6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Low Boost Pressure and EGR Delete

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 01:04 AM
Blacksmith101
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Boost Pressure and EGR Delete

I put an EGR delete on my 06 and promptly got a CEL for P0401. I also had a drop in both boost pressure and MPG. No matter what, the boost will not go over 20lbs, and I am reasonably sure that is why my MPG dropped like it did. It is my understanding from an old post that I read on here that my ECM is placing the turbo into a default mode as a result of the low EGR flow, or total lack there of in my case. Is this true? What have others in my place done to solve the problem? I bought a programmer that promised a solution, but after installing it I find that while the CEL doesn't come on the P0401 code is still being set and my boost is still limited to 20lbs. Anyone got any ideas? I really don't want to put an EGR Cooler back on this pickup but I guess I will if I have to.

Thanks
Rem

Old 07-08-2011, 07:12 AM
KIDkiser
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i had no problems on my 06

Old 07-08-2011, 07:33 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blacksmith101
I bought a programmer that promised a solution, but after installing it I find that while the CEL doesn't come on the P0401 code is still being set and my boost is still limited to 20lbs.
What programmer did you buy?

Old 07-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Blacksmith101
Junior User
It was an SCT FX. I am not ready to bad mouth anyone by telling who I got my custom tunes from, as I am still hoping they will come up with the solution. However, I would like to know if anyone else has ran into this problem and what they did to fix it. Of course there is always the better than even chance that I have no clue what is really going on here and I have a whole other problem.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Blacksmith101
Junior User
OK, so Friday evening I heard back from MKM Customs about my problem and my tunes. Their reply was:

Hey. Sorry for the delay. There should't be any default or limp mode because of the EGR delete. It sounds like you might have an exhaust leak or intake leak. On some, especially the newer 6.0s the EGR code doesn't go away completely. It becomes a soft code. I would start by looking for any leaks, especially the lower boost tube.

I also got a call for help from my oldest daughter so between Friday night and Sunday night I put 1200 miles on the pickup. Never had any problems except no boost over 20lbs and pretty crappy fuel mileage. I did give the air to air a quick check before I left and I didn't find any leaks. On a big truck you can hear it if you have a constant leak, is it not the same the 6.0? Sure would like to hear from anyone else who has had anything like this happen. How about it techs, is there a limp mode for a failed EGR system?

Thanks

Old 07-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Striderwv
More Turbo
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
After surgery my boost can only get to 23 if I really try hard. Still seems to have the same power and my mpg has remained the same. IIRC Cheezit mentioned in a thread he had lower boost with the same power also, and it was just the nature of the beast after the delete. I think he was around 22. Your 20 seems a little low and may very well be from some slight leakage. Are your CAC boots oil soaked? If so, you probably have some small leakage on the intake side and may want to replace them. Did the exhaust pipes go together flush after the surgery?

Old 07-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Blacksmith101
Junior User
Last night, using a MODUS I performed the Turbo Boost Test as defined by Snap-On. At 1200 rpm I cycled the VGTDC from 0% to 85% and watched the MGP. My results were 0 - 3 psi. That is not change, that is total boost. Problem is I have not idea what the results are supposed to be. I think this could be a pretty big clue, but I have to do some more research. Anyone else ever run this test? What were your results?

Old 07-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Blacksmith101
Junior User
Oh, and after a very careful check I can say with confidence there are no intake or exhaust leaks.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:04 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Last night, using a MODUS I performed the Turbo Boost Test as defined by Snap-On. At 1200 rpm I cycled the VGTDC from 0% to 85% and watched the MGP. My results were 0 - 3 psi. That is not change, that is total boost. Problem is I have not idea what the results are supposed to be. I think this could be a pretty big clue, but I have to do some more research. Anyone else ever run this test? What were your results?
mine is the same 20-22 psi, unless I work for it. however I did find not to long ago that I crack the left side up pipe and have not had a chance to deal with it, maybe my numbers will improve. my truck runs fine.
your boost test is good 3 psi mgp with vgt @85 and rpm @1200 is great almost to the point of over boost.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Blacksmith101
Junior User
My truck runs OK as well, but I know that there is a lot more it can do. Cheezit, you got any ideas on where to look next?

Old 07-13-2011, 05:44 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Like I said it seems somewhat normal. the trucbo is to some degree back pressure dependent. I would start by finding a way to smoke test the exhaust for leaks. one of the reason I have not chased the concern is 20 psi will keep the heads in place and not floating around on the deck

Old 07-14-2011, 08:42 AM
Blacksmith101
Junior User
I ran a test where I locked the VGTDC at 65% and ran the motor up under load. I was able to produce 35 lbs of boost right away. This, and the fact that I have checked the exhaust for leaks over and over again, leads me to think that the problem is not air leaks or any other mechanical problem but is a control system problem. That having been said, I don't understand what has triggered the problem, as the pickup runs the same with the EGR Flow PID as it does when the codes are cleared.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:34 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I ran a test where I locked the VGTDC at 65% and ran the motor up under load. I was able to produce 35 lbs of boost right away. This, and the fact that I have checked the exhaust for leaks over and over again, leads me to think that the problem is not air leaks or any other mechanical problem but is a control system problem. That having been said, I don't understand what has triggered the problem, as the pickup runs the same with the EGR Flow PID as it does when the codes are cleared.
That sounds like a great way to blow a head gasket or float an exhaust valve due to excessive back pressure and cause piston contact.

Cheesit, I have only had 20-22 psi boost ever since I installed my Banks Intercooler, stock programming. I figured it was because it flowed more air at lower pressure, however I noticed this weekend after pulling the cab that I do have a slight leak in the driver's side up-pipe flex joint. I'm wondering how much is too much. There is just a light amount of soot visible on the back of the block.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Blacksmith101
Junior User
LOL, well I didn't ask anyone else to do it. Sometimes you have to take a few risks in the name of science.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:24 AM
F250BlackChrome
Freshman User
Plug EGR Valve Back In after EGR Delete?

Hello fellas.

Truck:

2006 6.0l PSD, River City Diesel EGR Delete, custom SCT tunes (street, tow aggresive with turbo brake, and economy.) Had my CCV rerouted, EGR turned off via the SCT, and a coolant filter since practially new. Truck has 97,000 miles on it. Coolant filter has saved my oil cooler, as verified by my Scan Gauge II.

I just completed my River City Diesel Delete and noticed my boost maxed out at 21 lbs which is lower than before, EGT's are lower too. (goodbye POS passenger side up pipe scoop!!).

I'm OK with this because it runs like a champ!!
I'm ok with lower boost numbers & EGT's myself as it should help reliability. No studs.

Mileage not affected.

No exhaust leaks! Was not fun working around my Magnaflow 4" downpipe.

EGR cooler didn't fail but she looked like it got hot from the discoloration where the EGR Cooler/Uppipe met. Had minor puking when towing 11,000 lbs, and pushed hard.

Anyway here is my question:

I put the River City EGR valve delete "plate" where the EGR Valve once was.

I promptly got the check engine light with a P0403 & p0405. Called Innovative Diesel and they said to just plug the EGR valve back in and leave it on top of the engine. Check engine light off.

The EGR Valve looks like **** laying there on top of the engine plugged in.

Can I just put the EGR valve back in the hole with it plugged in?

Or will I leak boost? I can't tell from the 6 liter bible pictures.

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Low Boost Pressure and EGR Delete