2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Looking at 2007 Expedition EL's

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 11:05 AM
2FordTrucks
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at 2007 Expedition EL's

Our 2000 Excursion is getting up there in age and has 148k on its 5.4. Although it feels like it has a bunch of life left I think the best thing to do is to move on and the EL expeditions look like they have plenty of room. I looked at Suburbans and Yukon XL's but they are proud of them. For right at 20k it looks like I can get a nicely equipped '07 EL. Anyone have one? How is the room in the back compared to the excursion with the 3rd seat up? How are the 5.4's now compared to 11 years ago? Any issues to look out for with this year model?

Old 06-19-2011, 10:27 PM
merkstang
Senior User
me too!!!

Looking at 07 and 08

08 is in Florida and is only 2wd Not sure if it has sync
no nav but I dont know that I want it...

07 is in NJ - much closer to look at and pick up.
4x4 Nav, dvd, From what Im reading here no sync

ANy pros and cons of the two?

Old 06-28-2011, 04:15 PM
SickPup404
Junior User
I have the 07 EL Limited. I will reply later, but Dad duty calls right now...

Old 06-28-2011, 05:32 PM
10sne1
New User
We were shopping to replace my wifes 1999 130K suburban, falling apart. We looked at new and used Suburbans, crazy $$$'s So we were going to by a mid size SUV, but even a stripped was 28 to 32 thousand. Came across a 2008 XLT Exepiditon EL 40k miles. It was $22K. That is approx $17K less than new, and half price of a Suburban. We have way more room than she had in her Suburban. Electric flat 3rd row seating is just too nice. This one also came with captain type seats for the second row. We are happy with the purchase. MPG's are similar to Suburban so we don't feel the pain of the gas bill. An Expy El was a great choice for us.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:07 PM
SickPup404
Junior User
OK, I can't speak for the Excursion (never been in one), but here's what we have:

2007 Expedition EL Limited 4x4
3rd row power fold seat
Roll stability control
P275/55R20 - was almost $1400 for a new set of Michelins last fall
Second row captains chairs
Backup sensor - integrated with the bumper facia, no little circles or dots
Trailer tow package
AM/FM/Sirius/CD/Nav
Load leveling suspension
Rear seat DVD
Power liftgate

My thoughts:
The back cargo area has a divider that can be an elevated shelf - good for groceries or small packages. It can fold flat into the floor.
Two small storage compartments under the back floor, one for jack, another is good for receiver hitches, tow straps, jumper cables, windshield scrapers, etc.
With the tow package, ours came with both 4- and 7-pin trailer connections, as well as the pig tails for a brake controller.
Cargo area is 48" wide.
There is easily 24" between the top most part of the third row seat (closest to the back) and the back gate with the sea up.
There is about 34" of vertical clearance - more once inside the rear door.
Once you fold the third row down, there's about 60" of cargo space (instead of 24").
Once you fold the second row (it goes flat to the floor), there's about 96". You can easily fit 4'x8' sheets of anything in there.
The motor generally doesn't "pin you back" to the seat, even under hard acceleration. Others have said the tranny "learns" your driving style and to pull the battery connections for about 30 minutes to reset it and it would improve - haven't tried it.
With RSC, on/off ramps can be held fine - not the outrageous body roll you see in other large SUVs.
It has a 33.5 gallon tank. Where we live, gas pumps cut off at $75 and you have to swipe again. If you let it get down to "E", you're gonna swipe twice.
Occasionally, gas pumps don't cut off correctly and you get splash back from the filler when pumping. Just keep it pushed in well and any splashes are usually contained. We've had ours for about 12-18 months and it's happened to me about 5 times.
2008 was the first year with Sync available as far as I know.
Our captains seats are nice, but I'm thinking of getting the 40/20/40 bench for an upcoming road trip with 4 adults, 2 teens, and a toddler car seat.
Apparently, 2007/2008 (at least) shared seats.
Also, 2007/2008 Navigators have a rear DVD storage console. Looking for one of them to put in when I have the captiains chairs in.
When the wife and I went to Carmax, we were looking at the Expy and Tahoe side by side, and there was no comparison for us - the Expy looked "classier" like we could go out to dinner dressed up in it.

I can email pics if you like, just PM me.

If you can get the VIN, pop it in the end of this web address and it will pull the window sticker so you can see exactly what is has from the factory:
Untitled Page

Please let me know if yuo have any questions!
Sick

Old 08-01-2011, 12:05 AM
homepukes
Senior User
Just posted this but I'll repost it here again. We are very happy with ours and would recommend anyone with the need to get an Expedition. Ford hit a homerun with this vehicle.

Bought our 2007 EB EL new in May of 2007. Just rolled 55,000 miles. Had a few minor problems covered under warranty. Did not purchase extended warranty. Currenlty have two problems: driver's seat will not go back and forth but all other adjustments work (this happened under warranty too and was repaired) and twice the A/C has just quit working on extended trips. After shutting the engine off then back on the A/C works fine so it must be a sensor issue.

Had a 2000 Expedition that we leased for three years. Had major electrical issues and was glad to turn in all the problems at the end of the lease. We swore never to own another Ford again (this was our first Ford.) I had always been a big GM fan. In 2005 I decided to get a pick up truck. Who ever was designing vehicles at GM and I had a difference of opinion on what made a good looking vehicle. I hated the looks of the Chevy and GMC trucks. So I leased an F250. At the end of the two year lease we went to turn it in and my wife wanted to look at the Expeditions since we had already been looking at Yukons. The price was much better on a fully loaded Expedition than a fully loaded Yukon. We drove one and really liked it. We decided to lease one in case we had problems we could just turn it in at the end of the lease. Well, at the end of the lease we just decided to buy it since it had been a good vehicle.

We wouldn't have anything but an EL. You can pack it full of people and their luggage. Without an EL we would be putting stuff on top of the vehicle. Would I buy one again? Yes, with two kids it is a great travel vehicle. My wife uses it for Real Estate also. She is a lead foot and gets 12.5mpg in the city. We just made a summer vacation 800 mile trip and got 18.5mpg with me driving like a granny. I have never seen 19 like some people are talking about. I wonder if there is a performance chip made for the Expedition?

We plan to keep it until my son gets out of high school, which is 5 more years. I added a back up camera. We have the 20" wheels which I think really look good. We also have navigation which does a pretty good job. Turning radius is impressive and it's easy to park. Wife still tells me she loves this vehicle even after 4 years and 55,000 miles. I would highly recommend one for any person who needs a large SUV. I would love to see a diesel version. Since there is no longer an Excursion there is a void that needs to be filled.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:39 PM
nebmike
Senior User
I just traded out of a loaded '07 EB EL w/ 65k on it. LOVED it. Before that I had an '05 Excursion -- and while the EL is big, there is a definite space difference going to the Expy. I carry a lot of gear with me all the time and have it arranged in a specific way, so the comparison was striking in the space difference.

The only problem I ever had with it was the sunroof came off the track and needed work (almost $2000 worth -- which covered the cost I paid for the extended warranty). Well, that is if you dont count the fact that the fuel pump quit when I parked it at the dealership the night I traded it in -- dealer went out to start it after we finished the paperwork and it wouldnt start. I lucked out on that one, I guess! :-)

As I said, I really liked the EL and I would own another in a heartbeat. My only real gripe with it is the 10" gap that is created when you fold down both the 2nd and 3rd row seats. At least in the Excursion there was a flap that coverd the gap so you had a solid/flat surface from the bumper to the front seats.

The 5.4 engine is strong in these trucks (far better than in the older model Expy's). I used it to tow a couple different 30' travel trailers and it worked great for that purpose.

I would say if you exercise the usual due caution in picking out an '07, you ought be able to find yourself one that will give you a lot of great service. Mine ran (well if you dont count the failed fuel pump) and looked just as good the day I traded it as it did when I bought it.