General Automotive Discussion

How about a Ford Micro Truck?

Old 03-05-2011, 10:21 PM
riflecrank
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about a Ford Micro Truck?

I was just remembering my 1971 Datsun pickup. If you can recall these they were pretty small. Nothing like the stuff Nissan and Toyota sell today. If I remember correctly it had a 1600cc 97 HP 4 banger and a 5 speed. The bed was long enough to get a couple of dirt bikes and your gear for the weekend in. I seem to recall getting around 25 MPG with it. If Ford could come out with something that size that gets 35 MPG with an up to date powertrain they will sell a ton of them when gas hits $5.00. They are dropping the Ranger so why not?

Old 03-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well as Americans expand they need bigger and bigger vehicles.

To impress people they don't know with things they don't need.

The Original Ranger was a good combo in its day minus the I beams, and what would it be capable of now with todays technologically advanced motors.

I had the new 07 GMC RCSB, and I meet a guy with a 74 Chevy RCSB. He transplanted the same motor, tranny, and electronics into his truck as mine. He was alot faster, and got much better mpgs then I could dream of. The damn truck would get 25mpg hwy. I guess the larger larger rims I had "17's stock", and extra 1200 my truck weighed made a difference.

I personally believe that every truck company builds things to look good on spec sheets, and ignores how 95% of people just drive there trucks. For the people who use the 1/2 tons to the max theres 3/4 tons. I just need to haul a few hundred pounds from home depot.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:21 AM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Tiny trucks are deathtraps in crashes. Lots of the weight of current vehicles is crash protection.

Americans can afford five-dollar gas (they will squawk, but they can afford it).

Old 03-06-2011, 10:41 PM
ganzey
Senior User
i wouldnt mind one of these with a 4.5l powerstroke

Old 03-17-2011, 02:34 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Junior User
I can't afford it! But if they hadn't droped the Panther Platform, they could've introduced a new Ranchero could've even put it on the Taxi/Town Car frame so it was longer. Base Ranchero with a Ecoboost V6 and a Ranchero GT with a SOHC 5.4 or 3V 4.6(OR the new 5.0 instead of the 4.6) Offer the FR55 auto or a T56.

Upsize the Ranger some so it's bigger somewhat possibly make it a F100 Ranger and then the F150 is upscaled to the size of the F250 or 350.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:35 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Junior User
I can't afford it! But if they hadn't droped the Panther Platform, they could've introduced a new Ranchero could've even put it on the Taxi/Town Car frame so it was longer. Base Ranchero with a Ecoboost V6 and a Ranchero GT with a SOHC 5.4 or 3V 4.6(OR the new 5.0 instead of the 4.6) Offer the FR55 auto or a T56.

Upsize the Ranger some so it's bigger somewhat possibly make it a F100 Ranger and then the F150 is upscaled to the size of the F250 or 350.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:26 AM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Dont know where youre from or what you do for a living but I cant affor $5 gas...............And no......I'm not a welfare bum. I work hard for a living........

Old 03-18-2011, 01:38 AM
artfd
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by riflecrank
I was just remembering my 1971 Datsun pickup. If you can recall these they were pretty small. Nothing like the stuff Nissan and Toyota sell today. If I remember correctly it had a 1600cc 97 HP 4 banger and a 5 speed. The bed was long enough to get a couple of dirt bikes and your gear for the weekend in. I seem to recall getting around 25 MPG with it. If Ford could come out with something that size that gets 35 MPG with an up to date powertrain they will sell a ton of them when gas hits $5.00. They are dropping the Ranger so why not?
I bought a 1974 Datsun pickup with an 8-foot bed new for $4000. It had a 1.9L engine & 4 or 5-speed M/T. I put about 134,000 miles on it and got 22-25 mpg average, occasionally hitting 30 mpg if the wind blew just right. It was terrible to ride in, much too small in the cab for me & the OEM tires were like railroad wheels until I upgraded to wider 14" rims and F70-14 radials.
By the time the Datsun died I had ruptured a disk in my spine from all the jarring and cramping. Its last morning in May 1983 it started up with a cloud of white sweet smelling smoke in the exhaust, got me home to my driveway and never ran again. I'd lost compression in 2 adjacent cylinders. I looked for a replacement engine, none were available, the scrap yard men said all those engines died the same way & weren't worth repairing. Very few functional engines were available for transplants. I had the remains carted away for junking. Got my money's worth, though.
Ford does have up-to-date engines that get far better than 35 mpg's, they're turbo diesels and will never be sold in the USA.
The Euro version of the Transit Connect gets 40-50 mpg with its diesel, and provides far more space inside for both the driver & cargo. I suppose Ford could put its new ecoBoost 4-cylinder engine in the TC, which would be both more powerful and more economical than the engine now in it. That little ecoBoost is supposed to be an option on Ford's upcoming C-max mini-minivan to be sold later this year.
I was going to buy a gas powered Transit Connect, but the #$(!! thing has this HUGE console which really cramps my right leg position and aggravates the pain & numbness from my ruptured disk. I'm disgusted with the way Ford designed a vehicle with so much space and very little for the driver.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:26 AM
db_tanker
Elder User
seen a chevy from mexico sporting a truck bed with what looked like an aveo front. seemed like not a bad idea for a city delivery vehicle.

I honestly think that with the Ford Kuga coming over in a year or two, clipping the rear section and putting a cargo box on would make for an interesting vehicle...

Go Aussie style and put an Eco-Boost 2.0 twin turbo in it with a 6 speed manual and have some serious fun.

BTW, I think the Aussies have finally gotten their act together and are starting to use the 5.0 Coyote with their Falcon and Falcon UTE...we can wish for that monster to somehow show up here...

Old 04-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Junior User
Originally Posted by 78 PEB
Dont know where youre from or what you do for a living but I cant affor $5 gas...............And no......I'm not a welfare bum. I work hard for a living........
You talking to me? Nevermind I think I know who you ment.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:43 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
25 mpg's isn't real impressive in today's standards considering a 2011 F-150 4x2 3.7L is rated at 23.

Even the new Mahindra diesel that is allegedly coming to America has been down graded to 21 mpg's highway.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:22 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by monckywrench
Tiny trucks are deathtraps in crashes. Lots of the weight of current vehicles is crash protection.

Americans can afford five-dollar gas (they will squawk, but they can afford it).
I am an American. What are you? Where do you live?

I can not afford $5 a gallon.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:13 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the current U.S spec Ranger is perfect sized for a compact Ford truck. Give a chassis and styling update and then stick a 2.0L Ecoboost and the 3.7L Mustang V6 in it, both paired with a 6-speed automatic. And wham you have a high mileage highly capable small truck.

I think the main reason the Ranger has been dying off over the years is this...

#1 - Lack of overall demand. (Partially Fords fault for not doing serious updates in 15 years)

#2 - It could cut in the F-Series sells...Otherwise known as Fords (Cash Cow).

But even so I think its more reason number 1 than 2.

They could rename it F-100 or F-050 and it would fit right in with the F-Series Sells.

I'm an American and I can still afford 5$ per gallon fillups in the F-150...BUT, I've got a unique set up...Work, Grocery Store, and everything else I need is located very close to my house and all on the same route. So if I can get roughly 500 or 600 miles to a 36 gallon tank and drive roughly 15 to 20 miles a day...I can make a tank of gas last a very long time. But if gas gets to outta hand...well...that's what the no frills Honda Civic is for.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:39 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
I agree with you. I think the Ranger is the perfect little truck. Though, I would like to see an upgraded engine / transmission.

I guess I'm one of the few people who think the Ranger is pretty much perfect. Why replace it with anything else?

The only thing that bothers me is you can't order a singe cab 4-cylinder with four wheel drive anymore.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:26 PM
edwardlloyd
Junior User
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
I agree with you. I think the Ranger is the perfect little truck. Though, I would like to see an upgraded engine / transmission.

I guess I'm one of the few people who think the Ranger is pretty much perfect. Why replace it with anything else?

The only thing that bothers me is you can't order a singe cab 4-cylinder with four wheel drive anymore.
Except in the rest of the world where you can!

Ed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How about a Ford Micro Truck?