1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

A4wd Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 08:10 PM
boxcar_tommie22
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A4wd Light

well, guess what? a new switch did not fix my problem.. i just can't believe it

Old 03-27-2003, 01:50 PM
the4by4freek
Posting Guru
A4wd Light

Hey tommy, I just ordered a switch! Did yours work at all after you put the switch in? This seems to be a common problem with the 97 and 98 Expys. I can't believe that there is no one in here that can give us some more info on this problem! I have pulled the motor on the transfer case, have checked the sensors in the transfer case, checked the switch 4 times, and still no luck! The motor works fine engaging and disengaging. The 4hi works, the 4 lo works, no noises, nice and smooth! This just doesn't make any sense! I have even gone to a Tech site and they said it must be the motor, but in the transfer case there is 2WD, 4HI, and 4LO stamped in the case behind the motor. There is no position for A4WD. From my understanding, is works on a centrificull type of setup. What this means is that when the raer slips, the front is supposed to engage and compensate for it. It must be computer controlled. If anyone here has a <a href="http://www.motorhaven.com/">service manual</a> for the 97 or 98 please let us know how and where this system operates from and how. My CD is on the way, but I don't have it yet. As soon as it gets here this is the first thing that I'm gonna check! I called the dealership and asked them about it, and they said that I have checked everything else, so it must be the switch! But you are proof of that not working. Maybe we'll figure this thing out sometime soon!

Old 03-28-2003, 07:30 AM
boxcar_tommie22
Senior User
A4wd Light

hi 4by4 i found out that when i put the new switch in it worked, but when i turned the car off and started the car again the light still blinked i was told you have clear the error in the pc..so take to shop and have someone clear the error code...

Old 03-28-2003, 12:35 PM
lovemyexpy
Senior User
A4wd Light

If you want to remove the error code you can probably do so by disconnecting the battery for about 5 minutes. It's worked for me before.

Also, I had a similar problem on my 98. A4WD was OK, but when I put it into 4H the dash light would click back and forth between 4H and A4WD. I finally took it to the dealer (I hate doing that) and they diagnosed it as the 4WD engagement motor (they said the windings were shorting out). The motor alone was $250 (made in China of course). With labor and diagnostics it was over $400 for the fix. Anyway, from what I can tell it fixed the problem. I've had no problems for a couple of months now and test it as often as I can (snow convered streets or gravel parking lots mostly).

Old 03-28-2003, 04:10 PM
the4by4freek
Posting Guru
A4wd Light

Hey Tommy, I just checked with a Ford tech at another site, He said that you will in fact need to clear the codes before it will be fixed. The switch could be the problem, but untill you clear the codes it will still flash. Disconnect the battery for a few min and it should clear all codes. Also I was correct about the A4WD being a centrificul system, There are 2 speed sensors on the transfer case that sense the speed of the driveshafts and compensate with a ball ramp valve inside the transfer case. The motor has absolutely nothing to do with the A4WD setting. It only controls 2WD,4HI, an 4LO. This ball ramp valve gets a reading from the Electromagnetic sensors. When the rear spins faster than the front, the valve will engage and compensate until they spin at the same speed. We are on the right track, we just have to figure out what part of the system is malfunctioning! I wish that Damn manual was here! It was ordered over a week ago!

Old 03-28-2003, 08:12 PM
boxcar_tommie22
Senior User
A4wd Light

disconnecting the batt. doesn't clear error codes the shop has to via the computer

Old 03-29-2003, 11:11 AM
boxcar_tommie22
Senior User
A4wd Light

hi 4by4, i found today that the a4wd light is suppose to blink until when all 4 wheels are needed then the light will stop blinking to let you know that all 4 wheels are in use...the reason it is blinking is because only two wheel are driving then it stays lit when all the wheels are engaged

Old 03-29-2003, 03:28 PM
the4by4freek
Posting Guru
A4wd Light

Hey Tommy...... Where did you find that info? I was stuck in the mud and switched to A4WD, the rear wheels were spinning like crazy and the front never would engage! I put it in 4 hi and no problem. I still don't think that the light is supposed to flash in A4WD, every other mode comes on and stays on, so it just wouldn't make any sense why that mode would flash. Just thought you might find this interesting!

Old 03-29-2003, 04:04 PM
boxcar_tommie22
Senior User
A4wd Light

they have on sat here in denver car show with all kinds of mechanics from the area they had a 4x4 shop today and hi performance ford mech....he told me this on the radio when i called in...how did you know your fronts were not turning?was there someone outside looking?

Old 03-30-2003, 08:55 AM
the4by4freek
Posting Guru
A4wd Light

Tommy, if the front would have turned I would have come right out of the mud! I locked it in 4 HI and came right out! The front never did engage and the light just kept blinking!

Old 03-30-2003, 11:57 PM
jettfuel
Junior User
A4wd Light

Hey guys,
I found the same thing on my '98 when I put it in AW4D. I noticed the light would stay on when I was on the gas but blink when I was coasting or cruising. This would go along with the theory that the front is only connected when the rear looses traction. I could hear the switch "click" when the light would blink on and off. One good place to check with would be www.racecardynamics.com , they are the manufacturers of the RCD suspension line. They also are in contact with the Border Patrol agency that uses the Expeditions exclusively now. These guys know their stuff when it comes to suspension, I am sure they could answer a few question or at least steer you in the right direction. If you get ahold of the service manual on CD-Rom, I would be interested in a copy if it is good info. Good luck and keep us informed.

Old 04-01-2003, 04:04 PM
boxcar_tommie22
Senior User
A4wd Light

hi 4by4 any more info.?.this shop is going to look at these bulletins on the expedition and explorer about this perticular subject..he seems to remember that alot of the expy's got an updated harness and thus work as such..i will let you know..there might not be anything wrong.
did you have your expy scaned? did it show anything wrong?

Old 04-01-2003, 04:31 PM
the4by4freek
Posting Guru
A4wd Light

Hey Tommy, I didn't find anyting out. I did take another 97 Expy out for a ride, and the light stayed on solid. Just for kicks and giggles, I took mine into a gravel parking lot, switched into A4WD and put the hammer down. I did nothing but spin in a circle! No front wheel engagement whatsoever! So I guess it's screwed! I have not had it scanned, this is gonna be my only result I'm afraid. I have and can fix just about anything, ............ Except this damn feature on this vehicle! I'll keep digging, Let me know how you make out!

Old 04-07-2003, 06:25 PM
2Gordons
Freshman User
A4wd Light

Hey All:

I, too have a '98 EB 5.4 that has the flashing AWD light. Today we were blessed with all of that snow in the upper midwest- so I got the chance to see if the AWD was engaging.

It is not. No traction in the AWD. Clicking into 4 High locks it up solid... good traction.

I'll be watching this thread with interest. I'll check with the local dealer to see if anything is known.

2Gordons

Old 04-07-2003, 08:14 PM
lovemyexpy
Senior User
A4wd Light

FYI, I've got a 98 5.4L Expy and I'm personally not buying the A4WD is supposed to blink when not engaged story. How rediculous would that be? I know mine works and it certainly doesn't blink at any time. It's just hard to believe they would design in a feature like that.

Quick Reply: A4wd Light