6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2005 6.0l over heating issues.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:52 PM
WhiteBeast-05-powers
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 6.0l over heating issues.

I am having a heating issue with my truck.

About 5,000 km ago I replaced my oil cooler and EGR tube. Put in a new factory Ford OEM oil cooler, but a BulletProof EGR cooler. Through this process I also bought an Edge CS Tuner. I now leave the tuner permanently mounted on my dash and I monitor ECT, EOT and TFT.

Generally I have no concerns, except when hauling my 5th wheel through the mountains. My trailer only weighs 8,700 lbs so it is not heavy by any means.

Generally my delta between ECT and EOT is less than 10 degress. Mostly with 2 to 5 degrees delta. It is my understanding that Ford recommends that the delta should not exceed 15 degrees and that the EOT should not exceed 225 degrees.

When pulling the 5th wheel up long hills I watch the ECT and the EOT increase at the same rate. Then it will change and the EOT will start to spike, it starts to hit 225, them 226, then 227 all the way up to 233 on the last trip, and now the delta or over 15 as the ECT is still down at 216ish - 218ish range.

When the EOT hits 225, there seems to be a fan or something (intercooler fan maybe? I don't know) that comes on and whines. It whines all the ways up to as hot as it gets. When the heat increases, I loose power as this fan sounding thing comes on at EOT 225 (turbo maybe???)
I find I drop speed from 110kph (68 mph) down to as low as 65kph (40 mph) going up hill when the EOT is over 225 with that fan sound running. There is nothing I can no about it. Even backing my foot off the gas does not seem to make much difference once it is over 225 and still climbing.

As soon as I crest the hill the EOT starts to drop rapidly and goes back down below 225, the fan noise shuts off as the EOT drops to 224. The EOT continues to drop rapidly until the EOT and the ECT are within about 10 degrees or less again. It all appears good again, (small EOT delta) or so it seems until I hit the next long hill again.

I run synthetic oil and it is clean. New air cleaned.

The truck has been doing this on and off for the 5 number of years. But now that I have the Edge Tuner I am monitoring the ECT, EOT and TFT.
TFT will get up to 188 degrees when engine heat spikes. I now see that this fan noise and power loss all happens at that EOT of 225 degress or more.

Outside air temperature was 29 C or 82 F. Intake air may have been hotter with hot air coming off of the hot asphalt.

What it the whining fan noise? Should I be concerned? Because I am concerned.

What tricks can I do to help reduce EOT at these spike times? BulletProof offers an external oil cooler. But that is pricing and a lot of work to go back down in and replace.

Is there a simple oil pan replacement that has cooling fins that will help cool EOT?

I cannot see a transmission cooler helping, but is that something to consider?

K&N air box replacement system?

Stumped?

I supposed an antifreeze flush is definitely in order.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:27 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Your truck is running normal. Ect/eot deltas are when on level ground and engine fully up to temp. Deltas mean nothing when climbing, cresting or going down a hill. The fan type wirring noise is the pcm engaging the fan. Once again normal. The next time you are on a grade and it seems to be getting warm drop the speed down to 50 to 55 and pull the gear shift down into 3rd gear. This is also with the tow/haul engaged when ever climbing or descending. My temps will dramatically drop in a minute or two. When climbing and towing let the gears do the work, not the engine. That is why you have them.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:02 PM
steelhead2
Posting Guru
did you do a coolant flush when you changed the oil cooler?.sounds like it may be plugged again,or getting plugged.8700lbs isnt much of a load.and the fact youre losing almost 30mph is kind of strange to.how long are you above the 15* ect-eot delta?.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:07 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 983 Posts
69cj hit it on the head..... hopefully when you tow you are in Tow/Haul all the time....esp in hilly country! Your temps sound normal to me too.....

Old 09-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts
I agree with 69cj. That is a very good description of how my truck acts pulling my almost 10k 5th wheel. Just add 2-3 degrees to all your max temps. And my delta unloaded is 11-12. I think the full synth oil is a good idea under these conditions. Also slowing down and using the trans does help to limit max temps.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:40 PM
WhiteBeast-05-powers
Senior User
Thanks,
I have been reading though here some more and figured out how to use the SEARCH to more specifically get to what I was looking for.

A few things based on what I read,
1) yes I agree that the truck seems to be running correctly. Reading other posts guys are even running hotter than I am. I think I have been scared to death about high ECT EOT deltas after having to redo oil cooler and EGR tube. So having done some more reading in here and after your comments I am much less stressed about it. Great!

2) Again after some more "SEARCH" direct reading, I had discovered as you have noted that the fan is multiple speed (with many different speeds, I think it said up to 7 different RPM speeds) and it just goes into the highest speed once it hits an EOT of 225. The fan engages at different rpm and just adds cooling. That always seemed really strange to me because that was the only time I ever heard that noise. So again, normal and good to know. Relief!

3) As you noted the truck cools very quickly after reaching the peak. Actually amazingly quickly. So again sounds normal.

4) I did not do a full coolant flush. I am going to put that on my sooner than later hit list now and get that done. I think I am also going to look at a coolant filter. That seems to be a very good idea.

5) As for shifting of the truck, you are correct. I had been towing in TOW mode on 'D' drive only. A couple of times the trany shifted down a few gears on its own when climbing and I had noted coolant temperatures drop in the lower gears with the higher engine RPM. I started manually dropping gears with the shifter and that seemed to help a lot. It just seemed strange to me that I had to manually drop that extra gear to help cool the engine. Especially when my trailer is rather light. But if that is just the way it works I am again relived and less stressed about it.

In close, I think I am going to look at K&N intake system to get it breathing a bit better. That will not likely help with EOT cooling, but will just breath easier.

Do a Coolant flush and install an in-line coolant filter.

Manually shift down when climbing and not relying on the automatic trany.

Then watch the climbing temp and see what happens. It will be next summer before it is that hot outside again so get some winter projects done and watch it next year.

Thanks guys, I am way less stressed about this. I thought I had a serious problem. Apparently, some of this is still just me still learning more about this truck and the 6.0L

Thanks again.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Idahoser
Tuned
Originally Posted by steelhead2
did you do a coolant flush when you changed the oil cooler?.sounds like it may be plugged again,or getting plugged.8700lbs isnt much of a load.and the fact youre losing almost 30mph is kind of strange to.how long are you above the 15* ect-eot delta?.
I don't know, it sounds to me like the oil cooler is doing it's job very well.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:58 PM
XB70
Elder User
You DO NOT need a K&N intake system. It does not flow better than OEM. The OEM filter is also better than anything from the aftermaket.

Don't waste your money.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:08 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
XB70 is 110% correct. Your stock filter will perform to 500 horsepower. Keep it and change it according to the filter minder. Your engine will thank you.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:02 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 983 Posts
It's funny to see all the people that look at that Filter Minder and say, "That thing is junk! That filter has been in there xx thousand miles and it doesn't budge!"

Old 09-15-2011, 08:28 PM
vectrex
Senior User
Might want to think twice about rushing in to do a flush. You could end up clogging your oil cooler in the process of churning up all that garbage. I don't have the link anymore, but recall someone posting about how he clogged up his new cooler after doing a flush on it. I'd install and run that coolant filter a while before flushing. It might clean up the system a bit.

I'm looking at switching from Ford premium gold to ELC, and won't be using any chemicals this time to flush out the system since I just did an oil cooler install. Just diluting the gold out with gallons of distilled.

EDIT: Here's the link http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0...nce-temps.html

It's a long read, but if you're anything like me, you're now a slave to these forums.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:01 PM
steelhead2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Idahoser
I don't know, it sounds to me like the oil cooler is doing it's job very well.
after re reading the op you're exactly right.I've got a bad habit of skimming,instead of reading.as for the af intake don't do it.ive got an afe that I found to be letting dust by it after hunting last week.stock is the way to go.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:52 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by BPofMD
It's funny to see all the people that look at that Filter Minder and say, "That thing is junk! That filter has been in there xx thousand miles and it doesn't budge!"
they say it will hold 3 pounds of dirt

at 80000 filter minder was at 1/3 I reverse blew with compressed air once and got a ton of dirt out of it

I scored a new filter for 20.00 and threw it in cuz I was sick of wondering

Old 09-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Idahoser
Tuned
I replaced the stock air filter in my used truck just to know it's condition. Had no idea what may have been done to it. Cheap insurance.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:20 PM
WhiteBeast-05-powers
Senior User
Thanks.

I also drive a lot of back roads. and on my last filter change i was amazed how much dirt came out of it. Put a new one in.

Thanks for the info on the aftermarket filter. I will stick with OEM

Quick Reply: 2005 6.0l over heating issues.