6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2006 F350 6.0 crazy problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 08:42 PM
bazeven2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 F350 6.0 crazy problems

I'm experiencing some crazy issues, and wondering if it's maybe not my service department. Quick synopsis:

Purchased a 2006 F350 last summer with 45k miles (still under warranty)
Drove the truck from Florida to Minnesota with 0 issues
Took it to the service dept for a once over to make sure all was good
Had some minor engine items replaced under warranty (injectors, etc)
Was told that the computer was not programmed for this truck, and they reprogrammed it and flashed it to the latest update (Aug '10) Truck wouldn't start...
Was told there was an issue with the ECM and that it was the incorrect one for the truck. BUT the sticker on the side of the ECM was the correct part #. Could still not program it... They ordered a new ECM, installed it, put on the Aug '10 firmware, and the truck ran.
Didn't notice, but was told that I had the wrong gauge cluster in the truck. Interestingly, that was the only Ford warranty item done prior to me buying the truck. The fuel gauge wasn't reading correctly at 5k miles, so the dealer in Florida changed the cluster. Problem is, they put in a Gas cluster. Had the cluster replaced under warranty since it was a Ford dealer mistake.
Once the cluster was replaced, it now has an ABS light on.
Ford Service Dept reads the code and it is B2900 - VIN Mismatch.
Tech is having problems getting the proper VIN # programmed into the computer. Does the VIN need to be programmed into the ABS module?
They want to charge me not only for additional diag time, but also reprogramming time to flash it to the latest 2011 software.

Am I getting taken from the service dept? Seems that if the VIN number won't go into the computer, that it is something that should be taken care of under my engine warranty.

Does anyone know if the ABS, the computer, and the Gauge Cluster all get a VIN # inputted into them? Are there additional items that have to get a VIN # programmed into them? Why would the ABS light come up with a diag of "VIN Mismatch - B2900"?

Any thoughts besides take it to a new service dept and see what they will do?

HELP please. I have another service appt set up for Thursday, and if I'm not being treated correctly, I want to cut my losses now!

Thanks.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:05 AM
Jasonszion
Junior User
Dude you need to hop on down to the 6.0 forum... You will probably find more help there

Old 05-02-2011, 07:48 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel forum.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:47 PM
rdunagan
Posting Guru
just bumping. this is way over my head something for cheezit, mchan, bismic, partsman. someone help the guy this is crazy

Old 05-03-2011, 12:31 AM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bumping too. This sounds interesting but I would guess a bad service dept.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:04 AM
Shawns Fords
Senior User
From what I can see it looks like the information did not get retrieved properly before the updates were installed. I see this a lot more often with the dodges than the fords (I work at a Ford, dodge, Jeep Dealer) but the program needs to be downloaded before updated and parts change is performed. then the original program along with the updates is installed into the new products. Thats why its not reading the vin. I hope that helps.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:49 PM
rdunagan
Posting Guru
bumping again someone needs to get a tech on this to help the guy out.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:00 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The wrong gauge cluster and wrong PCM programming almost makes me think somebody converted a gasser to a diesel. That or it was stripped and they didn't put the correct parts back on. Sounds like a mess.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:21 PM
bazeven2
New User
45k miles and the VIN #'s match and show Diesel. Wrong gauge cluster was put in under warranty. Maybe the only one they had in stock, or the wrong one in the box? From what some others have said, it sounds like if the batteries go dead, it can take out the VIN from the ABS module. I'll report back here on Thursday, hopefully with some good news! Thanks guys!

Old 05-03-2011, 03:42 PM
rdunagan
Posting Guru
my batteries have both taken a crap and my abs didnt wipe out. i know the memory in the pcm goes but not the pcm its self or the abs thing

Old 05-03-2011, 04:03 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 983 Posts
If you bought it from a FORD dealer...it's their problem.....you bought it in good faith! They should have sold it in good faith! Tell them you want your $ back or make it right!

Imagine your state's Attorney Generals Office might like to hear from you. (They protect consumers).

Old 05-03-2011, 05:09 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by bazeven2
Does anyone know if the ABS, the computer, and the Gauge Cluster all get a VIN # inputted into them? Are there additional items that have to get a VIN # programmed into them? Why would the ABS light come up with a diag of "VIN Mismatch - B2900"?
Now a days all these vehicles have their computers (modules) connected to a CAN, that's a Controller Area Network so that they can share data between them. Each computer has to know what the id is of each other computer so it knows what data it is getting off the BUS.

So as Shawn said, the correct way to swap out a module is to first dump its software onto the NGS, then remove the old module, install the new module, and then reload its original software. That way none of the computers think anything has been changed.

Batteries going dead should have no effect on the each computers id or software as it is stored in the computers non-volitle memory.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Shawns Fords
Senior User
Originally Posted by pdqford
Now a days all these vehicles have their computers (modules) connected to a CAN, that's a Controller Area Network so that they can share data between them. Each computer has to know what the id is of each other computer so it knows what data it is getting off the BUS.

So as Shawn said, the correct way to swap out a module is to first dump its software onto the NGS, then remove the old module, install the new module, and then reload its original software. That way none of the computers think anything has been changed.

Batteries going dead should have no effect on the each computers id or software as it is stored in the computers non-volitle memory.
Yup, back in the old days you had to get the Calibration code off of the vehicles door in order to get the correct parts, now instead of having already programmed components, they let the tech do the work and pay him less $$$

Old 05-04-2011, 06:05 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,382 Likes on 2,081 Posts
Have to see if we can get cheezit in here to help you out.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Shawns Fords
Senior User
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Have to see if we can get cheezit in here to help you out.
looks like We already did

Quick Reply: 2006 F350 6.0 crazy problems