ECM Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 05:35 PM
gurrola
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ECM Replacement

Hi, just join this forum and its great..!

I have a real problem, i hope you can help me.

I have a motorhome, chasis,engine and all its ford, my ecm itīs not working, when i start the engine, looks like there its too much fuel and i have black smoke, ok so i try with another ecm, starts fine but my automatic transmision its not working fine, i can not find another ecm around here, do you know where i can find one that works with my motorhome, i have this information:

Engine 460 7.5
Year 1993
Serial: F2PF-12A650-ANA
T2L0

Any help would be appreciate.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:33 AM
mustangman
Senior User
first check for vaccum leaks,and for sure replace MAP sensor and check for vaccum going to it, your f53? if its a classA motorhome, might qualify for the free updated ecm/catalytic under recall#94b37 ,, my 92 f53 qualified but i never did or will never take it in, mine runs fine plus the newer ecm is programmed a bit leaner for emmisions, but main reason i don't take it in is they confiscate the original ecm and i don't trust tem with my sht, plus i went with full length Banks headers ditched the cat, if this ecm goes out i have one for a efi460/c6 going to ditch that e4od trans one day when it goes out and get a c6, update i just checked covers f53s built up to Jan-31-93,,go to you ford truck dealer give them your vin#, im betting its ur map sensor, they don't throw codes at times when they go

Old 03-24-2011, 06:34 PM
gurrola
New User
Originally Posted by mustangman
first check for vaccum leaks,and for sure replace MAP sensor and check for vaccum going to it, your f53? if its a classA motorhome, might qualify for the free updated ecm/catalytic under recall#94b37 ,, my 92 f53 qualified but i never did or will never take it in, mine runs fine plus the newer ecm is programmed a bit leaner for emmisions, but main reason i don't take it in is they confiscate the original ecm and i don't trust tem with my sht, plus i went with full length Banks headers ditched the cat, if this ecm goes out i have one for a efi460/c6 going to ditch that e4od trans one day when it goes out and get a c6, update i just checked covers f53s built up to Jan-31-93,,go to you ford truck dealer give them your vin#, im betting its ur map sensor, they don't throw codes at times when they go
Thanks for helping.! Yes, itīs an class A motorhome, well the mechanic check map and everything else and itīs ok, we try another ecm and the engine starts ok, but the automatic transmision itīs not working well.

Today I found a place that has the same ecm or at least the same code which is efi-sd36e, they say that this must be the correct code.

Wish me luck..!

Old 03-25-2011, 09:38 AM
mjp_t98
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The EFI-SD36E is the code for the hardware inside your ECM. That certainly has to be the same, but that is not sufficient.

In F2PF-12A650-ANA and T2L0, F2PF designates model year, all Ford ECMs seem to be 12A650. The "-ANA" matches the "T2L0" and refers to the calibration. These need to be the same to operate the engine and E4OD properly.

Where is it you can't find an ECM? There are several remanufacturers of ECMs, (Cardone being one), and these can be bought through parts stores like Autozone. When your transmission is in OD, its operation is entirely controlled by the ECM, so it has to be the right one. The wrong gear selected at the wrong time might just lock the rear wheels in a truck but in a Class A motorhome that could break the engine and transmission and cause a loss of control.

Get the correct one.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:41 PM
gurrola
New User
Talking

Originally Posted by mjp_t98
The EFI-SD36E is the code for the hardware inside your ECM. That certainly has to be the same, but that is not sufficient.

In F2PF-12A650-ANA and T2L0, F2PF designates model year, all Ford ECMs seem to be 12A650. The "-ANA" matches the "T2L0" and refers to the calibration. These need to be the same to operate the engine and E4OD properly.

Where is it you can't find an ECM? There are several remanufacturers of ECMs, (Cardone being one), and these can be bought through parts stores like Autozone. When your transmission is in OD, its operation is entirely controlled by the ECM, so it has to be the right one. The wrong gear selected at the wrong time might just lock the rear wheels in a truck but in a Class A motorhome that could break the engine and transmission and cause a loss of control.

Get the correct one.
Ok, here in Mexico are not very common, motorhomes, and ecm repair is not very common, only get used, I asked via email to many and I have no answer in the U.S., even when I do not want the shipment to Mexico, only to texas, if anyone knows any place where i can ask, and i would appreciate, thank you very much for the advice you gave me, is very important.