1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

1999 f150 fuel pressure regulator

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 11:58 AM
hammon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 f150 fuel pressure regulator

Can some one please help me. I have searched the web and looked in the book and can not find out the info on this regulator on my truck. if some one knows how to remove the old one. All the paper work tells me to remove a clamp but can't figure out how to do it. The regulator is on the back side of the motor and hard to see with a mirrior which makes it even more diffucult. If any body knows how to do this and if there is any special tool or if you have some useful pics please help me. I have spent hours trying to figure this out. Thank you.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:41 PM
hammon
New User
in much need of help

Old 04-10-2011, 01:20 PM
hammon
New User
still looking for help

Old 04-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Remove the vacuum hose in the center of the regulator.
Remove two bolts holding the regulator.
Uncouple the regulator from the fuel injection rail.
Do you know this needs to be replaced by either pressure testing or leakage?
Guessing is a lot of work if it is not the problem.
Good luck.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:22 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't remember what year it was(I know is was after '98), but Ford integrated the regulator into the rail and it is not removable, nor is it serviced separately. The only way to replace that regulator is to replace the entire fuel rail assembly.
JL

Old 04-12-2011, 01:22 PM
skinner24
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my 01' w/ 5.4L it is integrated into the fuel rail.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:42 AM
hammon
New User
Question

If it were to be intergrated into the fuel rail then wouldn't that be sold as one whole piece? I bought the piece at the auto store and it came with just the regulator. This one does not have the two bolts holding it on, I wish it did. The reason I believe this needs to be replaced is because my service engine soon light came on so I had the computer scanned twice and both times this came up as the problem. This has been a very good truck and this is the first problem I have had with it in the four years I have had it. I really just want to get it fixed.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:20 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by hammon
If it were to be intergrated into the fuel rail then wouldn't that be sold as one whole piece? I bought the piece at the auto store and it came with just the regulator. This one does not have the two bolts holding it on, I wish it did. The reason I believe this needs to be replaced is because my service engine soon light came on so I had the computer scanned twice and both times this came up as the problem. This has been a very good truck and this is the first problem I have had with it in the four years I have had it. I really just want to get it fixed.
What code came up? NOT the "diagnosis" from the parts store guys, the actual code number?
JL

Old 04-13-2011, 09:57 PM
hammon
New User
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton
What code came up? NOT the "diagnosis" from the parts store guys, the actual code number?
JL
The codes that came up were PO171 and PO174. Says if the two are set together suspect a fuel pressure condition or maf sensor fault. I replaced the maf sensor and the light came back on about 15 miles down the road so I figure it must be the pressure regulator. Do you think it could just be the fuel filter? I'm really not sure what to do but thought changing this regulator would be a quick job and has turned into a big problem.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:46 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by hammon
The codes that came up were PO171 and PO174. Says if the two are set together suspect a fuel pressure condition or maf sensor fault. I replaced the maf sensor and the light came back on about 15 miles down the road so I figure it must be the pressure regulator. Do you think it could just be the fuel filter? I'm really not sure what to do but thought changing this regulator would be a quick job and has turned into a big problem.
Those are very common codes,and are NOT indicative of a bad pressure regulator. 99% of the time, those codes are set due to a vacuum leak allowing air into the intake,thus causing a lean condition since the air is not metered through the MAF.
Check all of the vacuum hoses-there's a rubber "tee" fitting that seems to usually be a problem piece after some age. It won't look too bad visually if you don't look it over really well, but it's the source of most all of those codes. It could also be a bad set of O2 sensors, but the vacuum leak is more than likely your problem.
JL

Old 03-22-2012, 01:29 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
What ever happened to the OPs problem. Also, what are the symptoms of a bad fuel pressure regulator.
My truck looses its "prime" so to speak after you drive it and it gets hot. You start it up cold and its normal. Drive to the store, normal. When you try to leave the thing won't start. Just cranks. If you let the fuel pump run and prime so to speak a couple of times then it will start normal.
Oh its a 99 5.4L. Any thoughts. I am really in the dark here. Thanks.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Check with a pressure gage to tell what's happening.
If no pressure at normal hot crank attempt, the pump check valve has failed.
If you can build pressure by keyons several times the pump is good.
It just cannot hold pressure in the line to shorten crank time.
If the tank is low on fuel it makes it worse.
Good luck.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:26 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
When my truck is cold it starts up completly normal. Wouldn't the pump check valve lose pressure all the time? This problem is consistantly the same every time.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
May be temperature sensitive, don't know.
Do some testing to get a lead on the issue.
You did say you run the pump a number of times to get it to start, so it's a sign of sorts you don't know about till you test for it.
It will uncover a bad regulator as well.
Good luck.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:27 PM
ricoscoro
New User
Originally Posted by FordGuy85
When my truck is cold it starts up completly normal. Wouldn't the pump check valve lose pressure all the time? This problem is consistantly the same every time.
Did you ever figure out your problem? Thanks

Quick Reply: 1999 f150 fuel pressure regulator