Join Chapter, Leader: sky Cowboy

BC Propane Info - please share

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 12:53 AM
four-sixty-power
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
BC Propane Info - please share

Please educate newbies to propane, like me!
Propane is half the price of gasoline, we need to know this stuff!

Where are the good shops that know how to work on the propane systems for our trucks? Good experiences, bad experiences, things to ask, maintenance?

Do most gas stations have propane available? I think they do but not too sure.

Should there be any propane smell when the truck is just sitting, is there a relief valve for hotter temperatures?

When did the new propane filling valve become mandatory? and how to tell if I have the newer one? Is it BC-only or Canada/US-wide?

Places in BC that do not have propane, small towns, backcountry, where we do not want to be stuck?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by four-sixty-power; 05-08-2011 at 01:01 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 05-12-2011, 09:50 AM
fraso
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by four-sixty-power
Where are the good shops that know how to work on the propane systems for our trucks? Good experiences, bad experiences, things to ask, maintenance?
  • British Columbia Propane Conversion Centres
  • Ask what kind of system they would install for you. Also ask if you could do some of the work to save on installation labour.
  • Propane systems usually require very little maintenance. You do need to keep the ignition and cooling system in top condition though.

Do most gas stations have propane available? I think they do but not too sure.
  • Most gas stations do not sell propane motor fuel and you can tell which do because they'll have a motor fuel dispenser (looks like a gasoline pump) beside the big propane cylinder.
  • The price can vary greatly from station to station so shop around.
  • See AltFuelPrices.com.

Should there be any propane smell when the truck is just sitting, is there a relief valve for hotter temperatures?
  • Nope. If you smell propane, you've got a leak.
  • Luckily, a leak is usually easy to fix.
  • The relief valve on the tank should never blow-off in normal ambient temperatures. If you've over-filled it, then theoretically it's possible.

When did the new propane filling valve become mandatory? and how to tell if I have the newer one? Is it BC-only or Canada/US-wide?
  • If you mean the auto-stop fill valve, it's been around for a long time. Often, if your vehicle has one, there won't be a spit valve (liquid level gauge) beside the fill valve.
  • I'm not sure about the USA but CSA B149.5 (Canadian Reg) requires it.

Places in BC that do not have propane, small towns, backcountry, where we do not want to be stuck?
  • If you're going to travel to places that don't have propane, maybe a dual fuel system would be better for you.
  • If you want to go straight propane, you should consider installing a large cylinder in the bed that will give you plenty of range.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:43 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank's for the thread ,,I have propain on my 79 Bronco..and am slowly learning things about it..like you ALWAYS have antifreeze in the system..never trust you gonna make it to the next propaine station.....i always carry a cheeter hose and bbq tank..it works great ..costs less to feed my 428 then my diesel ..the oil never gets dirty....now ..how do I get it to work with a turbo???

Old 05-13-2011, 07:30 AM
fraso
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Blow-through set-ups are simple with Impco systems on V8 engines. The converter must be boost-referenced and this is done by connecting the balance port on the mixer's air horn to the vent port on the converter. It's a good idea to do this on NA engines too because referencing the converter to the mixer also compensates for dirty air filters, which keeps the fuel mixture constant at all times (once the engine is warmed up).

The problem with Impco mixers and converter is that they were never designed for high levels of boost. Once you get above about 8 psi, they start to leak.

Keeping the cooling system in good condition (including regular flush & fills) is important preventive maintenance for any engine, regardless of fuel.

How much is propane selling for out your way?

How big the tank in the 79 Bronco?

Old 05-17-2011, 12:52 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
had to check the price on pro pain ...80.9 cents a liter...and the tank size is about 75 bucks to fill ...but that was a while ago ..the bronco is parked till I can fix the posi or get a locker in the rear..the truck has blown one posi apart and smoked the second in less then 1500 miles...couldn't be operator error ..could it??

Old 06-19-2011, 09:25 PM
four-sixty-power
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I learn something new all the time! If you go to gas station websites they have station/fuel locators:

Petro-Canada

MyHusky.ca | Station Locator

Super Save Group Of Companies

looks like Shell does not sell propane but I only had a quick look through their site

just a few for now, may post more later if someone else does not beat me to it