Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Dash Bezel silver trim how to

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 05:33 PM
nothercrash
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did this around a year ago, but couldn't find a paint pen, and so went with one of those little jars of hobby paint, and a cue-tip. It worked, but it wasn't perfect, this looks GREAT!

But hey, don't hate on Michael's! I've gone there more times as a last resort to find that one weird thing I can't find anywhere else, with generally great results! Thick sheets of cork for custom gaskets, this paint and others, plastic glues and fillers. And tell em you teach kindergarten and they give you a discount! Haha, but no joke! Sure it's no home depot, not a place you go to hang out on a rainy day, but it's come through for me before!

Anyway though, nice work again, and these markers, or the little hobby paints are a great way to really add some snap to your interior. I've used chrome, copper, black, and mixed some to make a green I like.

AleX

Old 09-04-2011, 05:45 PM
MiddleNameMUD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did mine with the same paint pen a lil while ago, but I don't know if it was my pen or the bezel but I should have did it backwards. The paint dries fast, I found that running the small lines "inset the bezel" kind of damaged the tip so I couldn't get a real smooth line on the wider lip. But all in all the closest product to use, turned out way better than I anticipated.
Nice work on yours!!

Old 09-04-2011, 05:50 PM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
That's a great idea! I was just thinking that I was going to have to replace ALL of my dash trim to match a new dash bezel. (Old one is cracked.) Now I know I can fix the original Lariat trim!

tip: to save embarrassment at "Michaels", just take the wife and go in like you are doing so under extreme protest ... works ever time
I have a wife and FOUR daughters. By now I'm almost numb going to Michaels.

Thanks for the valuable tip and photos (I just love photos!) co425!

Old 09-05-2011, 02:30 PM
BIGT94z
Senior User
that turned out great man!

Old 09-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Blown 331
Great job. I'll have to keep this in mind next time I'm at Michaels. lol. Seriously though, I think I'm gonna give that a try. I've got a junk bezel to practice on just incase.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:39 PM
whiteisright
Senior User
anyone put an aftermarket stereo deck in the stock spot? i just took out an old pioneer tape deck out of the stock spot but obviously its going to need some trimming to get a cd deck to fit

Old 09-06-2011, 10:02 AM
toymobile
Senior User
NOS bezle, I went to Ford dealer closin in Alma GA. in April last year bought all NOS they had I've got 2 dash bezels that I remember(raining now) stored in my motor home one radio delet , just food to feed on Thanks Johnny

Old 09-06-2011, 02:15 PM
nothercrash
Posting Guru
White, yes I've done it, and there's actually a kind of tricky, but GREAT (once the work is done) way to do it.

I got a Sony radio/cd/Ipod unit for around 100$, and it was basically the same size as a stock unit, but around twice as deep (front to back). This obviously meant I had to do something about the metal mounts that hold the heater control unit, and the old radio, since they sit facing front, flush with the back of the old unit (meaning the new unit only fits about halfway in). What I did, is just cut them off at their bases, bend them back at 90* so they now sit flush with the TOP of the new radio box, and I drilled one hole in each metal face, and tack welded 2 bolts to the top of the radio box (just the metal shell, do NOT weld with radio nearby!), fit those bolts through the holes in the bent metal pieces, couple nuts, and it works GREAT! You could just as easily use zip ties or something to hold it in, if you don't wanna weld.

Lemme know if you don't get any of that..... AleX

Old 09-06-2011, 05:57 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Finally got a min to get the bezel reinstalled. She looks much better with the non working radio out of there.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:19 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
co425 - Man that looks sharp. Good job.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:33 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Sweetness!!

Old 09-06-2011, 09:27 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Is that a manual choke **** left of the column? If so where can I find one like that?

Old 09-07-2011, 06:47 AM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by grinnergetter
Is that a manual choke **** left of the column? If so where can I find one like that?
Yes it's a manual choke. It's from Edelbrock. There about $20.00 from summit.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:18 AM
POPAJON
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice job!!! another hint to go in my tips book. John

Old 09-08-2011, 12:12 AM
whiteisright
Senior User
Originally Posted by nothercrash
White, yes I've done it, and there's actually a kind of tricky, but GREAT (once the work is done) way to do it.

I got a Sony radio/cd/Ipod unit for around 100$, and it was basically the same size as a stock unit, but around twice as deep (front to back). This obviously meant I had to do something about the metal mounts that hold the heater control unit, and the old radio, since they sit facing front, flush with the back of the old unit (meaning the new unit only fits about halfway in). What I did, is just cut them off at their bases, bend them back at 90* so they now sit flush with the TOP of the new radio box, and I drilled one hole in each metal face, and tack welded 2 bolts to the top of the radio box (just the metal shell, do NOT weld with radio nearby!), fit those bolts through the holes in the bent metal pieces, couple nuts, and it works GREAT! You could just as easily use zip ties or something to hold it in, if you don't wanna weld.

Lemme know if you don't get any of that..... AleX
dont think any of that applies to me. the tape deck that was in it was full size, nothing was in the way. i think i have some cutting to do, i also need a new bezel because theres only 2 screws that hold it on, all the other screws broke through.

also, can someone tell me what the blue wire with red stripe is for? you can see it cut and stripped in the picture.

Quick Reply: Dash Bezel silver trim how to