it has influenced your opinion on the Expedition. I wonder if the learning mode is not compatible with the way you drive. That would be a transmission problem also IMO as it should work flawlessly for everybody, but maybe an explanation as to why the transmission fails for some and not others.

You are right, I am in the honeymoon phase (really?) with the Expedition, however, I am worried about the long term reliability as it will completely replace my Suburban when it finally gives up the ghost. I had none of those concerns when I got married to my wife.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:25 PM
rjd75
Senior User
Thanks, I wish you the best with your Expy but in my opinion the odds are against you unfortunately. I ordered my second from the factory with every option as I was hoping to keep it for my wife to drive once my lease is up. I was all excited about it and hoped that my 2007 issues were because it was first year redesign, but I would be very hesitant to keep it past my esp at this point. I have already had one of the power running board motors replaced due to it make a squealing sound. This started about a month after I picked it up, it was done under warranty but I vaguely remember the motor being worth ~$900. Just another example of a premature failure that I do not want to do outside of warranty.

The fact of the matter is that there is a reason the residual value on domestic vehicles is so low and they depreciate like a sinking rock. The quality is just not there and although they have made great strides, there is still much to refine. I drove my wife's Toyota Sienna today and sitting at a light you can barely even tell the engine is running. It is so smooth and quiet and we are talking about a 4 yr old van, nothing but oil changes and brakes. My V8 expedition vibrates so much at idle, it shakes my head if I lean it on the head rest. Hoping for better things in the new models, but the way everything is going who knows what I will fit in to, might have to look at a Dodge Sprinter with the CRD engine if these "big" trucks get any smaller.