5% prewash then magnesol?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:49 AM
ttttmaxx
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5% prewash then magnesol?

I found an article the other day on one of the biodiesel forums which I found interesting but unsure I want to do it. I have, for time being switched to magnesol for washing. The last batch after reaction and gly removal I air bubbled over night to remove methanol. I didn't have a condenser/still, just air bubbled into the open atmosphere with fan blowing for 24 hrs. I was attempting to use less magnesol. Seemed to work. Now I read this article where a guy did a 5% prewash after reaction and settled for a couple of hours before draining gly. The guy stated that doing this prewash removed all the methanol? My question is, does this indeed remove all the methanol by just doing a prewash? If so, would the magnesol then wash out the remnants of water that was added for the prewash? I was thinking this could be a real time saver if true. You guys washing with magnesol ever do the prewash? Seems you are defeating the purpose of not having to add water to your mix when using magnesol, but Im trying to use as little as possible as this stuff is not cheap. Thoughts on this? Thanks for your help.....Maxx

Old 03-17-2011, 07:33 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I will never introduce water in any of my bio. I remove the methanol first then use 1% Magnesol. Never had any problems...........