Sponsored by:

rear window wont roll down

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 05:59 PM
fordluvr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy rear window wont roll down

Hey all, Im new here and new to 4X4's in general, I tried search and found nothing. I cant get my power window to go down in my 82 bronco, is this why I cant get the tailgate open also. Fuse is good, any suggestions?

Old 03-31-2003, 06:11 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First of all, welcome. Hope you enjoy this site as much as the rest us.

Common problem on the tailgate is that it may not be fully latched. Often if the striker posts are worn or for whatever reason the tailgate does not line up properly, the latches will not fully engage. There is an interlock switch on the driver's side latch that requires it to be fully engaged before the window can be lowered. The best suggestion is to try leaning on the gate while turning the keyswitch. There could be other problems but this is the best place to start. Once you get the window down you can open the gate.

Old 03-31-2003, 06:24 PM
fordluvr
New User

Thanks Ill try that and let you know. So you are saying that just putting the key in and turning should make the window go down? I thought you had to use the switch on the dash.

Old 03-31-2003, 06:33 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend

Its an "either/or" situation. The switch on the dash and the keyswitch are redundant. They both do the same thing. They lower and raise the window. There is no "lock" so to speak on the tailgate. Having the window up makes getting the T-gate down virtually impossible....unless you opt to break the rear glass. (Long story)

Old 04-02-2003, 03:24 PM
fordluvr
New User

Well I tried and it didnt work. The key switch was real loose, like when you turn it either way it isnt doing anything.

Old 04-02-2003, 03:46 PM
dsickles
Senior User

im assuming that you cant hear the motor running,
if the switch upfront doent work then the window wont go down, to get it down i would get in the back of the truck and remove the accses panel once remove find the plug that goes into the moter and undo the wiring harnesses, then some how hook the wires to a 12 volt power sourse eather by the car battery or another type of battery, if it doesnt do anything reverse the the wires. and if the window still doesnt go down then you may need to unblot the motor in order it allow the window to go down then repalce the motor good luck to you

Old 04-02-2003, 03:57 PM
fordluvr
New User

I already removed the access panel, but the wiring is a mess. Looks like the motor has already been replaced, it has markings on it like from a junkyard. Well I'll try the wire thing and get back to you, thanks.

Old 04-03-2003, 01:25 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend

Fordluvr,

The keyswitch actually activates two seperate button switches inside the gate. If I listen carefully I can hear them click on mine. Sounds like they may be damaged or even missing on yours though. Might be a good time to invest in a manual with some wiring diagrams.

Old 04-03-2003, 11:43 AM
Tazmanian_Bronco
Junior User
Smile rear window wont roll down

Welcome to the wonderful world of Bronco's and their tailgates!!! Depending on the shape of your tailgate and the amount of use you plan to give your window and gate, you might want to invest some $$ in a new gate and ward off some problems for the next few years. Trust me it can be very frustrating when you drop the window in the winter to haul something and then be forced to drive home in a snow storm with the window still open. I wont drop mine below a certain temp anymore. Good luck to you.

Old 04-04-2003, 12:24 AM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a tailgate being disassembled - you can see each part & how they go together.

Old 04-04-2003, 08:27 AM
fordluvr
New User

Thanks for that tailgate dissassembly. I found one little bit of info that might be useful. "shorting the switches wires will allow the window to move regardless of the latches position."

Old 04-04-2003, 10:42 AM
bigric
Fleet Mechanic

There's a safety switch on the driver's side latch inside the tailgate. If you remove the switch, simply short the two wires in the connector that previously connected to the switch. Two inches of wire and a couple of spade connectors should do the trick; it did on my '92. Do be aware that this now allows you to raise/lower the window regardless of whether the tailgate is up or down. Raising the window with the gate down may give you a few more square feet to set beers, but the window isn't that strong...

Old 04-04-2003, 05:31 PM
fordluvr
New User

thanks, I'll try that and let you know.

Old 04-05-2003, 08:28 AM
Sudsrat
Elder User

Had the same problem in my '91 XLT.What I finally did was to take the driver's side rear light cluster off.cut the ground,remove the connector and scrape down to bare metal.Reconnect the ground and spray over the area with a good primer (Coroless,from Eastwood).Haven't had a problem since doing that 3.5 years ago!Assuming you don't have a bad motor.
Sudsrat

Old 04-05-2003, 12:55 PM
kilted_drummer
Senior User
Exclamation rear window wont roll down

I have a 90 Bronco, had the same problem. IT turned out to be the cutout switch on the latch. I cut the connector and wire-nutted them together. I have had no problems since then. Though I found all this out after taking out the keyswitch and playing around with it, now I have no keyswitch to lower and raise it only the dash switch, but I make due. Other posts have offered the first step, find the power wires connector, should be the only one inside the tailgate near the motor. Disconnect it and run a long wire from each side of the battery to the two wires of the connector, motor should work if it is good. Then flip the wires and the motor should go the opposite direction. If this works, jump the interlock and try it with the dash or keyswitch. Good luck
John.

Quick Reply: rear window wont roll down