6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

P1378, truck runs fine. What now?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 04:14 PM
sdsd
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P1378, truck runs fine. What now?

I had cleaned my EGR and cleared related codes about 6 weeks ago. Decided to check for codes this past weekend before heading out just to see if anything showed up. Read code P1378 on an Insight CS. Pretty sure that I verified it on an Actron scanner before clearing. Drove 1.5 hrs to the desert and had no codes. Drove the 1.5 hrs back home and P1378 had returned.

Checked batteries and connections; all (resting voltage, load, electrolyte)looks good. These batteries are less than a year old.

Voltages:
resting 12.6+
KOEO 11.8 - 12.4 (ramps up after a few seconds)
cranking 11 ish
running 13.2-13.5

Replaced the FICM relay as a precaution.

Read the FICM guides posted in the tech section and did my best to check the known chafe points.

Had noticed that FICM voltage used to stay glued to 48.0 with an occasional flicker to 47.5. Now that I am paying attention to it, it still stays 48.0 most of the time but drops as low as 46.

P1378 was back today. Cleared it with the Insight. The Insight still shows it. Actron shows no codes.

The truck runs fine. It is a 2006 F250 with 50000 miles. No previous FICM issues.

Appreciate any help/insight on this.

Brian

Old 08-05-2011, 05:00 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
P1378 is a code for the FICM logic circuit which is basically the same as battery/alternator voltage, not the FICM main power which is 48.

The code says,"low batteries, loose connections/resistance in circuit or a defective relay."

Check the plug-in's underneath the FICM also? Corrosion on the driver's side battery cable, power wire that's bolted to the battery clamp, or on the relay plug's themselves?

Old 08-09-2011, 12:44 AM
sdsd
Junior User
Thanks for the reply npccpartsman!

I checked the FICM connectors prior to heading out on Friday. They appeared to be fully seated. Also checked battery terminals. Passenger side + had a bit of corrosion so I wire brushed it. Relay connections looked fine. Made a three hour round trip. No codes showing when I arrived at my destination. Got home and P1378 was back. It shows up on the Edge Insight CS but not on the Actron.

Not sure what to look for next. Don't think that ignoring this is a good idea.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:36 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
A little more specificity on the code says the code is set if the logic power is falling below 7 volts. You might want to have your batteries load tested. It's possible it's dropping out on startup when demand is the greatest and happening so quick you don't see it on your monitor. I'm not sure it really indicates any kind of a FICM problem as much as an electrical system problem and possibly a precursor to FICM failure from low system voltage.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:57 PM
sdsd
Junior User
Well ... Still getting the P1378 code.

Have added 40+ hours on the truck including a couple of 9 hr round trip towing weekends since starting to pay attention to this.

Got in the routine of checking codes prior to start, after start, a time or two during each trip and prior to shutdown. The only time P1378 shows up is KOEO prior to start; typically once every 4-8 starts. Has never shown up while running. Has never shown up after starting (which I'd expect if it was battery related). Doesn't seem to matter if the truck has been sitting for a week or shut down for less than an hour. It just shows up whenever.

I have Duralast Gold 65 batteries (850 CCA) that are approaching a year old. Put a 400 amp load on each for 15 sec and stayed above 10.3V which should be good. Also had Autozone test them with their automatic load tester. That also showed good.

After looking into this, learned about and upgraded to DC Power alternator. Do not think this is a wiring or connector issue since P1378 never shows up while driving. I've pulled all known related fuses and relays for inspection. Replaced the relay. Have pushed and pulled on wires while running in an effort to trip the code. No luck there. FICM voltage was pretty much glued to 48V a couple of months ago. Seeing a lot more time spent in the 46's; more 45's for that matter. Have a Swamps unit on order.

Reluctantly considering throwing batteries at it even though they test good.

Anyone got any ideas?

Old 11-30-2011, 11:49 PM
egregg57
Elder User
My Edge throws this code as well, intermittantly. Would be nice to know where the issue is!

Old 12-01-2011, 12:07 AM
egregg57
Elder User
Found this posted by Cheezit, on search

TSB 09-24-3 6.0L DIESEL CALIBRATION UPDATE - VARIOUS ISSUES

Publication Date: November 20, 2009

FORD: 2003-2005 Excursion
2003-2007 F-Super Duty
2004-2010 E-Series

This article supersedes TSB 9-7-11 to update the model years covered and Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) calibration level.

ISSUE:
Some 2003-2007 F-Super Duty vehicles, 2003-2005 Excursions and 2004-2010 E-Series vehicles, equipped with a 6.0L diesel engine may exhibit hard start, no start, white smoke, lack of power, running rough condition after cold engine start up, or diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0404, P0470, P0611, P1260 and/or P1378 issues. Refer to the Calibration Content for information detailing specific vehicle content by vehicle application and model year that is being addressed by this calibration update.

This article includes previously released calibration content that improves injector performance in cold engine operation and additional diagnostic capabilities and product protection strategy enhancements. These enhancements provide additional diagnostic capabilities, adds additional new DTCs and engine protection strategies. Refer to the Calibration Content for additional details. See the appropriate Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnostic (PC/ED) manual for technical descriptions and diagnostic routines associated with new DTCs.

ACTION:
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) using IDS release 63.13 and higher or 64.01 and higher. The transmission control module (TCM) and fuel injector control module (FICM) , will automatically update if they are not at the latest calibration level. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2009.11 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at MOTORCRAFT PARTS FOR FORD, LINCOLN OR MERCURY VEHICLES.

CALIBRATION CONTENT

Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 418-01.

The PCM and FICM calibration update contains improvement actions to address the following symptoms:

2005 F-Super Duty 6.0L:

False DTC P0470 - Exhaust pressure sensor A circuit fault due to a freezing condition.
False DTC P0404 - Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
Cooling loss protection - Revised engine protection strategy when an engine over-temperature condition is present. Vehicles updated with this service calibration will display higher temperature gauge readings when high engine oil temperature (EOT) conditions or high engine coolant temperature (ECT) are encountered and may disable EGR operation to prevent possible EGR cooler damage.
Oil cooler efficiency monitor - DTC P012F stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when the oil coolers efficiency drops below a specified threshold for a given speed and vehicle load condition.
Turbocharger vane sweep strategy - Performs a sweep of the turbocharger vanes and unison ring during stationary idle conditions. Vane sweep can occur once per hour to help reduce turbocharger sticking.
FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM vehicle power (VPWR) parameter identifier (PIDS) is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.
Turbocharger over boost detection - DTC P0234 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when a turbocharger over boost condition occurs.
2006-2007 F-Super Duty 6.0L:

False DTC P0404 - EGR performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
Cooling loss protection - Revised engine protection strategy when an engine over-temperature condition is present. Vehicles updated with this service calibration will display higher temperature gauge readings when high EOT conditions or high ECT are encountered and may disable EGR operation to prevent possible EGR cooler damage.
Oil cooler efficiency monitor - DTC P012F stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when the oil coolers efficiency drops below a specified threshold for a given speed and vehicle load condition.
FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM VPWR PIDS is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.
Turbocharger over boost detection - DTC P0234 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when a turbocharger over boost condition occurs.
2005-2007 And 2009-2010 E-Series 6.0L:

False DTC P0470 Exhaust pressure sensor A circuit fault due to a freezing condition.
False DTC P0404 EGR Performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
Cooling loss protection - Revised engine protection strategy when an engine over-temperature condition is present. Vehicles updated with this service calibration will display higher temperature gauge readings when high EOT conditions or high ECT are encountered and may disable EGR operation to prevent possible EGR cooler damage.
FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM VPWR PIDS is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.
Turbocharger vane sweep strategy - Performs a sweep of the turbocharger vanes and unison ring during stationary idle conditions. Vane sweep can occur once per hour to help reduce turbocharger sticking
2008 E-Series 6.0L:

False DTC P0470 - Exhaust pressure sensor A circuit fault due to a freezing condition.
False DTC P0404 - EGR performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
False P1260 induced during cranking due to low battery voltage.
Generic on-board diagnostics (OBD) improvements including; Mode 1, Mode 2, Mode 4 and J1699 OBD data test results as reported to the service tool.
Turbocharger vane sweep strategy - Performs a sweep of the turbocharger vanes and unison ring during stationary idle conditions. Vane sweep can occur once per hour to help reduce turbocharger sticking
Previous released calibration content included in IDS software release 48.2 or higher for: 2003-2007 F-Super Duty, 2003-2005 Excursion and 2004-2008 E-Series 6.0L diesel equipped vehicles:

White smoke, lack of power, running rough condition after cold engine start up due to injector spool valve sticking internally during cold engine operation.
No start/hard start when accompanied with DTC P0611 (FICM Performance), P1378 (FICM System Voltage Low) and/or all eight (8) injector circuit codes.
The new calibration changes the frequency of injector spool valve shuttling under certain conditions and will sound differently from previously released versions.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
092403A 2004-2010 Econoline, 2003-2007 F-Super Duty, 2003-2005 Excursion 6.0L: Check For DTCs And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.6 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
RECALEM 04

All that being said, how can one tell what the software flash level is on a particular truck? Perhaps I am suffering from the need for a cold calibration? AND Thanks Cheezit!

Eric
<!-- / message -->

Old 12-01-2011, 12:27 AM
sdsd
Junior User
Since my last post on this topic ...

Replaced batteries and swapped out the FICM with a Swamps unit a couple of months back.

Still get P1378 every 3-4 trips or so. Only shows up on Edge Insight. Newer Actron scanner does not see it and I haven't gotten a CEL from it. Only appears KOEO prior to start; never while running or after shutdown.

Wonder if it is even an issue at this point. Would be cool if a calibration could make it go away. Maybe it is an edge thing?

Old 12-01-2011, 03:15 AM
egregg57
Elder User
Originally Posted by sdsd
Since my last post on this topic ...

Replaced batteries and swapped out the FICM with a Swamps unit a couple of months back.

Still get P1378 every 3-4 trips or so. Only shows up on Edge Insight. Newer Actron scanner does not see it and I haven't gotten a CEL from it. Only appears KOEO prior to start; never while running or after shutdown.

Wonder if it is even an issue at this point. Would be cool if a calibration could make it go away. Maybe it is an edge thing?
I was wondering the same thing but Bismic was seeing this some time ago and I didn't think he had a Edge. I think he had bad batteries that would not stand up to a load test.

I have had my batteries tested and they are good. I'd like to figure this out and since my fiirst reply have been doing some searching. I am going after cleaning/checking the FICM Logic Fuse connection tabs, and checking the FICM Logic power supply relay. I will be looking for corrosion or anything else that might be causing increased resistance, loss/drop of voltage.

In anycase everything seem to be good and I have nothing to complain about. Except for the code I now have stuck in my head! P1378, P1378, P1378!!!

Eric

Old 12-01-2011, 05:13 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,467 Likes on 1,709 Posts
I have seen the code several times. Once was definitely an indication of what ended up being weak batteries as you said Eric.