1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Compressed Air Couplings

Old 07-20-2011, 10:24 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 465 Likes on 301 Posts
Compressed Air Couplings

I was at a buddy's shop a few months ago and the Cornwell Tools rep was there making a delivery. Being nosey I looked at some of the tools he was dropping off. One item was a slick looking compressed air line coupling (see attached photo). My buddy said that he had been using this style coupling for some time now and was really happy with how they worked. I did a little digging and found that the manufacturer for this coupling was "Prevost". A little further digging turned up a number of discount suppliers.

I bought a couple of these couplers and I can't say enough good things about them. All of my air tools were fitted with the "industrial" style couplings (the brass one on the left in the photo) so I had to switch over to the "automotive" style (the steel one on the right) to accomodate this new Prevost coupler. There is nothing better than to have a tool in one hand and your air hose in the other and be able to connect or disconnect the air hose with just the press of a button. The smooth high impact plastic coating on the coupler is impervious to chemicals and doesn't scratch/chip paint.

Just thought that I would share my experience...maybe there are others who have used these couplers for years and this is "old hat" but for me it has been like a miracle.
BTW - who has a pro or con story to share with respect to the two types of coupling fittings? I got started with the "industrial" so I stayed with that style for many years but I do know that there are many who use the "automotive" style as well. Anyone know why there are two or why one is better than the other?

Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2011, 10:46 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,421 Likes on 1,377 Posts
Actually, there's more than two fitting styles, there's several. It seems over the years, every shop I worked at had a different style, and I have at least three sets of different fittings. They were originally different manufacturers, or brands, of fitting makers, which explains the difference. IIRC, the ones you have displayed are the Milton on the left, and Tru-flate on the right. ARO also made one that looks similar to the Milton, but slightly different shaped, and Lincoln made one or two, as well. This ends your air tool fitting history lesson for today.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:16 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Thanks Wayne! On the Prevost site they do refer to the coupler pictured as the "Truflate" model.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:11 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I get them confused, but one or the other of the Industrial or Automotive has an extended nose on the Male that actually opens a disc valve inside the Female, only when fully inserted; this allows you to disconnect "under pressure" without danger. This prevents hose whipping if the coupler comes apart. At least on the ones I've seen, there is also a difference in the number of locking ***** in the female, 3 vs 4.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:52 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Interesting point Ross...I know that Prevost makes another model that looks like this one only the case is black. It is known as the "safety" coupler because it takes two pushes of the button to release the tool; the first push cuts off the air flow and the second disengages the tool. I have never had an issue with high pressure mishaps involving couplers so I didn't consider the safety model...kinda liked the one-push does it feature.

Here's a pic of the inside of the coupler...it has 6 locking *****. I am not sure if that is better or not but it sure does have a positive feel when you make a connection.

Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work in the maintenance department of an auto manufacture and we finally standardized all of our fittings to the Truflate safety style. As Wayne said there are numerous styles out there and at one time I think we had most of them. As many different DA's and paint guns as we have in the paint shop it was a PITA to work on the air lines. You had to carry so many different fittings around with you. We have been using the Truflates now for about 5 or 6 years and they hold up very well.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:25 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,781 Likes on 1,822 Posts
I too have a large collection of fittings from working in different shops over the years....lol

How is that new style fitting for leaks? There is nothing quite as annoying as a leaking air fitting. Truth be told, I'm probably way too cheap to go out and buy a whole new set of couplers. I guess I'll just keep with what I have now.

Bobby

Old 07-20-2011, 01:29 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
So far so good Bobby. The quality of the coupler is impressive, it seems very well constructed with tight tolerances. I have tried to wobble the connection to get it to leak and it just won't do it.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:46 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Charlie, do you have a link to suppliers? Cost? I definately want some....

Old 07-20-2011, 02:36 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
The vendor I got the couplers from is called Price Pros...I found them to be the lowest priced ($15.20 each) on the Amazon.com website. Retail is over $43 but most vendors sell them for around $18-$22. Here's the link to the Amazon site:
Amazon.com: Prevost (PVOURC061201) Safety Coupler 1/4 in. Truflate Style: Home Improvement

Old 07-20-2011, 03:15 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
I too have a large collection of fittings from working in different shops over the years....lol

How is that new style fitting for leaks? There is nothing quite as annoying as a leaking air fitting. Truth be told, I'm probably way too cheap to go out and buy a whole new set of couplers. I guess I'll just keep with what I have now.

Bobby
The 4-ball couplings at HF are much better than the 3-ball for leakage. Like I said, I can never remember which is Auto/Industrial, "just check their *****" LOL

Old 07-20-2011, 08:38 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
Here is my story and I am sticking to it. I bought all new fitting at HF for all my air tools and paint guns. Six or eight I think. I bought an air impact toll a few weeks later and it would not take lugs off my wheels. I took it to my sons shop and we determined it was a bad impact tool, which it was. We both had 120 psi on our compressors. Took it back and got it replaced. Still would not remove lugs. Thought it was crap so I took it back and bought an upgrade. Would not work on my compessor, worked fine on my sons. Sorry about the long tale but the trouble was the HF fittings did not let enough air through to work any impact. Gave my son the impact and am sticking with my electric impact.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:21 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
The 4-ball couplings at HF are much better than the 3-ball for leakage. Like I said, I can never remember which is Auto/Industrial, "just check their *****" LOL
I quit buying their brass fittings/couplers as they actually bed over time thus allowing leaks. I now buy the silver(steel?) ones.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:02 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,781 Likes on 1,822 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
So far so good Bobby. The quality of the coupler is impressive, it seems very well constructed with tight tolerances. I have tried to wobble the connection to get it to leak and it just won't do it.
Cool, thanks

Old 07-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by bobbytnm

Bobby
They hold up very well, here in the paint shop associates run 2 shifts 5 days a week and they are constantly changing from DA's to paint guns and since we have changed from the brass couplers to the push button ones we have a lot less calls to change them out. And they abuse them alot by dropping the hose on the floor.

Search this Thread