It's not WVO, it's not B100- what the hell is it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:33 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not WVO, it's not B100- what the hell is it?

I gotta local guy on Craigslist that sells "biofuel". He told me it's WVO cleaned/dewatered, and he thins it chemically but it retains the glycerin. So what does that make it?

I started hauling cars and run about an extra 1000 miles or so a WEEK, and am looking for a cheaper fuel source. My usual B100 guy had a bad batch last week and he is kinda far to get to. Basically I want to run as cheap as possible, without losing any reliability, when I can't run B100 and trying to stay off #2. I'm looking at going dual-fuel, but donw the road a bit.Thanks for the help!

Old 03-30-2011, 03:57 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mongo75
I gotta local guy on Craigslist that sells "biofuel". He told me it's WVO cleaned/dewatered, and he thins it chemically but it retains the glycerin. So what does that make it?
It's what would be called a blend. It's possibly thinned out with kerosene, gasoline, diesel, acetone, MEK, mineral spirits, or other solvents in combination, or just one or two of the above. So this 'fuel' is used by what are termed as 'blenders'.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:25 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mongo75
That makes it a slow death for your truck. Run, don't walk, away from this bozo..................

Old 03-30-2011, 10:19 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Hey thanks guys, that's kinda what I figured. Hell, I think I learned all about bio from Mr. Fabman, and now thank fully I can differentiate between a great alternative fuel and crap. I just wanted to make sure that maybe I didn't miss something....

Old 03-31-2011, 12:55 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
Hey guys, I just got an email back from the guy, after I asked him what the process was, and this is his answer

"Hi Danny,

No problem with questions. The glycerine in base vegetable oil is what is most
potent. If you can recall nitroglycerin is dynamite. The problem is if the
glycerine is left untreated it does not combust completely or like diesel fuel
does. I settle, heat, centrifuge then react the glyceine with....... causing a
chemical reaction in which the glycerine binds with ...... molecules.

Sorry can't share the chemicals used.

The thought of biodiesel(which I have made before) is to just remove the
glycerine altogether, however removing it reduces it to a waste product when it
is what the fuel needs to be potent."

He sent a pic, and it looks nice and clear like new oil, but I am a bit disheartened that he won't tell me what chemical he uses. ANyone have an idea of what it could be>

Old 03-31-2011, 05:40 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Sounds like the guy is talking out his a$$...........Maybe he is one of the idiots using Diesel Secret? Stay far away from someone who wont even tell you what he's putting in YOUR FUEL! Running any form of WVO WITHOUT heating it first is asking for trouble.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:39 AM
KEITH69RANGER
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
agree with fabmandelux, it's not so much the chemicals, but the amount and sequence of mixing. the other thing is whether you just pour in, slow stir or power mixer. you could just heat up WVO and run thru filters down to 1-2 micron and have what he is claiming to produce.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Jeffrey S Brooks
New User
I have been experimenting with blending gasoline with waste vegetable oil (WVO) to make diesel fuel for 5 years. I know it works quite well, but it has its problems, just as the biodiesel process and the two-tank SVO systems have their problems. People, who experiment with fabricating diesel fuel out of waste products need to work out those problems. I am still working out the problems in my waste oil blending process.

Blending does not require chemical reactions. It just requires finding a useful solvent that blends readily with vegetable oil, blending it at a correct ratio, settling that blend to allow most of the contaminants to settle out of solution, knowing how long to settle, then filtering.

I have found blending gasoline at 20% with Waste Vegetable Oil (WVO) works quite well for my 6.2L diesel engine. I have found the fuel remains liquid down below 0F (-18c) and my engine starts right up at those temperatures on that blend without the need of a block heater.

I am still working out the settling time. I found settling for only 3 hours removes about 90% of the sediments including water. However, I have recently found that after filtering down to 1-micron there is still a fair amount of sub-micron sediment. So, I am increasing the settling time to 12 hours to see if that significantly reduces the sub-micron particulate. I will keep increasing the settling time until I find the sub-micron particulate is at a reasonably acceptable level.

It would be useful to know how much sub-micron particulate a 6.2L diesel engine can handle. I will find out by repeated trials.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:42 PM
wal1809
Freshman User
Big problem!! Any diesel motor will run off of even straight WVO. the problem comes with the llife span of the engine. If you don't take the glycerin out (make bio diesel) or prepare it for a clean burn (heated WVO) then your going to shorten the life of the engine. The glycerin will eventually gum inside the cylinders, sticking rings and coking the injector tips. It is not worth it.

I can understand doing it with and old mercedes and running it until it just dies. Then get another one. But for my needs that isn't the case.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Jeffrey S Brooks
New User
There are people all over the world successfully running vegetable oil in a diesel engine. There are three ways to do it. Most people react a base with vegetable oil through the medium of an alcohol. Other people burn straight vegetable oil, most typically in a two-tank system. And, third way many people successfully burn vegetable oil in a diesel engine is blending it with one or more solvents.

Most commonly people blend vegetable oil (VO) at 50% with diesel fuel. Some people blend VO with kerosene at a ratio of 70/30. Others blend gasoline with VO at 20% gasoline.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:51 AM
wal1809
Freshman User
I agree there are people running VO/blend all over the world. There are also people all over the world finding out they should not have done that as they shortened the life of the engine.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:42 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S Brooks
There are people all over the world successfully running vegetable oil in a diesel engine. There are three ways to do it. Most people react a base with vegetable oil through the medium of an alcohol. Other people burn straight vegetable oil, most typically in a two-tank system. And, third way many people successfully burn vegetable oil in a diesel engine is blending it with one or more solvents.

Most commonly people blend vegetable oil (VO) at 50% with diesel fuel. Some people blend VO with kerosene at a ratio of 70/30. Others blend gasoline with VO at 20% gasoline.
Welcome to the forum! You probably won't get many people on here that agree with you. I've read the study's, posted some of them in here over the last 6 years, and could find at least a dozen forum members that have lost engine, injectors, and IPs.

Most people on this forum are making a quality biodiesel or are using a HEATED two tank WVO system. Both have been shown to not cause any long term damage.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:20 PM
wal1809
Freshman User
It is OK if some of us disagree as that is the American way. I run Bio D and I am in the process of setting up a 2 tank for my bus with a 6V92 Detroit. If all goes well I will have the last of the work done on the Detroit tonight. The first valves I tried on it dod not allow enough oil flow to feed that beast. I bought some SV200 valves from GReasecar and I will have them hooked up by 6 PM tonight. We shall see!!

Old 04-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Jeffrey S Brooks
New User
I am OK with dissagreement, in fact as a blender, who has been active on most of the biofuels forums for 5 years, I am used to receiving a lot of disagreement. My point is, there are three well-tested ways to burn recycled vegetable oil on a diesel engine. Not, just two ways of doing it. Just because those who have not figured out how to blend successfully are against it, does not make blending an invalid method of burning vegetable oil.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:06 PM
wal1809
Freshman User
If it's working for you then I would have to agree with you. Keep on with the keeping on as we wvo/bd/blender people are all in the same boat. We are all scrutinized, laughed at, called fools and don't forget we are crazy. So if we were to put down each itdrs methods or infighting so to speak, then we would not progress.

Quick Reply: It's not WVO, it's not B100- what the hell is it?