Notices

Bent Frame

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 06:08 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there any updates to this saga of ****ty drivers complaining about reaching their vehicles limit?

Old 02-22-2012, 09:22 PM
vlmach1
Freshman User
lol i know

Old 03-04-2012, 04:13 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
I like the Raptors, but if I had that kind of coin to drop I'd just buy a super duty and spend the rest on performance upgrades.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:12 PM
fruth04
Senior User
^^ havent seen a superduty with any updates to make it like a raptor... .... they might have built them to jump but you still gotta do it right, no different then big kids riding/jumping honda crf 50 (88lb rated) dirt bikes careless riding and you will bend everything, a smooth riding style and you can hit 30ft gaps on stock frame, wheels..... same idea..... a truck is pretty heavy to be flying and landing..... you need to be smart about it.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:55 PM
vista461
Junior User
Originally Posted by SVTRay
I do believe they changed the tuning on the Raptor's suspension by swapping rear springs. But installing a crash device in a crush zone designed to give in a crash is questionable on Ford's part...especially since they boxed in the same frame sections on the SVT Lightnings.

Here is a picture of the crush zone on a Raptor with the factory bump stops.

In this picture you can see a slight deflection in the bump stop have a hard impact.

That looks like an access hole, not a crumple zone.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:23 AM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have been watching this thread to see where it goes.....

Not that I own one, but that picture of the dimpled frame under the bump stop signifies running out of suspension travel, or EXCEEDING the trucks capabilities. Just because something will jump 1 foot does not mean that it will jump 3 (example only, I have no idea of the design limit on a stock Ford Raptor, but rest assured, there is one).

Or the other possibility is that the truck was loaded, then jumped, which would also cause a harder than designed crash into the bump stop, or in laymans terms, again, EXCEEDING the trucks design capabilities / abuse of equipment.

Now if this happened on the road, with a normal load / driving, then I would have to say that the frame is weak, but off road, without a video of the actual suspension in action and watching the travel, it is hard to say that the frame is just too weak.

Ride dirt bikes for a bit and you realize the downside of coming up short on suspension travel / too soft of springs and shock settings for the riders weight....

As a side note, it is obvious to me that some buy the Raptor for the improper use, IE they complain about the trucks squat under heavy loads. Ummm, ya, guys and gals, this truck is purpose built with a fairly compliant long travel suspensioned designed to travel fast off road, exactly what is NOT required to haul a load on road. Mis application of a truck for sure in my mind. Kinda like using a F150 to haul 20 k or using a SD as only a commuter car. Select the right tool for the job at hand!

My two cents - David

Old 04-15-2012, 07:14 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks like they could have added some beef under that access hole, and made the hole itself much smaller.

In any event, that can be a chance to snag a Raptor cheap. A used truck lot wouldn't hesitate to swap frames, and you can do it at home with basic hand tools and an engine hoist or similar.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:50 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by monckywrench
Looks like they could have added some beef under that access hole, and made the hole itself much smaller.
They sure could. The question is what will be the next weak link? Then they can beef that up too. Then another weak link will come up...beef that up to...then another weak link...beef it up...another weak link...beef it up...
Are you catching my drift?

Old 04-16-2012, 05:30 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanlyr
I have been watching this thread to see where it goes.....

Not that I own one, but that picture of the dimpled frame under the bump stop signifies running out of suspension travel, or EXCEEDING the trucks capabilities. Just because something will jump 1 foot does not mean that it will jump 3 (example only, I have no idea of the design limit on a stock Ford Raptor, but rest assured, there is one).

Or the other possibility is that the truck was loaded, then jumped, which would also cause a harder than designed crash into the bump stop, or in laymans terms, again, EXCEEDING the trucks design capabilities / abuse of equipment.

Now if this happened on the road, with a normal load / driving, then I would have to say that the frame is weak, but off road, without a video of the actual suspension in action and watching the travel, it is hard to say that the frame is just too weak.

Ride dirt bikes for a bit and you realize the downside of coming up short on suspension travel / too soft of springs and shock settings for the riders weight....

As a side note, it is obvious to me that some buy the Raptor for the improper use, IE they complain about the trucks squat under heavy loads. Ummm, ya, guys and gals, this truck is purpose built with a fairly compliant long travel suspensioned designed to travel fast off road, exactly what is NOT required to haul a load on road. Mis application of a truck for sure in my mind. Kinda like using a F150 to haul 20 k or using a SD as only a commuter car. Select the right tool for the job at hand!

My two cents - David
Outstanding post sir.

Originally Posted by aortizexcursion
They sure could. The question is what will be the next weak link? Then they can beef that up too. Then another weak link will come up...beef that up to...then another weak link...beef it up...another weak link...beef it up...
Are you catching my drift?
If one were to take a Superduty and jump it and abuse it like the Raptors have been, it would turn into a pretzel. Would the truck then be a piece of junk? No.

We all saw the videos. The trucks were hitting washouts as they landed and or were landing improperly and forcing way too much stress on the rear suspension and frame.

Likewise the Raptor is not rated to pull 14,000 lbs like a superduty.