1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

'97 fuel injector pump

Old 05-16-2011, 03:58 PM
fyerser
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'97 fuel injector pump

'97 powerstroke fuel injector pump, where can i find one online? The only ones i've found so far are for earlier models. Also, how hard is it to replace?

Old 05-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
ummmm....are you talking about a regular fuel pump?....under the turbo?

Old 05-16-2011, 04:25 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
Yep, are you talking a fuel pump like Ian said or high pressure oil pump? Cause that is all there is..

What are your problems?

Old 05-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Where'd ya go, fyerser? a pic is worth a 1000 words

Old 05-16-2011, 06:03 PM
fyerser
Freshman User
It's a truck i'm going to buy, they said it needed fuel injector pump. I was going to buy one if it's reasonable, and put on truck to make sure it fixes it before i buy it. If it don't, i'm sure i'll need it for something.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:21 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

are you sure it is a 97?...a PSD?...if it is not we can get you in the right place. We are here to help. have the VIN?
run it though here: Comprehensive Chevrolet, Saturn, GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Geo, Dodge, Plymouth, Jeep, Chrysler, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Truck, Mercedes VIN Decoder

Old 05-16-2011, 08:36 PM
fyerser
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Copedawg
are you sure it is a 97?...a PSD?
Yes it's a '97, 4dr, 7.3 psd, 5spd, why are you asking if i'm sure it's a '97?

Old 05-16-2011, 08:41 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
the reason they are riddling you with questions is because the powerstoke doesnt have an injection pump, the older diesels did like the IDI, we have a high pressure oil pump which rarley go out mind you and we have a fuel lift pump which are more common to go, BUT anything is possible

Old 05-16-2011, 08:44 PM
fyerser
Freshman User
What do each of those pumps do? When they go bad what are the effects?

Old 05-17-2011, 05:32 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Have you seen the truck? Can you get a picture of the motor? Can you run the VIN through the above link? Can you call the guy and confirm the needed part? If that is what he says it needs and it is a PSD, I would tell him I will do you the favor of giving you $500 for the vehicle. b/c he obviously doesn't know what he has.

Normally the fuel (or lift) pump will leak like a siv or wont fill the filter bowl or won't create enough pressure.

Understanding how the injectors work on the PowerStroke engine can help in diagnosing a concern with this engine. Older diesels used a hydraulic injection system in which fuel pressurized by the injection pump would actuate the injector. The drawback to this system is that any air which enters the fuel lines will affect the operation of the injectors, or even prevent them from operating. Also, the amount of fuel injected is dependent on the mechanical operation of the injection pump governor, which adjusts volume based on engine load/RPM. Gasoline engines with electronic injection use a pressurized fuel system and the computer varies the actuation of the injector based on input from various sensors in order to control the amount of fuel to the cylinders. Since gasoline engines have an ignition system to ignite the air/fuel mixture in the cylinders, fuel pressure only needs to be sufficient to supply the injectors and provide an adequate spray pattern to ensure efficient combustion. But a diesel engine uses heat from compression to ignite the air fuel mixture, and this high compression requires high injection pressures. What has been done on the PowerStroke is both of these systems are used in conjuntion with each other. Fuel is supplied to the injectors through fuel rails inside the cylinder heads. Also supplied to the injectors is high pressure engine oil. As the computer determines that a cylinder should fire it signals the Injector Driver Module.

The IDM sends a 110 volt pulse-width modulated signal to the injector solenoid. When the injector solenoid is actuated, it opens a poppet valve which allows high pressure oil to flow into the intensifier piston. The intensifier piston is forced down, pressurizing the fuel inside the injector. When fuel pressure inside the injector reaches approximatly 2700 psi, it causes the injector pintle to rise off its seat and fuel is injected into the cylinder from the nozzel. As long as the poppet valve is open and oil is flowing into the injector, fuel will be injected. The computer controls how long the injector solenoid is energized (pulse-width, or time on in milliseconds), but it also determines the pressure of the fuel being injected by controlling the pressure of the oil (IPR duty-cycle, or the percentage of time on vs. off--AKA dwell) in the cylinder heads. The computer determines this based on engine load and driver demand by monitoring various sensors. Since the cavity at the top of the intensifier piston is seven times the size of the fuel cavity at the bottom, fuel is injected at a pressure seven times that of the computer-controlled oil pressure--oil pressure 3000 psi = injected fuel pressure 21000 psi. Due to the high oil system pressures, the spring which closes the poppet valve once the injector solenoid is deactivated has to be very strong--and because of this, the solenoid needs to be 110 volts. Once the poppet valve is closed, spring pressure returns the injector to its normal state and the oil is exhausted into the valve cover area to return to the sump. Because of the nature of how this system operates, air in the fuel is not as great of a concern as air in the oil. The PowerStroke requires a special anti-foaming agent in its oil to prevent this aeration. Oils with an API service rating of CF-4 or CG-4 already have this agent, but it becomes depleated as the oil breaks down, so regular oil changes (3000-5000 miles depending on vehicle use) are necessary. The anti-foaming agent can also be depleated by interaction with some silicone sealers. Split-Shot OperationSplit-shot injectors were originally installed on 1996 and 97 model/year trucks with California emissions, and are used in engines from 98.5 on. These injectors prolong the injection time to decrease emissions without reducing power. Fuel is delivered to the injector (green) past a check valve in the same manner as in the standard injectors. As the intensifier piston is forced down the fuel is pressurized (orange) and the check ball (blue) is lifted off its seat and fuel injection begins. Cut into the piston is a land (yellow) which receives fuel through bleed holes (red) as it is pressurized. As the piston travels down the land aligns with a port in the injector. When this happens, pressure drops below the piston and the check bal reseats and injection is suspended. As the piston travels further, the port in the injector is covered and fuel injection recommences.

You will be tested on this later!

Old 05-17-2011, 06:23 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by fyerser
It's a truck i'm going to buy, they said it needed fuel injector pump. I was going to buy one if it's reasonable, and put on truck to make sure it fixes it before i buy it. If it don't, i'm sure i'll need it for something.
If 'they' said it needs an injector pump, 'they' don't know what the heck they're talking about. What is the truck doing that they came to that conclusion? Leaking fuel in the valley? No start condition?

Ian has got you covered on what the pumps do. Typically, it's the lift pump that goes bad, and can be replaced with all the associated fuel hoses for around $160 ish. Pretty simple repair for the average weekend wrench to tackle.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:52 AM
fyerser
Freshman User
The truck won't run. I haven't gone to look at it yet, but when i did, if it looked good, i was wanting to be able to tell him i would buy the part & install it, and if that fixed it, i would buy it. I'm in need of a HD p/u, his has 200k miles, for $2k. He claims the interior & body are excellent. But i know nothing about diesels(beyond farm tractors), and after reading CopeDawg's injector lesson, i'm thinking i may pass on this truck. I wouldn't mind risking $160 & an afternoon putting it on the truck to see if that fixed it, so i could buy it. I would put it on guided by a Haynes/Chilton manual, and pure luck.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:15 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by fyerser
The truck won't run. I haven't gone to look at it yet, but when i did, if it looked good, i was wanting to be able to tell him i would buy the part & install it, and if that fixed it, i would buy it. I'm in need of a HD p/u, his has 200k miles, for $2k. He claims the interior & body are excellent. But i know nothing about diesels(beyond farm tractors), and after reading CopeDawg's injector lesson, i'm thinking i may pass on this truck. I wouldn't mind risking $160 & an afternoon putting it on the truck to see if that fixed it, so i could buy it. I would put it on guided by a Haynes/Chilton manual, and pure luck.

Ian, do you see what have you done? !!

Old 05-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

fyerser, don't let the "lesson" scare you....the PSD is the way to go.
I understand what you are trying to do by throwing a part at it to see if it runs before you buy it but I feel like we are not see-ing eye to eye.

Please, PLEASE help us...so we can help you!

IF it is a 97 F250 diesel, It does NOT have a injector pump so PLEASE call him and confirm. I almost want to get the name and # from you so I can talk to him myself, lol.
Can you call him and get the VIN? If so PLEASE post it so we can see what you have/looking at.
Is it possible he means an 87?
Is it possible he put an older diesel in the 97 (I don't know why anyone would, though).
Can you ask him to find the part at a parts store online and send you the link (so you can post it here for us to look at).
As far as going with another truck...stick with the PSD OBS (Old Body Style in the 94.5-97). You have 24/7 tech help (from like a brazillion {tribute to "W"} people who have seen it all) right here! oh and here are some manuals for you just cause we like you, they are free of charge for today:
1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual
97-15A 7.3L DI Turbo Workshop Manual
and here is a cool site for ideas: http://pages.prodigy.net/stevebaz/_i...az/index3.html

Old 05-19-2011, 04:30 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

fyerser, where are ya, man?
What's the status?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '97 fuel injector pump