1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Turbo kit for a 02 f150 5.4 triton

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 03:57 PM
high class redneck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo kit for a 02 f150 5.4 triton

i am looking for a turbo kit for a 02 f150 and i cant seem to find one. didnt know if there even out there.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:53 PM
jyount
Senior User
I don't know of any off hand, doesn't mean they don't exist though. Supercharger kits are out there though.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Hybris
Posting Guru
Best bet I would say is find a Mustang 2v 4.6L Turbo Kit* and modify it as needed. I feel confident that I can say for sure that you will need a custom tune to run with this set up.

*There are probably 5.4L kits but those are likely going to be for the 4v 5.4L in the Shelby's. Maybe they will work maybe not.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:40 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok, before your start, need to ask you some questions.

Is your engine turbo ready? In order to take boost and still be able to run reliably on pump gasoline, you need to run forged internals. You need forged pistons as a minimum. The stock pistons are too high a compression ratio. You might be able to push them a little bit, maybe as much as 7 lbs boost, which is a lot of extra power, but at that level, if anything goes even slightly wrong, like a fuel pump failure, vacuum leak, overheating, injector failure, etc, the engine will ping under boost and your pistons with either melt or shatter. In order to reliably prevent that, forged pistons that are slightly dished or have a lower height will lower the compression, which reduced the tendency to knock and reduces the dependence on high octane fuel. Plus the Forged pistons will withstand more heat and stress, so if something goes wrong they won't fail.

I'm not sure how much the stock rods and crank will take, but I'm sure if you stay under 15 lbs boost you are probably ok. Mostly the pistons are the critical upgrade. It is also probably a good idea to run better valves too, try to find performance valves made from stainless steel or that specifically say they are designed for forced induction. Ferrea is a well known brand, they should make something that will work. Stock valves will be ok for mild boost.

Once you have better internals, you need fuel delivery that can keep up. You can either raise the pressure under boost with a fuel management unit (FMU), with a 10:1 ratio. This will force the injectors to flow more than normal to prevent the engine from leaning out. Or you will need to get larger injectors and a custom tune. I personally vote the second route, FMUs are usually just a band aid for not having a proper tune anyway, they do work, but not perfectly.

From there, you need an intercooler too. Even under just mild boost, the performance increase of running an intercooler far outweighs the cost. Plus it adds extra protection against detonation and helps you keep the octane requirements down.

You will probably need a custom made exhaust system too.

Not impossible to do, just expensive. But if you cut corners, it will toast your engine sooner or later. What I have listed here is pretty much the bare minimum, the more boost you run, the more you need to beef up other parts to handle it.

Its ok to run cheaper turbos, especially if you are doing twin turbos and you need to get the tuning right. The cheaper chinese ones last long enough, and are actually pretty descent for the money. Under mild boost and with the right care they should hold up fine and will help keep your initial costs down. No point in sinking $2000 in just turbos when you haven't gotten everything else working properly yet. Get a running setup, then look at more boost and better quality turbos. Just make sure your engine and drivetrain can handle it first.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:53 PM
JTJG94
New User
Turbo Kit

Not sure if you are still looking for a turbo kit. I will be coming into some money and I am kicking around the idea of a rebuild and turbo kit on my 99 with the 4.6. Here is a link that might help. Has everything from headers to the stuff for the computer in the kit. Total Performance Complete Street Turbo Kit: 97-03 Ford Truck/SUV w/4.6 & 5.4L (air/air intercooled)

Old 04-03-2014, 01:38 PM
factory142racing
New User
dude ur awsome

Originally Posted by JTJG94
Not sure if you are still looking for a turbo kit. I will be coming into some money and I am kicking around the idea of a rebuild and turbo kit on my 99 with the 4.6. Here is a link that might help. Has everything from headers to the stuff for the computer in the kit. Total Performance Complete Street Turbo Kit: 97-03 Ford Truck/SUV w/4.6 & 5.4L (air/air intercooled)

Dude ur awesome been looking for this kit for 2 years thanks man

Old 05-08-2014, 03:50 PM
Manfrate
New User
It would be cheaper to do a cummins swap.