1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

How to stop the ding ding ding

Old 07-02-2011, 06:25 PM
DOUG5G
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to stop the ding ding ding

From reading a bunch of threads I believe my key-in-ignition alarm is constantly on. Whenever my driver side door is open and the key is not in the ignition I get the dings. Doesn't ding with the passenger side door. I just had a lot of air bag work completed....clockspring, module, and sensors. When I left the repair shop I heard the ding and assumed it was because the key was in the ignition. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? I don't want to go back to the dealer if it something easy for me to fix.

thanks
Doug

2008 Ranger "sport" 3.0L

Old 07-03-2011, 07:12 AM
Rackster
Senior User
Ding Ding Ding

I'd take it back myself. Sounds like something got messed up and you don't want it to have included the passenger safety items (i.e. airbag). I'd want to be sure that everything is working as intended. I'd hate to have my face find the windshield.

Good luck.

Kevin

Old 07-03-2011, 02:36 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if its like my '93 and you can find the box where the chime is, just unplug it. i had a astro years ago (before airbags) that the key chime would go off while driving. removed the whole thing.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Junior User
Some cars they go off for anything safety based like lights on/ignition off, airbag, door open, key in seatbelt.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Dutter
Elder User
Yeah that dinging really pisses me off, so heres what i did, on the cab were the door gos ull see a button looking thing, you pull that about at disconnect one of the wires i think it was the green, or maybe the red,, But when you do that the door wont ding and ull still have ur inside lights work

Old 07-05-2011, 08:10 AM
grandmas77f150
Posting Guru
I pulled the GEM out from behind the dash and put gorilla glue in the speaker since the speaker on mine cannot be unplugged

Old 07-05-2011, 09:58 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a switch in the ignition. That switch is supposed to make contact through the key when a key is inserted. Sometimes this switch becomes dislodged or bent, causing to to find a path to ground. The module will them ding as though your key is in all the time. The solution is to reposition the switch, or disable it.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:08 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by DOUG5G
From reading a bunch of threads I believe my key-in-ignition alarm is constantly on. Whenever my driver side door is open and the key is not in the ignition I get the dings. Doesn't ding with the passenger side door. I just had a lot of air bag work completed....clockspring, module, and sensors. When I left the repair shop I heard the ding and assumed it was because the key was in the ignition. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? I don't want to go back to the dealer if it something easy for me to fix.

thanks
Doug

2008 Ranger "sport" 3.0L
I would bring it back also........however if they pulled the steering wheel etc apart..there is a wire that clips on to the key cylinder. the plastic piece holding the wire breaks and you get the result you are talking about.........just a hunch!!!

Old 07-05-2011, 11:16 AM
grandmas77f150
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by KhanTyranitar
There is a switch in the ignition. That switch is supposed to make contact through the key when a key is inserted. Sometimes this switch becomes dislodged or bent, causing to to find a path to ground. The module will them ding as though your key is in all the time. The solution is to reposition the switch, or disable it.
I just cut the wire

Old 07-05-2011, 06:10 PM
DOUG5G
Mountain Pass
I did contact the dealr and I was told what I am hearing is normal. SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER THIS SIMPLE QUESTION!!! If I do not have the key in the ingnition and I open the drivers door should I hear any dings?

I found this is the owners manual....
Key-in-ignition warning chime: Sounds when the key is left in the
ignition in the OFF/LOCK or ACCESSORY position and the driver’s door
is opened.

Headlamps on warning chime: Sounds when the headlamps or parking
lamps are on, the ignition is off (the key is not in the ignition) and the
driver’s door is opened.

Door ajar warning chime: Sounds when any door is opened (or not
fully closed).

Parking brake ON warning chime: Sounds when the parking brake is
set, the engine is running and the vehicle is driven more than 3 mph

This makes it sound like I should hear I ding with the key out and door open...
Thanks
Doug
2008 Ranger Sport 3.0L

Old 07-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Rackster
Senior User
Dinging

If key is out, lights are off, and the door is opened, you shouldn't hear any dinging. I'd bring it back to the repair shop and have them fix it. I don't know why the dealer would think that the dinging is normal...then again, I had a dealer tell me that my truck had a timing chain (and it doesn't). Get your piece of mind back and hope the repair shop doesn't call the dealer.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:19 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I was going to say, stop the ding-ding with a snip-snip, but thought better of it, especially when dealing with semi-explosives in the airbag system...

I vote with Rackster. The tech either damaged something or left something ajar. There is a switch built into the ignition lock cylinder that senses if the key is inserted or not. It apparently is not working. Either the wire is loose and flopping around or the insulation has been cut, or the switch is not opening[closing] when the key is removed.
If you disable the warning speaker, you'll get no indication when you open the door, and can lock the key inside easily. { been there...PITA} You may also lose the headlights on warning.
If it didn't have this "feature" before, ask them pleasantly to uninstall it...
tom

Old 07-06-2011, 07:34 AM
grandmas77f150
Posting Guru
I can't understand why anyone needs a warning buzzer to take their keys with them.

Why would you not take your keys out of the ignition and take them with you?

Why would leave the headlights on? If your headlights are on it must be dark, you should be able to see it

I always know when I have a door ajar, I don't need a chime or warning light to tell me

Maybe I'm just more observant

Old 07-06-2011, 09:26 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Back when my Ranger was new, I went to a class on the other side of the SF Bay. I left at 5AM to 'avoid the rush'. Wrong. I was in stop and go in an almost brand new truck until after 7, with class starting in an hour. I got there in daylight, and parked where my headlights glow didn't reflect from anything.
After class, I went out to find the headlights burning away. Shut them off ASAP. Tried the starter. Click. I was able to push the truck out of the parking spot, and straighten it out. Open door, put in neutral, get behind and push. Jump in, key to ON, pop the clutch. It started. Unbelievably, the battery lasted over 8 years after that...
I added a buzzer warning for the headlights.
The key thing is a bit harder, as when you lay them on the seat while looking for your grocery list, and then get out and lock the door...
I now put them in my pocket whenever I take them out of the ignition, and check they are not on the seat.
tom

Old 07-06-2011, 12:04 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
i never lock my doors, nothing in the truck worth taking.ignition has been rigged for years. cut the head off a key and slid the teeth into the lock cylinder, no more searching for the right key, just twist the switch & go. from the outside it appears qutie normal. it seems i drive so much at night that reaching for the switch to shut it off when i park is automatic, weather its dark or not. the only thing i really do worry about locking is the gas cap. you could literally steal the whole truck with no problems, but youre going to need to do a little work to get fuel out of it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to stop the ding ding ding