Sponsored by: Moser

Q jet intake for FE?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 08:54 PM
supercabfreak
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q jet intake for FE?

hey guys i just got done with a Q jet conversion on my 360 in the 76 today, love it or hate it it's here to stay. what i need to know is do any of yall know where i can find a intake manifold for a 360/390 that is set up for a spreadbore Qjet. i know ford used the Qjet on one of the 429 motors in 69/70 but i dont have the cash to get one of the origonals.

ive searched eddlebrock and jegs but didnt find what i was looking for any help is apreciated

Old 04-15-2011, 09:57 PM
lance65
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have never seen an intake for the FE w/ Q-Jet. You have to use an adapter. I happen to have a Q-Jet 460 intake from a '74 Mercury. I was going to do a TBI on it using the TBI adapter from a big block chevy suburban...bolt right on.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:33 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by supercabfreak
what i need to know is do any of yall know where i can find a intake manifold for a 360/390 that is set up for a spreadbore Qjet.
No such animal exists to my knowledge, an adapter is your only option.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Offenhauser had an aftermarket Q-Jet intake in the late 70s, early 80s. So you could keep an eye out on eBay, otherwise you'll need an adaptor.

IMHO you're just wasting time and money. An AFB or Holley is leaps and bounds better than the quadra-junk. Heck I would use a door-stop Carter Thermoquad over a Q-Jet.

Josh

Old 04-16-2011, 12:56 AM
Riderman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
IMHO you're just wasting time and money. An AFB or Holley is leaps and bounds better than the quadra-junk. Heck I would use a door-stop Carter Thermoquad over a Q-Jet.

Josh
I could not agree more! I've rebuilt dozens of these carb's, back in the day when they seemed to be the cheby factory norm. I think they built about as many different versions of this carb as well They were an emissions ploy in their time. Not good for performance nor mileage, unless you never kicked in the secondaries. Ford tried some stupid things with carburetion as well back then. Thank the lord for FI

Old 04-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Sleepy445FE
Posting Guru
I just so happen to have a 1" spread bore adapter I'll let go cheap, maybe just shipping. PM me if you want it.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:15 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Here's a Q-jet to Ford adapter kit for 20 bucks....

B.C. Broncos - 66-77 Early Ford Bronco Carburated Fuel Systems

Old 04-16-2011, 05:04 PM
TheTowingCowboy
Posting Guru
The 460 I got I am rebuilding a guy had in a 79 F250, and it had a adaptor plate and a Q-Jet on it and he pulled the truck and it did WAY better then all the other guys who had the big Holleys and Quickfuels.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:24 PM
shookdaddy
Senior User
i couldnt agree w u guys more !!!!qjunks carbs r nothing but problems ,but unfortuneatly i think edlbrock makes a spreadbore intake for fe motors ,im running a proform 850 on my trk n it performs 2xs better than it ever did w a holley on it

Old 04-16-2011, 05:34 PM
TheTowingCowboy
Posting Guru
Most guys use Q-jets when off roading. IDK I will stick with Holley, QF, etc etc.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:56 PM
lance65
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I happen to like Q-Jets. They are a GREAT carb, I plan on one for my 408 in my '77 F250.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:03 PM
supercabfreak
Elder User
Originally Posted by lance65
Well, I happen to like Q-Jets. They are a GREAT carb, I plan on one for my 408 in my '77 F250.
thank you lance65

i have a good Qjet and ive installed it on top of a adapter plate. i like the Qjet ive never had a problem with one, on the other hand ive had some problems with my ford 4100 4 bbl. and im not even gonna start talking about a holley. i like the 4100 but i keep haveing setting issues with it and i had a brand new reman Qjet sitting here.

ive already converted to the Qjet via adapter plate but would like a spread bore intake to add to my 390 build

Old 04-17-2011, 01:01 AM
Riderman
Elder User
Originally Posted by TheTowingCowboy
The 460 I got I am rebuilding a guy had in a 79 F250, and it had a adaptor plate and a Q-Jet on it and he pulled the truck and it did WAY better then all the other guys who had the big Holleys and Quickfuels.
Eldelbrock, Holley, etc must be notified of this. I mean, put an adaptor plate and a mismatched vacuum secondary emisions Qjet carb on an old cast iron intake and it can out perform their tuned carb and intake? A Qjet opens their large secondaries into an ADAPTOR PLATE that funnels into a small bore Dual Plane Intake in these trucks. Remenber that statement!!!!!! How can it (Qjet) possibly perform better than a matched system? I'm being sarcastic, but I'd think there is more to it than the carb when your bud's truck did "way better" at pulling than the other's just because of a carb. I'm no fan of Holley's, but they can be tuned many way's with several parts available. More than just the float level, jet's and mixture screws of a qjet. Qjet's operate with vacuum secondaries vrs mechanical secondaries installed on a performance carb, etc. Can you even state a model Qjet your Bud's run? I'd bet they dont know. I could go on. It's like Ford vrs chevy, every one wins in their own mind. One last example, apples to apples, everything equal in trucks\car's on the track or mud. Do you think a vacuum operated secondary emissins carb placed on an adaptor plate can even compete with a "tuned" performance mechanical secondary carb matched with it's intake? If you say yes, I cant help nor convince ya. I'll see ya all at the end of the track, up the hill or at the end of the bog hole. I dont have the numbers in front of me, but I'll state a Elelbrock 600 out of the box will wax a qjet in the same application, both being vacuum secondaries even. I mean, dosent the Eldelbrock carb bolt directly to the Ford intake with matching bores without an adaptor plate?? I've ran many Qjets..Thank the lord for tunable FI and aftermarket carbs Sorry for the Hijack.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:46 AM
Riderman
Elder User
[QUOTE=supercabfreak;10228861]
ive already converted to the Qjet via adapter plate but would like a spread bore intake to add to my 390 build

Why would you want a spreadbore? How do you drive your truck? Alot of people do not understand the make up of their engine build before it's to late. A dual plane is great for torq, a spreadbore is good for high rpm and HP. You need the cam\lifters\heads\carb\intake and pistons to match for each application. If you get the high rpm HP, can your stock truck handle it? Clutch, driveline, suspension, etc.

Build a high RPM engine, low torq usually suffers. If your racing it, who cares about low end. If you drive it like a normal truck, why in the world would you want a spreadbore intake? Look at the Rpm ranges of these intakes. I try to build my engines in the middle of the road of torq vrs HP. Most people want monster torq in these beasts. Dual plane is best with off idle performance, like pulling a boat up the ramp at low rpm without dumping\slipping the clutch at a higher rpm and spinning the wheels.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:11 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you really must have a Q Jet the best way to go would probably be to use an open plenumn 360* intake like an Offenhauser or Weiand and weld an adaptor onto it. Then mill the center wide open to get the benefit of the spread bore set up without interference.
The real BEST bet would be to sell the Q Jet and buy a Holley, then learn to tune it.

Quick Reply: Q jet intake for FE?