Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

1994 F350 Turbo Diesel 7.3L won't start

Old 03-28-2011, 08:20 AM
dnewref
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 F350 Turbo Diesel 7.3L won't start

I changed the oil seals on my truck's oil cooler and now truck won't run. I suspect the Fuel Injector Control module is not firing. Is there any sensor that is related to the oil system that could prevent the injectors from firing? What is the best way to debug the FICM (Fuel Injecto Control Module)?

Old 03-28-2011, 08:23 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Youre in the wrong forum, this is pre-power stroke.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:25 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Old 03-28-2011, 04:39 PM
dnewref
New User
My motor is not a power stroke.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:50 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Then you dont have a injector control module. There is a mechanical fuel pump that pulls fuel from the tank and supplies the injection pump. (also mechanical) Is there any smoke coming from the tailpipe when you crank it? White smoke is unburnt fuel.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:37 PM
dnewref
New User
No smoke is coming from tail pipe. If I inject starter fluid into the breather it will fire up until I take starter fluid away. Right after I finished putting oil cooler on, the engine was started and ran for 20 seconds and stopped. It has not hit a lick since. Except for the starter fluid. Another mechanic says it is the crankshaft sensor.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:51 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
post a pic of the engine bay, that we can tell you for sure. Sounds like the mechanical lift pump is worn out and not supplying fuel. Pics bro, we can do a lot with pics.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:59 PM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dnewref
I changed the oil seals on my truck's oil cooler and now truck won't run. I suspect the Fuel Injector Control module is not firing. Is there any sensor that is related to the oil system that could prevent the injectors from firing? What is the best way to debug the FICM (Fuel Injecto Control Module)?
All the things indicate you have one of the first powerstrokes. IM gonna take a wild stab and say your truck also has a 5 spd. Post a pic of the engine bay and we can tell you for sure, but the words in red are all powerstroke words.....

Old 03-28-2011, 07:03 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
if you have an IDI diesel (non powerstroke), you have no crank position sensor either. When you turn the ign on, it sends power to a fuel shotoff valve up on the injection pump. When that valve is open, fuel can flow and when the engine cranks, it should start.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:29 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
If it is a Power Stroke, I would suggest filling up your top oil so the HEUI injectors actually have pressurized oil to fire them. Chances are it drained out when you drained the rest of the oil and it is not being recirculated properly.

This guy explains the top end oil in this series of videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1oHA...eature=related

Old 03-29-2011, 09:45 AM
dnewref
New User
I now believe that this truck is one of the first DI (Direct Injected) powerstroke motors with the HEUI (hydraulically actuated electronic unit injection). Looking at the videos posted bu eatont9999, My motor looks very much like this one with the top end oil reservoir. I measured the the oil level in this reservoir and found it to be 6.5" below the top of the reservoir. Tonight when I get home, I will try adding oil to this reservoir.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:13 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
thats what we all thought, if you look at the engine bay and see a black cover that has DI or direct inujection on it, you sir, are a stroker!! haha.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:28 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Usually the tag on the fender will say "power stroke" if thats what it is. Mine has a tag on the tailgate that says "diesel"

Old 03-29-2011, 07:20 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dnewref
I now believe that this truck is one of the first DI (Direct Injected) powerstroke motors with the HEUI (hydraulically actuated electronic unit injection). Looking at the videos posted bu eatont9999, My motor looks very much like this one with the top end oil reservoir. I measured the the oil level in this reservoir and found it to be 6.5" below the top of the reservoir. Tonight when I get home, I will try adding oil to this reservoir.

I hope that fixes your problem. It is a terrible feeling when your truck won't start and you have work to do. I would recommend watching all of PowerstrokeHelp's videos. He is pretty through and knows his strokes. If you don't have proof of service records for your truck, I would suggest that you go through PSH's longevity series and perform the work you can so that you know it has been done.

Good luck.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:22 PM
dnewref
New User
Well I gues you might have wondered. Did I every get the truck started, and the answer is no. Even though I'm in the wrong forum, your responses have helped me out a lot with this (my first) deisel. So I ask that you continue to help me with this problem.
So here is where I am... The EEC (diagnostic system) doen not work. I only get a solid on signal from the Data out pin. My local mechanics (that have also been helping me out) were convinece that the oil cooler tube is on backwards.. I finally took it off last night and took it to a mechanic today and he agreed with me there is no way to get this tube on backwards. The cooling tube can be mounted either way. But I did notice the by-pass valve on the oil filter housing was missing... So now I have to find another housing... B/c Ford does not sell just the valve. So when I get the new (or used) housing, I have a few things to try.
1) Fill the filter up with oil before installing it.
2) fill the top end with oil and use the bleed port on the side of the housing to bleed out all the air in the cooling tube.
3) work on figuring out why the EEC does not work.
By the way, this truck was running just fine, prior to trying to fix this oil leak. If anyone has some additional ideas, I'm all ears.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1994 F350 Turbo Diesel 7.3L won't start