Heated seat wiring and functions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:14 PM
co04cobra
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heated seat wiring and functions

Im installing a set of 04 lariat seats into a 00 truck. I need to know how you guys have hooked up the heat. The power part is no problem. What I thought was right which was a separate constant 12v and a switched 12v for the module and ground apparently isnt right. If somebody could ohm out their harness on a 01 truck that would be great. As I have it right now the light on the switch comes on but almost instantly turns off. Open to all advice and experience. Thanks.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,660 Likes on 1,342 Posts
Old 03-22-2011, 11:21 PM
co04cobra
New User
Could you bring one up for a 01 with heated seats? Thanks

Old 03-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Franklin2
I thought you had 04 seats? That's what the above links are. Go to autozone's site, register and then plug in the vehicle you want. Go to vehicle repair guides, and then go to wiring diagrams. They have around 2001-2005 grouped together.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:58 PM
co04cobra
New User
I do have 04 seats but where I think im running into problems is they are 04 seats and I put 01 underneath seat harness on them. The heaters plugged in the same, but I had to change the switch. The reason I did that is b/c I had the heated seat modules and harness for 01 seats but not 04 up. Looks like not to many other people are as dumb as me to even try this let alone change the harness. I know somebody else has had to of did this before? I will try autozone site when I get a chance.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:42 PM
co04cobra
New User
Ok so has there been ANYBODY that has ACTUALLY pulled this off and put a set of newer seats in a older truck and got the heat to work??

Old 03-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Franklin2
Help me understand what the problem is. You have the 04 seats and the 04 controllers correct? Looking at the links I gave you above, hopefully you already have that EATC thing in the diagram, I am not sure exactly what that is. Besides that, just run key on power to the white/lightblue wire, and a constant hot wire to the red/black, and they should work correct?

Old 03-25-2011, 05:19 PM
co04cobra
New User
I have 04 seats but I dont have the eatc module for them. Im not sure where that is located but could probably get one if I had too. So what I did was take 01-02 heated seat harness's and modules out and put under these seats. Each seat has its own module. So unlike the 04 style the whole system should be contained in the seat. I tested each wire on several 01 seats and a few Exs that had this same setup so I would know what color wire powered what. Then I just wired them in. Which like you I was thinking should just be a constant hot and a switched hot or that is all it seemed to be in the other trucks I checked. The 01 harness plugged into the 04 seat heaters and motors so I was thinking that they only changed them b/c they had changed the control module. I know this is confusing. I need to check another 01 and 02 trucks with heated seats but dont have any around right now. I am wondering now if anybody has got the heat to work on 01-02 seats trying to put them in a older truck b/c I guess that is basically what I have now.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Franklin2
Here is the 2001 heated seat diagram.
AutoZone.com Repair Guide Image)

Comparing it to the other 04 diagrams, I see the terminal numbers are different on the modules and one of the wire colors is different.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:36 AM
co04cobra
New User
Maybe Im not reading the diagram right. My thoughts are by switching the harness's out all I did was change the way the heaters are controlled. The 02 harness plugs right into the plugs for the elements. There are 5 wires on the drivers side. 1. Ground 2. 12v 3. seatbelt 4. Another 12v 5. Switched 12v. Passenger seat is only 3 wires. A ground, Swithced, and constant. Does any of that make sense to anybody else or seem like that could be right? Or should work? With this setup it should make the seat all one self contained unit. Thoughts?

Old 03-27-2011, 08:55 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
No offense but it seems to me you're going about this all bass awkards!

First you probably NEED the control module especially if it contains that sensor which probably prevents over heating and toasting your buns. Once you obtain it or more than one if called for the rest becomes just a bit easier to cobble together.

I'll share this---I've added heated mirrors to my '00 E250 utilizing the rear window defroster switches/timer modules from early 90's Crown Vic's or the Mercury counterpart. Even between years the Ford EVTM's show different wire colors AND terminal placement on the connectors for the control modules. What I discovered was there is a common scheme to how those modules work so it was simply a matter of "mapping" the wiring inputs on them and making my own schematic so to speak.

IF your vehicle was not equipped from the factory with heated seats AND you don't have a suitable already-installed wiring harness you'll have to do much the same as I did---create your own hook ups.

Apart from acquring those control modules and figuring out how they work this can't be that tough. I would add the safety aspect they'd give seems to be well worth whatever needs done in order to incorporate them. A simple on/off switch alone just doesn't seem that wise---not when there are butts in those seats!!

Best of luck!

Old 03-27-2011, 08:34 PM
co04cobra
New User
I have added in alot of things like this also. I added on heated and signal mirrors. Just added a 08 tailgate w/ step and camera. I bought the factory harness from ford and hooked it up to my Pioneer HU using the factory camera and harness. Power sliding back glass etc... Like you said once you map out or trace down the factory harness and put power to the pins that they had them to it should work. With these heated seats that has not been the case. So far I still havent saw anybody that has chimed in and said they HAVE got a set to work. I have all the harness's done and ran in the truck putting power to the pins exactly how the factory had them on the 02 harness.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:04 PM
co04cobra
New User
Anybody else got any suggestions? The other question I guess is does a 02 seat and a 04 seat have the same heating elements?

Old 04-05-2011, 08:34 PM
co04cobra
New User
Bump. I tried another module under the drivers seat and it still does the same thing.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 AM
dilan73
Senior User
ever get it to work properly ?
I'm installing 2006 KR seats in my 99 f250 SD. they have up-down, back-forth, heat and memory. i can get them powered to move but no memory and as far as heat can i just add the switch or do they need to go to the EATC=Automatic Electronic Temp Control which would be the climate controls correct? but instead of the manual ones they are the digital ones.
can i by-pass the EATC and just put a switch i see from the diagrams that the sensors are in the seat cushion so the safety issue of over heating is OK correct?
these are the seats the drivers has memory they both have power and heat and the sticker on the drivers seat says it passed inspection in 2006 so that's how i figure the year.
when i looked up the diagrams on Auto zone the only ones that seem to fit my seats where 2005 here is a pic of the drivers side connector each wire labeled

Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Heated seat wiring and functions