1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 6.4 Turbo problems??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Stokedog
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 6.4 Turbo problems??

I recently purchase a 2008 F-250 with a 6.4 powerstroke. The truck runs great except every now and then the turbo will not kick in and the truck has almost no power?

Any suggestions on what my problem is??

Old 06-24-2011, 08:50 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
just based upon the vague discription I wonder if you are going thru a cleaning of the exhaust (regen) cycle? How far apart are these low power events?

Old 06-24-2011, 09:18 PM
Stokedog
New User
It is happening about every 20-30 miles. Seems to happen ecspecially in the city when slowing down and then back on the throttle to have no power. After pumping the pedal 3-4 times or pushing it all the way down all of a sudden the turbo boost comes back on and then back to normal.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:27 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These engines have a serious lag or delay issue. Its in the programming due to the strict emissions requirements. From a dead stop if I give the truck anything more than 1/4 throttle it barely moves for about 2-4 seconds which seems like hours if trying to pull out in traffic. If I am slowing down and suddenly get back in it (again anything more than 1/4 throttle) the lag appears again.
I have found its not as bad when the engine isnt at operating temps yet. The more pedal you give it, the longer the delay.

If this is what you are experiencing its just the nature of the 6.4. Numerous complaints about it and I have been told by the dealer(s) that its normal. Actually they say they cant duplicate my concern, but take them for a ride and they recognize it but say its just normal.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Stokedog
New User
I don't think it's lag. You could hold the pedal down for a solid 10-15 seconds and the turbo will never build up any pressure. Do that same thing 3-4 times then the turbo seems like it will kick in and start working again?????

Do you think it has something to do with the emission stuff or something?

I am new to these motors.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:13 AM
senix
Super Moderator
I think this is something else other than turbo lag. Do you ever get a cleaning exhaust filter message at all?

Do you have the screen to where you can run the setup and see MTE, brakes ok, battery ok and then at the end if it is in regen, see the message?

Also last time for fuel filter change?

Old 06-25-2011, 07:09 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

[quote=senix;10500982]I think this is something else other than turbo lag. Do you ever get a cleaning exhaust filter message at all?

Do you have the screen to where you can run the setup and see MTE, brakes ok, battery ok and then at the end if it is in regen, see the message?

Also last time for fuel filter change?[/quote

This seems to be the right track, IMO. Filters, even if you or someone has changed them recently, I would do it again. I bought an early 08, and it seemed to have a bad lag, maybe not exactly the same time lag as the OP. I changed the fuel filters, replace with Motorcraft, and changed oil and used Motorcraft oil filter, drove it about 3K and did it again and the lag was far less noticable. Also, even thought the truck only had 25k on it, I put in a new Motorcraft Air Filter also, that seemed to help a lot also.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:11 AM
caprang
Posting Guru
That sounds a lot more serious than the standard turbo lag. I have never seen it last 10-15 seconds.
I agree, you should start with the regular maintenance items as these trucks are really sensitive towards good maintenance. Be sure you replace BOTH fuel filters. As gearitis pointed out, do all the maintenance items so at least you know where you stand. When you buy used you either dont know or you are at the mercy of believing the person you purchased from.
Beyond that, look for trends. Is it weather related, temp of truck, long drives, short drives, anything you can pinpoint at all to establish a trend. Any smoke from the tailpipe? When was the last regen? etc.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Stokedog
New User
I am not seeing anything about "exhaust filter cleaning or regen". I did have the warning come on to drain the water seperator so I did that and I also had my local shop put a new sensor on the water seperator. They were also supposed to put me 2 new fuel filters in but did not yesterday. I am going to take it back Monday and have them put 2 new fuel filters in and see if that helps.

I will let you know what happens after the 2 new fuel filters.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:42 PM
senix
Super Moderator
How about you go out right now and drain the water off the separator. What we want to know is does the fuel flow freely? If not then not only filters but it also needs cleaned out, not just a sensor.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Stokedog
New User
Ok, I drained the water seperator it took it about 2-3 minutes to drain off about 16 ounces. Then all of a sudden at 16 ounces it immediatley slowed down and then took about 8 more minutes to only drain off about 9 more ounces. So I drained off 25 ounces total.

How does that sound?

Old 06-25-2011, 05:35 PM
senix
Super Moderator
sounds like it is draining slow. So that means not only change the filters but inspect inside before putting new filters on.

Might want to consider a visit to the dealer for the kit for that cover where the yellow handle is.

You can take that cover off and clean in there as well once you get the kit.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:23 AM
Carpenter111
New User
Did you find the problem

Originally Posted by Stokedog
I don't think it's lag. You could hold the pedal down for a solid 10-15 seconds and the turbo will never build up any pressure. Do that same thing 3-4 times then the turbo seems like it will kick in and start working again?????

Do you think it has something to do with the emission stuff or something?

I am new to these motors.
I have the same issue did you find the problem?

Old 02-16-2018, 02:25 PM
254XP3
Junior User
Have same issue with my son in laws 2008 6.4, dealer diesel tech advised that I check VGT Duty Cycle as well as the TPS(Throttle Position) Actual and Desired. Torque Pro has these PIDS and can monitor I believe. Going to give that a try and see what it shows, then check back with dealer tech on results. They were 2-3 weeks out for scheduling so I asked him what I could do to possibly run it down and that is what he would check. Now I need to find out what Ford spec/resistance is on the TPS to see if I am in spec.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:30 PM
Carpenter111
New User
Let me know

Originally Posted by 254XP3
Have same issue with my son in laws 2008 6.4, dealer diesel tech advised that I check VGT Duty Cycle as well as the TPS(Throttle Position) Actual and Desired. Torque Pro has these PIDS and can monitor I believe. Going to give that a try and see what it shows, then check back with dealer tech on results. They were 2-3 weeks out for scheduling so I asked him what I could do to possibly run it down and that is what he would check. Now I need to find out what Ford spec/resistance is on the TPS to see if I am in spec.
let me know what you find out. I was told I might have a dead spot in my actuator

Quick Reply: 2008 6.4 Turbo problems??