Nevada Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:67 Olfthfl

Are older ford pick-ups going extinct in the vegas region?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 10:58 PM
Arch110
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are older ford pick-ups going extinct in the vegas region?

I just got an 85 F-150 4x4 xlt 2 door with the 5.0 as a restoration project and have called and looked at over 20 different places including junk yards and cannot find a durnned steering colomn for the thing. are older f-150's becoming that depleted that you can no longer find them in a pick-a-part yard or on the internet? I chose the 85 due to its strait design and unmatched reliability (if treated decently) and low priced parts...the master brake cylinder, fuel pump, and fan clutch are together around $70. any opinions on this or rebutles?

Old 07-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i tell you what! i have called every single yard in tucson looking for a mid 80's three speed w/overdrive trans for my project with no luck. the trouble is when metal prices shot up yards pulled trucks/cars out to crush them because they could make money fast.

I have had good luck on craigslist finding stuff.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:58 PM
RocketMonkey28
Senior User
If you ever need something, please feel free to get ahold of me, I will help any way I can. I can keep an eye for trucks when they first get here, so I can get those types of parts before they go to the yard. I also have access to nice stock replacement and custom aftermarket stuff, lights, sheet metal, etc, that I can help with also. Please don't hesitate to ask, I'll make you guys the best deals I can.

Al

Old 10-27-2011, 10:54 AM
78_f800crewcab4x4
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by RocketMonkey28
If you ever need something, please feel free to get ahold of me, I will help any way I can. I can keep an eye for trucks when they first get here, so I can get those types of parts before they go to the yard. I also have access to nice stock replacement and custom aftermarket stuff, lights, sheet metal, etc, that I can help with also. Please don't hesitate to ask, I'll make you guys the best deals I can.

Al
So you work at one of the pick-a-part yards?

Old 10-27-2011, 01:59 PM
R1_Demon
Elder User
From what I've seen down here in Vegas is that as soon as something (anything) arrives at a pick-a-part yard, everyone tears into it and takes friggin' everything off of it, no matter if they need it or not and then they try and sell it later either on ebay or craigslist or maybe even just to other junk yards and such to make more money. They almost do it as a business.

No offense, but it really pisses me off that they can do this now a days. I'm originally from Michigan and it NEVER used to be like that there. You went in and found what you needed (I used to build older Camaros and GM products) and took it off and bought it. You didn't see people friggin' stripping all of these cars/trucks as soon as they hit the lot and not giving anyone else a chance.

To me, if you aren't going to use it for your own car/truck, then leave it for someone else to get when they need it. Every time I've gone to a pick-a-part place down here they have NOTHING but either totally odd cars/trucks that no one drives any longer, so they don't need the parts or they have stripped out shells left of things that you would need parts for.

I know it's not ever going to change, but I think it's a bunch of crap on how it's handled now a days. I tried to find a door handle for my wife's Toyota Camry and every single Camry (no matter the year) was totally stripped out there. I wouldn't have been able to get a single undamaged part off any of those cars. It's ridiculous.

Sorry for the rant...just drives me nuts when people like you are trying to find a part and can't find anything in a whole city because certain people just take everything they can to try and make a profit for themselves.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:23 PM
RocketMonkey28
Senior User
I work out at the one on Lamb. I do mostly the aftermarket stuff, but I am involved with full service. Not much to do with the yard, other than having access to it. And your right, R1, the landscape is changing. There are many, MANY "mechanics" or mobile mechanics that use the yard as a parts resource. I work daily on our inventory, and have begun bringing in more parts like what your talking about. Tailgates, door and tailgate handles, wider selection and deeper model inventory on all the lights, mirrors, etc. We're looking some smaller mechanical items as well, stuff we get requests for on a daily basis. I try to check the drop yard a couple times a day for cool stuff, or if there is anything I'm searching for. I can usually catch them before they get processed or go to the yard.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:01 PM
vfelix702
Laughing Gas

I hope not I have a 90 ford 7.3 Diesel 5speed 4x4 I drive everyday!!!! LoL haven't had a chance to go out to the JY yet but I'm looking for seats fot my truck...