1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Ford: "Maxi fuses" vs "cartridge fuses"

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 12:12 PM
artfd
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Ford: "Maxi fuses" vs "cartridge fuses"

I've replaced some fuses on my 2001 F150 4.2L V6 & noticed something strange in the owner's manual. Ford refers to things in the fuse box it calls "Maxi fuses" which don't match anyone else's description of "Maxi fuses" The Littlefuse company seems to call these devices "cartridge fuses".
I checked the 2010 F150 owner's manuals available online & I see that Ford doesn't describe "Maxi fuses" any more, but indicates "cartridge fuses". I don't have a 2010 model around to look at. I would guess Ford thought it had a better idea & just decided to apply a label to its fuses that no one else in the world agreed with, but eventually decided to use a label that might be understood by the rest of us.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:44 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

You mean these guys? Expensive little buggers!

Cartridge Fuses - FLF Series

Old 04-07-2011, 02:27 PM
artfd
Elder User
Exclamation

Originally Posted by alchymist
You mean these guys? Expensive little buggers!

Cartridge Fuses - FLF Series
No, the ones you indicated seem to be used as substitutes for fusible links.
If you do a Google image search "automotive J-case cartridge fuse" nearly all the pictures are of fuses like the ones in my F150. Appararently there is more than one size of the same J-case fuses, anything to keep auto owners in the dark.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:49 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

The ones linked to sure look like what's in the truck.....

Attached Images    
Old 04-07-2011, 06:00 PM
artfd
Elder User
Exclamation Naming of parts

I would call that colored thingy between the fingers an 'automotive J-case cartridge fuse.' It is what Ford called a 'maxi fuse' in its 2001 owners manual, but a 'cartridge fuse' in its 2010 owners manual. 'Cartridge fuse' means something totally different in size and appearance for household wiring. Is there any special trick to pulling one of those out? I don't see a way to grab it unless with needle nose pliers & they might shatter the casing.
The smaller color objects in the photo of the fuse box are (by common agreement) 'mini fuses', doesn't seem much confusion on that issue.
The huge black plastic boxes are relays. I'm not sure what the smaller black boxes are, either relays or circuit breakers.
Sure wish the industry would get its act together & name things consistently. I have enough trouble buying parts as it is.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:08 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

The smaller black boxes are relays also. Note the empty space between the blue and green fuses - that's where the fuse for the cig lighter goes. Mine blew, that's why it's out and I'm chasing a replacement.

The fuses in question just pull out, like the smaller ones. The place I linked to calls them "Cartridge Fuses - FLF Series". Only one auto parts store around where I live carries them - about $4.00 a pop.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:54 PM
artfd
Elder User
Exclamation

The place I linked to calls them "Cartridge Fuses - FLF Series". Only one auto parts store around where I live carries them - about $4.00 a pop.
But the images on the link you posted Cartridge Fuses - FLF Series don't look much like the one between your fingers, the shape is very different.
By the way, what do they look like when they are blown?
I just replaced a 5 amp minifuse in my cab fuse box, after missing the fact that it was blown earlier. The gap in the fuse wire was very hard to see in anything but the brightest light.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:48 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Originally Posted by artfd
But the images on the link you posted Cartridge Fuses - FLF Series don't look much like the one between your fingers, the shape is very different.
By the way, what do they look like when they are blown?
I just replaced a 5 amp minifuse in my cab fuse box, after missing the fact that it was blown earlier. The gap in the fuse wire was very hard to see in anything but the brightest light.
I think the only difference in the ones I linked to is the actual case molding - the dimensions and spacing on the contacts are probably the same -
Here's another link:

Amazon.com: Littelfuse JCAS20BP JCASE 495 Series Automotive Type Cartridge Fuse: Automotive

Here's a shot of the blown 20 amp I took out - pretty obvious it's blown. Sorry for the crappy pic -

Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2011, 06:01 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Perhaps this is a better link-
JCase® Standard

Old 04-08-2011, 06:24 PM
artfd
Elder User
Exclamation

Perhaps this is a better link-
JCase® Standard
Yes, that is a much better link.
I discovered these are also called "PAL fuses". Got an email from a mechanic I know, he said: They are also referred to as PAL fuses. The original manufacturer was Pacific Auto Link hence the name PAL. I have gotten to the point that I can usually look through the clear window and see a problem. Other than that you have to remove the fuse and either ohm it out or use a small screwdriver and release the clips for the clear window and inspect.

Yes, fuses can be quite difficult to remove and with age I have resorted to using needle nose or duck bill pliers.

The PAL fuses are even more difficult and there are special tools for helping to remove those. Pliers and some sort of pry bar also work on these but you stand a chance of damaging the fuse case.

After doing a Google search on "PAL fuses" I found this PDF file from Littlefuse: http://www.littelfuse.com/data/en/Da...ermarket-7.pdf
It lists & pictures a variety of different PAL fuses on one page and their types:
1. PAL™ Female terminal
2. PAL™ Straight Male Terminal
3. PAL™ 13/16" Bent Male Terminal
4. PAL™ Mini Female Terminal -- this appears to match the one you pictured earlier between your fingers
5. PAL™ 9/16" Bent Male Terminal
6. PAL™ Locking Female Terminal

The pic of the blown fuse looks pretty obvious. I certainly wouldn't care how I removed it, even if I had to pull it out in pieces with pliers. The mini fuse I replaced yesterday was very difficult to identify as 'blown', the gap in the wire was so small, and there was very little burnt material.
Question: the top of the blown J-case or PAL™ fuse you show in close up seems to have tabs on it. Do you think these can be released to open up the top of the J-case or PAL fuse for closer inspection?

Last edited by artfd; 04-08-2011 at 06:25 PM. Reason: removed wrong HTML code
Old 04-08-2011, 06:32 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Originally Posted by artfd
Yes, that is a much better link.
Question: the top of the blown J-case or PAL™ fuse you show in close up seems to have tabs on it. Do you think these can be released to open up the top of the J-case or PAL fuse for closer inspection?
You mean like this?

Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2011, 07:01 PM
artfd
Elder User
Exclamation

You mean like this?
Exactly! This thread may be the best one about automotive fuses on the internet!

Old 04-10-2011, 08:57 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I call them slow blow fuses. Maxi fuses originally were the ones that looked like gigantic versions of the standard blade fuse and Ford just kept that designation for a long time. The latest ones are like yours posted above alchymist but they are only half as long. The mini fuses have blades that are only about half as long as well. They are getting smaller and smaller.

I have found no easy way to pop those long ones out. My parts guys call them "tooth" shaped maxi fuses. You always seem to pull the plastic top off unless you take a lot of time pulling it out. Fortunately they are pretty easy to tell if they are blown and you dont really need to care if you mess one up replacing it.

It does become a real bear though when you have to pull about 20 or so out of the fuse box to trace down a draw. The small relays in the fuse box are just as tight and difficult too. Just something else to add aggrevation for the electrical technicians.