1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Question for those whom boxed their Frame

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 01:10 PM
rzns60
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for those whom boxed their Frame

I have finshed installing the Front No Limit IFS and Rear 4 bar and now ready to move on to boxing the entire frame. I have a question for those who have done this and ran the wire thru conduit/pipe where did you start and stop your run so the wires enter and exit at the right places? One long run from the front of the cab to the rear or multiples. I am trying to plan everything out before I weld the plate on. If you got pictures that would be great.
Thanks
Kelly

Old 08-27-2011, 05:20 PM
HEAVY100
Senior User
What is your feedback on the no limit ifs ? Quality , fit ?

Old 08-27-2011, 05:34 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rzns60
I have finshed installing the Front No Limit IFS and Rear 4 bar and now ready to move on to boxing the entire frame. I have a question for those who have done this and ran the wire thru conduit/pipe where did you start and stop your run so the wires enter and exit at the right places? One long run from the front of the cab to the rear or multiples. I am trying to plan everything out before I weld the plate on. If you got pictures that would be great.
Thanks
Kelly

well, there should be very few wires going down the chassis, 5 in a normal environment..

park,
brake
turn * 2
fuel sender

I took my wires out thru the top of the tranny tunnel, across the bottom of the cab floor (welded a small angle iron to wire tire the wire bundle to)
and then split at the chassis.. some forward, some rear. all on the drivers side

now, I also have an electric fuel pump, and the wires for the airbag control modules (2) also come thur the drivers side

the fuel pump is on the passenger side , as is the air pump.
these are powered by direct feeds from the battery also on the passenger side. both are controlled by waterproof relays mounted next to the crossmember/chassis intersection.

so I have wires that split off at the rear cross member (where the normal parking brake cables attach) on both sides.

I did not box all the way, but these are the kinds of things you will need to think about if u run the wires inside. Make sure that the tubing is big enough to push and pull a fish wire thru in case u need to repull wires later.

Sam

Old 08-27-2011, 06:59 PM
rzns60
Senior User
I am very pleased with the No Limit IFS and 4-bar. Very solid construcion and heavy duty design. As many others have stated, the instructions are poor, but the Video is a big help. A call to the tech line was the answer to my questions, but they really could take some time and write some professional instructions.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:41 AM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

I fully boxed my frame, but I didn't run the wires inside. Most of the wires and plumbing are behind the cab anyway where you can't see them and I didn't think it was worth the effort. Make sure you weld nuts inside the frame where the running boards bolt on, or cut access holes. Also note, your frame may spread slightly from welding the plates. I read about this after I welded mine and couldn't get my tranny crossmember to bolt back in.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:59 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rhopper
I fully boxed my frame, but I didn't run the wires inside. Most of the wires and plumbing are behind the cab anyway where you can't see them and I didn't think it was worth the effort. Make sure you weld nuts inside the frame where the running boards bolt on, or cut access holes. Also note, your frame may spread slightly from welding the plates. I read about this after I welded mine and couldn't get my tranny crossmember to bolt back in.
that last is a good point, Northern tool (and I'm sure others, but not HF) sell clamps that slide onto 1/2 or 3/4in pipe.. make for a LONG adjustable pipe clamp.. I have the 3/4 in versions with a couple of 5ft black pipe rods as the body..

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7274_200237274

Sam

Old 08-28-2011, 03:54 PM
2dasand
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We have just finished the frame on my dad's '35 Ford. We welded temporary crossmembers on the top across the frame, so we could cut out the original x member, box the frame and build a new tubular x-member. We didn't want the frame to spread, either. Worked great for us.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:05 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Also known as tack bars. They keep everything from moving during the heating and cooling process. Intermittent welds to keep heat build up to a minimum is a good idea, too.

As for wiring, I think I would keep mine on the outside just for simplicity sake, but that's just me.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:42 AM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there`s pictures in my gallery, the tubing basically starts off at the front edge of the cab and ends just after the rear axle, all electrical and air lines on my truck are tucked into this tube.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:41 PM
rzns60
Senior User
Thanks, Gil that was a big help. We also tack'ed support bars across the frame to keep it from moving.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:06 PM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by rhopper
Also cut holes in the boxing for the bed to frame bolts so you can put a wrench on the nuts. Or weld nuts inside the frame before boxing.

"Happiness - 3 pedals and a 5 speed"

Old 08-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Kelly, I have done the conduit inside my frame and have picture's of it in a thread a couple months back. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-my-frame.html

I have not made it much further than the pictures due to working long hours at work. I cant tell you if mine are in perfect locations yet but you can check it out.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:05 PM
rzns60
Senior User
Thanks everyone this has been a big help.