534 in 1970 f350 cab chassis

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 03:53 PM
lrd56
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 534 in 1970 f350 cab chassis

i have a 1970 f350 that is a cab chassis that used to be a motorhome.
it has a 360 in it .if i can find a 534 with a allison trans how much work would it be to put it in the 1970 cab chassis.im going to put in a disc brake front end in it to handle any extra weight .the f350 has a 4.10 with 8r19.5 tires.where i live in mohave county there arent many old ford parts.
lrd56

Old 04-22-2011, 12:24 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,292 Posts
If you have to ask the question....

Seriously, you got the best answer here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10212521

You could even build the 360 into a 445. With mild compression and the right cam in that engine, it would drink gas like a 401, but have more power than the 534.

As for your plan to tow a 53 foot, 18000 pound trailer with this thing, well, I hope you have at least $2million in liability insurance.

Regardless of all the stuff you've attached to that F350 frame, it's still an F350 frame.

Must be a full moon again. Ever get this resolved?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...96-ranger.html
With the economy the way it is, there are lots of running medium duty trucks that would do the job SAFELY.

Knock yourself out if you must....

Last edited by 85e150; 04-22-2011 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Something looked familiar....
Old 04-22-2011, 07:25 PM
lrd56
Elder User
Smile thanks for the info

thanks for the info.your right about the heavy trailer.im moving to washington to be near my sister.and i have to move my 96 ranger.my vw rabbit diesel.and my 31 ft 5th wheel ..why would ford put in 13 leaf springs on each side of the rear axle and put dually wheels with 159 inch wheelbase and still call it a f350..would using a 5 speed truck transmission and a 3 speed brownie help ..
i like 391ft motors and 4 speed allison transmissions.out of ford school busses.but i havent seen any of them in a long time.years ago i put a 391ft and 4 speed allison in a 71 f250 camper special and it hauled a lot of heavy loads for me.
sorry for all the questions im just trying to make the the right decison.
ford calls my truck a camper special cab chassis .what company would do that much work on this chassis and put a engine with 170hp at 4100rpm and expect it to carry a very heavy motorhome body on it.and hopefully go faster than 50mph.sounds like they put in the 360 so if you wanted a better engine you bought a 390 and put the 360 in a f100.

lrd56
im not trying to sound stupid it just doesent make sense.i put on the disc brake front suspension to have better brakes.i put on the 8r19.5s to get away from the 16s that it had .
how much torque would that 360 turned int a 445 have and at what rpm.ive always been told its torque and gears not hp that does the work

Old 04-22-2011, 07:38 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
EDIT:
Was composing my post when I read your second post. I'd rent a suitable truck and/or see who does interstate RV hauling. Lots of folks with modern trucks can haul your fifth wheel for you.

You don't need to build a truck for the job. The purpose being to move the fifth wheel, pay someone to do that and drive whichever you want to keep (VW or Ranger) and ditch the other to pay for the move. Cars and trucks are disposable consumer goods.

If your truck breaks on the way, the heavy wrecker fees can EASILY be higher than what you own is worth. It would be a drag to lose your home or have it sit for weeks accumulating storage bills in an impound lot because you chose to drive ghetto junk and had a malfunction.

why would ford put in 13 leaf springs on each side of the rear axle and put dually wheels with 159 inch wheelbase and still call it a f350.
Because motorhomes don't weigh a whole lot and duals are more anti-sway than anything else. Motor homes are like fat chicks. Big doesn't mean Strong.

i put a 391ft and 4 speed allison in a 71 f250 camper special and it hauled a lot of heavy loads for me.
Hauling /= "stopping loaded on a steep grade under maximum braking with a trailer in tow".

My '76 F-350 460/C6 wrecker will PULL most anything I might want to. That doesn't make it a Medium Duty vehicle because everything but the engine and trans is still light duty.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:11 AM
lrd56
Elder User
Smile too exspensive to have stuff moved

to have our 5th wheel moved from arizona to washington would cost 1500.00.00.as for the vw rabbit and the ranger i took them to a smog shop in california and they said they both would pass smog in washington.we are buying 20 acres and need a heavy duty truck.any vehicle that is registered in washington that doesnt come from the dessert is a high priced rusted out piece of junk.my wife is in a wheelchair and both the rabbit pickup and the ranger are equiped with wheelchair lifts
.im thinking of putting the rabbit pickup on the f350 and using a friends 40 ft bumper pull cargo trailer.to carry the ranger and our personal stuff..i
have a 4bbl manifold from a 390 and a 500 cfm holley and headers with header mufflers.would it be wise to take a chance on putting these parts on my 360...
thank you
lrd56
there are some us that cant afford anything but ghetto junk .we live on social security and disability.if that makes us ghetto people then so be it.have you always had lots of money.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:18 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
the 390 parts will work with the 360

Old 04-24-2011, 08:57 AM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
A Rabbit on the 350 pulling a cargo trailer (with good trailer brakes!) with the Ranger and not overloaded with other stuff is in routine F-350 hauling range. I'd make very sure the brakes are in top shape. Replacement F-350 brake hoses are cheap, and blowing one off will be no fun.

Make it look neat (weigh it loaded if possible) because DOT can put anyone (commercial tags or not) on the scales and you don't want to go out of service for overweight.

Since you are going to do this anyway, have the Rabbit as far forward as possible to keep weight on the front wheels of the F350. Test braking and steering on some open roads near you before leaving.

If the front end ends up light, you can do what big and small wrecker owners do and bolt a FAT counterweight up front. Push bumpers are a popular place, but a bracket between the rails (and out of range of all steering components in all steering positions)
out of at least 1/4" thick steel plate is used by folks who don't want to mod their bumper. It needs to be as far forward as possible for leverage. Find a large hunk of plate steel, weld it on, and if needed add more weight to keep the front end from dancing.

I put small Holleys on all my FE motors. They work fine.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:26 PM
lrd56
Elder User
Smile i like the info

i have a 69 olds with a 6 speed allison if i put it in a wooden crate to make it look neat and put it as close to the cab as possible. then put the rabbit front end against the crate ..if i could find the parts to convert the f350 from a auto to a old style 5 speed heavy duty with a 3 speed brownie.would that give me enough gears so i dont have to push the 360 so hard .
i know its a lot of questions but i dont know where else to go for the answers.
thank you
lrd56

Old 04-24-2011, 02:17 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
I'd actually TEST the rig before tearing everything apart in a frenzy of trying to improve it first.

Use it for a while pulling heavy stuff to see how it behaves. Throwing parts around is a good way to add problems.

What parts do you OWN, NOW, without spending money? Is the Olds with an Allison a big block? Is it a good runner (and if not, why save it?).

One of my friends is a self-taught mechanic and ham operator. Technically smart, but trapped by his junk collection. He doesn't finish anything and stays poor because he will not focus on quality completion of a project and send the rest to the shredder. He tries to make oddball stuff work but doesn't consider the amount of time (time IS money) it burns. He can't afford to finish anything because he compulsively waits to find all the right parts for free. He's doomed to be poor forever.

Don't be that guy, and do NOT fill the trailer with a bunch of old iron. Just the Ranger and LIGHT items. Tails wag dogs when that happens, and the laws of physics don't care about our scrap collections. The secret to having good stuff is turnover, and not spending more time serving your stuff than it spends serving YOU.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:10 PM
lrd56
Elder User
Smile the 455 olds is a big block

yes its a big block motorhome engine .the 6 speed mt40 allison is a heavy duty trans.i borrowed a friends 35 ft trailer and put on 10000lbs of scrap steel.i delivered the load and on the way home the engine put a rod thru the block.so much for testing the 360.now i have to use the 455 olds and 6speed allison .the 455 makes 375 hp and 420ft lbs of torque.i figured out how much weight that im going to be hauling.its about 18000lbs.the f350 with the olds and the allison should weigh about 7000lbs.that means that i cant carry the rabbit on the back of the f350 .

Old 04-24-2011, 03:38 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,292 Posts
Originally Posted by lrd56
yes its a big block motorhome engine .it only has 75000 miles.to me its worth keeping.the allison trans works good also.why do you think that 170 hp no guts 360 that never has been rebuilt will pull 8000lbs to 12000lbs.
lrd56
Just to pile on:

--a 1969 OLDS big block motor home engine. At what future point will this be worth more than it's worth today? Ditto the Allison.

Sell it:

455 olds engine | eBay

The 360, if operating properly, will pull that amount all day. Slowly. Which is a good thing. You are only going what, 1500 miles max?

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-24-2011, 03:52 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
You don't need guts to get there, just survival. That's about steering and stopping more than anything else.

A 292 Chevy six will pull a 1600 Loadstar 40 pax school bus. My other not-sane buddy did it with a C-30 wrecker (stupid even on flat ground) but the ENGINE wasn't a problem. I know the bus scaled at 10,000lbs empty because it used to be mine. Plenty of log trucks used six bangers and small 8's.
All the engine needs to do is be reliable. It is or it isn't

to me its worth keeping
Then STICK IT IN YOUR RIG and use it if you must save the thing.
It won't gain interest being yard art. BIG MOTOR GOOD, not being used anywhere else. Scrap the 360 instead. You save several hundred pounds when the Mopar turns into working weight instead of dead weight, and gain load space when you leave the 360 behind.

Let us know how this all works out. I can use a laugh.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:29 PM
lrd56
Elder User
Smile more miles than you think.

its 2300 miles.also i tested the f350 with a trailer load of scrap steel.10000lbs at 45 mph all the way then on the way home at 45mph the 360 put a rod thru the block.yes the oil was full.yes the rad was full .new thermostat.on the way the motor sounded good .then went to hell.so much for my 360 being a good engine .so at 45 mph how many 360s do i have to buy.to get to washington.i looked at several sites selling rebuilt engines.the cheapest price was 1200.00.plus freight.at the slowest reasonable speed.i wonder how many tickets i wiil get or be taken out of service. im thinking that in order to go up a 6 percent grade hill i will have to go to low gear then put the pedal all the way down to the floor just to do 5 mph .at 5mph or 45 mph its going to take a long time to get there.as for the olds and 6 speed it makes sense to put in the olds and 6 speed for more power and torque .more weight on the front end.just temporaly until i get rich so i can afford a high hp and a high torque bored out 460 .to get max power.im thinkiing th3 f350 need 600hp and 600ft lbs torque at least .i dont want to have to put the pedal all the way down just to do 45..i have been told that in the states im going thru its not legal to do 45 .it called impeding traffic.the first ticket cost 500.00 after that it doubles and so on.this info was given to me by law enforcement .
in california and oregon and washington.so if i have to buy another 360 im going to have to put the pedal all the way down to the floor just to go 45-55.im not trying to run a race but we cant stop for food or sleep.
the alliso 6 speed also has a trans brake that is run by a cable they call it a retarder.im going to put in a manual pedal setup and hook the cable to the clutch pedal .4th drive in the allison is 3rd4th5th6th gear the retarder shifts the allison down to 2nd drive which is 1st2nd 3rd..
by the way a oldsmobile 455 is not a moparts. .
lrd56

Old 04-26-2011, 04:20 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lrd56
its 2300 miles.also i tested the f350 with a trailer load of scrap steel.10000lbs at 45 mph all the way then on the way home at 45mph the 360 put a rod thru the block.yes the oil was full.yes the rad was full .new thermostat.on the way the motor sounded good .then went to hell.so much for my 360 being a good engine .so at 45 mph how many 360s do i have to buy.to get to washington.i looked at several sites selling rebuilt engines.the cheapest price was 1200.00.plus freight.at the slowest reasonable speed.i wonder how many tickets i wiil get or be taken out of service. im thinking that in order to go up a 6 percent grade hill i will have to go to low gear then put the pedal all the way down to the floor just to do 5 mph .at 5mph or 45 mph its going to take a long time to get there.as for the olds and 6 speed it makes sense to put in the olds and 6 speed for more power and torque .more weight on the front end.just temporaly until i get rich so i can afford a high hp and a high torque bored out 460 .to get max power.im thinkiing th3 f350 need 600hp and 600ft lbs torque at least .i dont want to have to put the pedal all the way down just to do 45..i have been told that in the states im going thru its not legal to do 45 .it called impeding traffic.the first ticket cost 500.00 after that it doubles and so on.this info was given to me by law enforcement .
in california and oregon and washington.so if i have to buy another 360 im going to have to put the pedal all the way down to the floor just to go 45-55.im not trying to run a race but we cant stop for food or sleep.
the alliso 6 speed also has a trans brake that is run by a cable they call it a retarder.im going to put in a manual pedal setup and hook the cable to the clutch pedal .4th drive in the allison is 3rd4th5th6th gear the retarder shifts the allison down to 2nd drive which is 1st2nd 3rd..
by the way a oldsmobile 455 is not a moparts.
lrd56
Born and raised WA state - the minimum speed limit is 45 mph on most state freeways. On hilll climbs you can be at 30 mph at times, without being ticketed IF you are in the right lane, four ways on and keeping up with the semi's. The SP understands that there is a limit to how fast X load is going to go uo a hill. Move over to the left lane(s) and you will be, and properly I might add, given a ticket. You are a danger at that point. Keep right except to pass is the LAW.

Well, considering I can roll down flat freeways at 60mph + in my loaded C600 with a 330 gas V-8 and MT40 Allison (was a MT30, it broke and was just replaced) at 28,000 lbs total, there is no way that your 360 was running right when all you could manage was 45 mph. Now if I come to a hill, I do slow down, just like other heavily loaded trucks do. If the hill is steep enough - NOT on the freeway (min speed 45 mph), you will find me in the right lane at 9-12 mph, flashers on and just chugging up the hill. I have never been stopped once by the police. But then I am NOT trying this on a Interstate that it sounds that you have 2300 miles of.

I have also run this truck down the freeway for jaunts of up to 100 miles with a partial load (16,000 lbs total) and had been able to manage that magical 45 mph number with the exception of one rather steeper hill, one that loaded semis also drop there speed down below the "min"

That is 60 + mph at 28,000 lbs with 186 hp, 276 ft lbs of torque. I would highly recommend that you get a proper running and performing 360 before you condem all of them. You might be suprised! FYI - the 330 that I have in my C600 was the optional BIGGER engine. The standard engine was a 300 six cylinder.

As to the Allison MT30/31, 40/41/42 series, the retarder DOES NOT drop the transmission a gear. The retarder restricts the hydralic fluid from the Torque converter to create a hydralic brake of sorts and heats the fluid up in the process, which requires a very large cooler to dispell the heat. Allsions with this feature all have a light on the dash that senses overly high fluid heats and alerts the driver to no longer use the retarter.

The shift on the MT 30/31, 40/41/42 series Allison use a shift quadrant with this shift patttern R, N, 3-6, 3-5, 3-4, 1-2 No park position and four forward drive ranges. The transmission is set up to start in 3rd gear, unless the 1-2 position is manualy selected (heavy load / mud / etc)

Remember also that unlike there lighter duty transmissions the Allison MT 30/31, 40/41/42 series use a lock up Torque converter which gives much better mileage than having a "open" TC.

I hope this helps, Best of luck with your travels!

David

Old 04-26-2011, 07:29 PM
lrd56
Elder User
Smile i dont think all 360s are bad

i just must of had a bad one ..i had a 77 b600 bus with a 330 and a 4 speed allison auto if i remember right they called it a transmatic.since i cant afford 1200.00 for a rebuilt 360 at this time .do you know where i can find a 330 or 361 or 391 that i can put in place of my bad 360 .i have
to fix this truck ..
thank you .im going to go up the california coast all the way up the oregon coast.then go up the washington coast to port angeles.its longer but i hope it might be easier.we have relatives on the way .our relatives have truck repair shops and tow trucks.and motels.and food places.so if we get in trouble all we have to do make a phone call.our relatives said if we make a effort to get as far as possible on our oun they will help.the ft motors that i really like are the ones with 4bb carb and goveners..a 330 has superior hp and torque than a 360 .i dont think any of this is funny .but if you do that tells me a lot about some of you .i have to take life seriusely because i have been taking care of my handicapped wife for 32 years and i am 2 years from being in a wheelchair myself .
have a good day
lrd56

if i sold the the 455 i wouldnt get enough money to buy a worn out 300 six or a 360 with a million miles on it or any other worn out engine ..
i cant do ebay or paypal..

lrd56

Quick Reply: 534 in 1970 f350 cab chassis