Which diesel for first time project?

Old 05-09-2011, 07:41 PM
fattmann
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which diesel for first time project?

Currently looking to pick up a cheap diesel truck off local Craigslist for about $1000. Came across two trucks that I was trying to decide on, wanted to get some expert input on such matters.

Came across a 1990 F250 w/ 7.3l IDI (pretty sure it's IDI..), and a 1984 Chevy with 6.2l (i know a Chebby, hear me out.)

Currently in that whole 'college student trying to save money in the summer' thing. I've been reading up on diesel/biodiesel/WVO stuff for a few years now, and just never pulled the trigger. I'm leaning towards the Ford. But didn't know how accurate my thoughts were:

7.3l- Stronger pump, will handle the viscosity of the VO much better and not snap in half, have heard not nearly as good of mileage.

6.2l- Read that it gets better mileage, but pump is weaker (converse of the Ford), they want like $1500 for it.

This wasn't going to be a big fancy overhaul. Was going run Tank one on Dino, then tank two on VO. Figured I would install a tank heater on tank 2, and a heat exchanger under the hood to keep the viscosity down.

Would i need anything crazier than that? Thinking like Max 1500-1750 into the project.

Looking for thoughts and criticisms.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You know most of us here are going to say go Ford, but even so the 7.3 is a darn good engine. I just don't here of the 6.2 racking up the miles like the Ford will...

Old 05-19-2011, 12:05 AM
homelessrdp
Freshman User
FORD is what i would pick

Old 05-19-2011, 04:51 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,140 Posts
In your climate you are asking for headaches with your planned 'VO conversion'. The 6.2 is a disposable turd - the only good thing is they are simple and cheap to replace.

Get the 7.3 and read my last post in this section - your conversion is very similar to what I described there. If you'll spend $500-1000, depending on how resourceful you are - you will have a true VO 'conversion' that will allow you to run 100% VO (after warm-up) in ANY climate. Factor in ya won't be on the side of the hwy dicking with your horribly 'improvised' modifications and you'll be waaaaay ahead of the game. Do the math - diesel is right at $4/gal right now, you only have to save 250 gallons of diesel to justify 'doing it right'!!!! How long will that take you??

I have a friend here in Tulsa where I'm working who just finished a DIY conversion on a 7.3 IDI. I haven't seen it yet, but it sounds really, really nice/well done. I'll ask how much he spent as soon as I talk to him again and may post some pics here when I get over to see it!

I always say, 'Please choose wisely - or post pics of the carnage!'.

Reasons NOT to use 2nd tank for WVO
- if the tank is steel, the VO will polymerize in the tank leaving nasty 'chicken-skin' deposits that will contaminate your whole fuel system
- the stock Pollak switching valve tends to have a short life in VO service
- by using the stock (Pollak) 6way tank switching valve, you will gradually add more and more VO to the diesel tank - every time you switch back to diesel
- sending VO that is not HOT (160*+) to the injectors will lead to carbon build-up/coking in the combustion chamber and downstream of the exhaust valves
- your factory filter does NOT LIKE WVO and will be a constant source of problems
- by putting VO and diesel thru the same filter, you insure the VO is NEVER fully flushed from the IP and injectors. The VO will polymerize and kill the IP eventually
- the VO in the diesel tank has a tendency to separate from the diesel and ends up in the bottom of the tank, right where the fuel pick-up is. You'll be starting your cold engine on cold VO (well, since ya never got all the VO out of filter - you'll be doing this anyway

I gotta go - but there are more reasons not to make this mistake!!

Old 08-01-2011, 08:05 AM
muns53
Freshman User
7.3 all the way! One of the most grease-friendly and bio-friendly engines you can buy.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Marianna2003
Elder User
The pumps are the same internally. drives are different. Like everyone is saying go with the Ford.