guidance on method?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 01:54 PM
ttttmaxx
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guidance on method?

Guys I made a 20 gallon batch of biodiesel this past weekend and thought I would give magnesol a try. The part of my operation which concerns me is filtering the magnesol or is my system adequate. I mechanically (hand mixed) the magnesol for 15 minutes in my cone tank. After that I let it settle for 24 hours. I then slowly and methodically opened my valve and let the ooze flow until nothing was coming out but bio. This took me over an hour as I wanted to make sure the bulk of the paste was drained. I then pumped (diaphragm pump) the bio into a sock filter bag adapter which I bought at Dudadiesel. I had a 10mic, 5mic and a 0.5 micron in series within the adapter. I regulated the pressure somewhat with ball valves to have a steady slow drainage because I was warned you cant overload the adapter heads with a lot of high pressure. Seem to work fairly good. The end result when visually looking was pretty impressive (to me anyway). My biggest concern in my method was "is it enough filtering?" My last sock filter was a 0.5 micron so I would assume it got at least down to 1 micron. Considering my stock fuel filter in the 7.3 is a 7 micron filter I feel like im in good shape. I have read horror stories (mainly from threads like this one) about not getting enough magnesol filtered out to risk engine damage. IS MY SIMPLE SYSTEM ADEQUATE? Or do I need to go to more elaborate procedure. Im the type person that lives by "the simpler the better". You guys that have been using magnesol for a while, I would sure like to have your honest opinion. Thanks Maxx

Old 03-01-2011, 01:59 PM
ttttmaxx
Senior User
Mag.

Originally Posted by ttttmaxx
Guys I made a 20 gallon batch of biodiesel this past weekend and thought I would give magnesol a try. The part of my operation which concerns me is filtering the magnesol or is my system adequate. I mechanically (hand mixed) the magnesol for 15 minutes in my cone tank. After that I let it settle for 24 hours. I then slowly and methodically opened my valve and let the ooze flow until nothing was coming out but bio. This took me over an hour as I wanted to make sure the bulk of the paste was drained. I then pumped (diaphragm pump) the bio into a sock filter bag adapter which I bought at Dudadiesel. I had a 10mic, 5mic and a 0.5 micron in series within the adapter. I regulated the pressure somewhat with ball valves to have a steady slow drainage because I was warned you cant overload the adapter heads with a lot of high pressure. Seem to work fairly good. The end result when visually looking was pretty impressive (to me anyway). My biggest concern in my method was "is it enough filtering?" My last sock filter was a 0.5 micron so I would assume it got at least down to 1 micron. Considering my stock fuel filter in the 7.3 is a 7 micron filter I feel like im in good shape. I have read horror stories (mainly from threads like this one) about not getting enough magnesol filtered out to risk engine damage. IS MY SIMPLE SYSTEM ADEQUATE? Or do I need to go to more elaborate procedure. Im the type person that lives by "the simpler the better". You guys that have been using magnesol for a while, I would sure like to have your honest opinion. Thanks Maxx
I should add that when I removed the sock filters from the adapter head it was very apparent the 5 micron sock filter did the bulk of the filtering. There was very little residue in the 0.5 micron sock, which made me feel better. Thanks Maxx

Old 03-01-2011, 05:33 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds like you did just fine. Most people that have problems do so by trying to filter before settling. It is impressive just how good the bio looks like after using Magnesol. I've been using it for 6+ years and will never do it any other way...............

Old 03-02-2011, 08:04 AM
ttttmaxx
Senior User
Thanks for your input FABMAN. I was wondering if there would be a greater value having a 48 hour settling period instead of 24 hr? I always like to error on the side of safety. Is it your understanding that 24 hours is all that is needed and that waiting 48 hours is not going to drop any more magnesol out. Thanks again Maxx

Old 03-02-2011, 08:07 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I tried different times when I first started and found 0 difference between 24-48 hours.
You should be ready to go!

Old 03-02-2011, 08:12 AM
ttttmaxx
Senior User
Thank you very much.........Maxx