Sponsored by: Moser

NPD or LMC.......?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 02:25 PM
dentside250
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NPD or LMC.......?

im starting to make a list of some of the crucial things i need to get my truck back on the road . problem is i , like most everybody have a very limited budget.
wondering if anybody could give me some feedback on ordering from NPD and lmc. i looked for radius arm bushings in both catalogs. lmc had a set for about 13 dollars and they fit years 73-79. npd listed a set for about 33 dollars , but it seemed like they had about three different sets for years 73-79 depending on the year. what experience has everybody had with these catalogs, and whether or not i should go cheap or go with npd which seems to have a refined selection of parts?

Old 04-01-2011, 02:38 PM
704 dentside man
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't subject my truck to anything from LMC, regardless of how much cheaper it is. I prefer to only cry once.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:44 PM
clovins
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with 704. I don't really like either of them but parts are not too difficult to come by in my area.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:56 PM
AVL1955
Junior User
haven't dealt with either

Old 04-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Squirrel Man Sam
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have yet to order parts for my Ford from LMC, but I pretty much built my '67 Chevy p/u out of the LMC catalog, and was very happy with the parts, although the price was often steep.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:15 PM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Go to the local parts house and get your bushings, you wont have to pay freight that way. I just picked up a set of RA bushings for my 78 a couple of days ago. They were like 19 bucks for both sides and high quality. Most engine, chassis and electrical parts are still available for these trucks (Where do you think LMC and NPD get them?) Stay away from the chain autoparts places (Autozone etc.) Go to the good old locally owned "old school" places and you'll be amazed at what they can still get for a 40+ year old truck...............

Old 04-01-2011, 05:28 PM
lafermedavid
Cargo Master

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts
Dennis Carpenter looks pretty decent to deal with,I just ordered my first order from lmc raddiator bushings,lower door skin,door skin fit nice.Auto zone had the timken bearings I needed for my front and rear axles,that was convienent.a little hear alittle there.Semi slow process.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:43 PM
brownfoot
Senior User
had good luck with finding parts, and good prices with Rockauto
if you are replacing the I-beam bushings, measure the old ones before you order
or I have some of the bigger ones that will not fit, should have by info on site, that are about worth the shipping to return
I'll just keep them, not worth the trouble for $1.50
btw, use the local guys for the common stuff they stock

Old 04-01-2011, 08:08 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
I've bought from both LMC and NPD depending on what I need.

Perhaps I go about it more methodically.. I set up a spreadsheet divided into phases of a rebuild (suspension, brakes, engine, exterior, interior, accessories) listing the parts I need or want. Then I enter heading columns on the right with the sources (NPD, LMC, DC, JBG, MAC, etc) and fill in their prices. Doing so lets me instantly compare prices and the total potential shipping costs. I mean, I only wanna pay shipping once to maximize the "bang for my bucks".

Sometimes it's a wash and sometimes not.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:53 PM
70 Bronco TX
Senior User
I'm with HIO Silver in practice, but in experience LMC isn't great product.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:00 AM
dentside250
Freshman User
well thankfully i haven't ordered anything yet. thanks for the input and keep it coming . i have been to the chain auto stores and they aren't any help. either they dont go back that far or if they do its a wait on parts that is just ridiculous . theres alot of body work on my truck that has to be done as well . anybody know of some good sources for body panels and patch panels? its my first time diving into the world of auto restoration and i dont have a clue ? i dont want to get ripped off because im ignorant . i have heard of people buying after market panel that dont fit worth a dang ? any reliable sources?

Old 04-02-2011, 06:19 AM
whistle1516
Senior User
I have ordered bed patch panels, all of the seals, bed side fender patch, inner wheel well splashed, cab corners, different electrical pig tails, battery tray, flooring, flooring insulation, door jam switches, and other misc parts from LMC. I have had nothing but good luck.I was amazed on the bed floor patches. They fit really nice and so did the other parts. I even used the color bond interior paint which turned out nice. I compared prices and LMC was usually cheaper. I think if you order over $2000 its free. LMC sent me gift cards for $25 here and there. And even sent me a thank you card. its just my opinion but I think they are a great company. The people at the desk were super friendly.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:20 AM
whistle1516
Senior User
I should of been more clear. When you order $2000 or more the shipping is free.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:59 AM
79fordchick
Freshman User
Originally Posted by whistle1516
I have ordered bed patch panels, all of the seals, bed side fender patch, inner wheel well splashed, cab corners, different electrical pig tails, battery tray, flooring, flooring insulation, door jam switches, and other misc parts from LMC. I have had nothing but good luck.I was amazed on the bed floor patches. They fit really nice and so did the other parts. I even used the color bond interior paint which turned out nice. I compared prices and LMC was usually cheaper. I think if you order over $2000 its free. LMC sent me gift cards for $25 here and there. And even sent me a thank you card. its just my opinion but I think they are a great company. The people at the desk were super friendly.

Iv ordered from them a few times and their parts aren't too bad, but usually I'll just buy from bronco graveyard or ebay since they're usually wayyyy cheaper than LMC. But sometimes LMC has things BG doesn't have and vice versa

Old 04-02-2011, 08:53 AM
lafermedavid
Cargo Master

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts
best part of all is the good people on this web site that helps me make my decisions.thanks to all

Quick Reply: NPD or LMC.......?