Signature length and content.

Old 03-29-2003, 09:30 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The signatures used by some of our users are getting out of hand. Here are some examples of the problems:

1. A 600 character description of every cup holder, locking lug nut and light bulb you have installed. Quite honestly, no one cares and it wastes space.

2. A listing of every vehicle you've ever owned.

3. A listing of non-Ford vehicles.

4. Tons of graphics.

On April 5th all signatures will be shortened to to a maximum of 200 characters (if you need more, put a link to your profile biography in your signature). If we see non-Ford vehicles listed in signatures they will be removed. If we see overuse of graphics they will be removed.

Old 04-03-2003, 07:23 PM
wolfmanagh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey ken,
Is mine ok? or should I remove the picture of my cat? Also notice they are on my personal site and not in a user gallery.

Old 04-05-2003, 10:29 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

Its a few characters long. We're trying to clean up the boards a little with this change. Every user has a biography section and you can put items/links in there. What we're doing isn't unusual, most of the automotive sites are doing this.

Old 04-05-2003, 06:02 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

Does that 200 characters include if we change the color, font etc? I don't think mine is 200 characters if that isn't counted and it has been shortened..

Old 04-09-2003, 08:33 PM
4x4x4x4
Posting Guru

Neutered again.
I completely understand your point on things getting out of hand.Of course I'm not really happy with how it affects my signature.
No offense intended,just my feelings on the matter as it pertains to me.

Old 04-11-2003, 02:41 AM
77'F-150Mudder
Elder User

I understand about having a max amount of characters in the sig. I hate opening a post that has one line of reply and 20 lines of sig.
I've got a question though. Today, someone modified my sig and removed two FORD vehicles from it. Your sig guidelines say to leave out non-Ford vehicles and every car you've ever owned.
All three vehicles in my sig were Ford products which I still own.

According to the guidelines, I was in the clear. I'm just curious why my sig was modified when I meet all the guidelines. I'm not trying to be argumentative <sp?>, I'm just curious.

Old 04-11-2003, 03:07 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That was me.
I was Positive it read > only > Ford trucks.

I apologise, Please Put them back.

Old 04-11-2003, 03:57 PM
77'F-150Mudder
Elder User

No worries! Thanks Dennis!

Old 05-19-2003, 05:39 AM
youbetcha77
Junior User

They removed the two other cars that were on mine too because they were not fords. To me thats discriminatory, but who cares. I guess I can see their point. I also belong to the GM-Diesel website which is about the exact same thing as this. I have all my vehicles listed with them the same as it was here. I guess I better get it changed there too. I think when you change it, it changes it on every post right then and there.

Thanks

Blaze

Old 05-19-2003, 10:46 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

Its not the exact same thing. Ford trucks are far more popular on the Internet and our bandwidth bill is enormous. We get more posts in 15 days to our site then they've had in their history. When the GM-Diesel site grows up they'll find that dedicated/co-located hosting can get very expensive.

Old 05-19-2003, 12:20 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

It could be worse than it is. I saw someone on another website list a keychain in their signature.

Old 05-19-2003, 12:28 PM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 587 Likes on 318 Posts

I just looked at the top of this page and it says in rather large font, "Ford Truck Enthusiasts" Why would you think it is discriminatory to not allow GM cars in a sig? Go to the GM Cars Enthusiasts site if you want that - or to some other forum dealing with all makes and models.

One of my favorite things about this board is the fact that it pertains to ONLY Ford Trucks. I don't have to weed through a bunch of other stuff that has nothing to do with what I am interested in. This site is GREAT because our moderators help keep it focused. If it were not for the rules that they have in place this forum would be a mess. There is enough slop out there on the internet, I for one am glad that this place is moderated as well as it is.

Old 05-19-2003, 06:44 PM
youbetcha77
Junior User

Thats nice. I like Webmasters explanation better. It was courtious and professional. Broncoguy took what I put and took it six times around the dancefloor. I understand there are rules and such. Do you really have to WEED through my signature to find what you are looking for??????? I dont think so. I dont appreciate what I put in my posts being called slop. Anything I have put in a post has dealt with my 1988 F-150. Check them all if you wish. I think you took up more memory writing all that CRAP than my two other cars did in my sig. If you dont want to look at my other cars then dont look--close your eyes. So thanks for the sarcastic, retarded reply!!!!!!!! Thankyou Webmaster for informing me. You have a really good point about all the posts that come on here in one day. Everyone here has helped me very much on my truck. I apoligize for expressing my opinion on bronco. I understand that everybody posting that stuff would led to alot of space taken. Someone has already removed the two other vehicles and left my truck and lincoln. So that is cool. Thanks again.

Blaze

Old 05-19-2003, 06:52 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

Yeah so uh, no one ever answered my question. Does the 200 characters include the code to change the colors and fonts? I had to change it up to get it to all fit and I know what I wrote isn't 200 characters. I counted, including spaces and punctuation, and it wasn't 200 but with the code to change the colors, it would be...

Old 05-19-2003, 07:48 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes Connie,

Code uses it up too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Signature length and content.